NFL Playoff Format Changing for 2015?

Mac the Knife

Imo it would be even more absurd for a team that won it's division to not make it to the playoffs. I don't care how crappy the division is, they won it, they earned the playoff spot. The 10-6/11-5 team on the outside should have won their division then.

Agreed. I am waiting for the delicious irony of an 11-5 Seahawks team traveling to New Orleans to play the 7-9 Saints.

If it ain't broke (and in my opinion, it ain't broke), don't fix it. Eventually, these anomalies balance out, so don't try to legislate them away.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I think it's fine. The current system emphasizes the importance of winning your division. If you don't, I see no problem with you playing on the road.

Just curious, how often does this whole 7-9 thing actually happen?

Only once, I believe. Saints running the table is the only hope for the NFC South winner not to be under .500.

I'm fine if a division winner has a losing record...four-team divisions can lead to that. It's when a Wild Card team has a .500-record or worse that the NFL really needs to examine their postseason structure. Adding a 7th-seed to each conference opens up that possibility. Hell, we nearly had a .500 Wild Card team in the AFC last season, I think. And San Diego nearly lost a game to the Chiefs' B-squad for that 9th win, right?

As a bunch of Steelers fans reminded me of with their comments after Ryan Succop's missed FG against San Diego - if the Chiefs had won, then 8-8 Pittsburgh would've snaked into the playoffs as a wild card. That would've been a nightmare for most other NFL fans if that Pittsburgh team had made the playoffs.

spacer.png

Archived