Binghamton Devils New Look

Underdog519

I like that they went in a (slightly) different direction. I always liked the Lowell look.

Speaking of, the Mother Ship has the franchise history wrong. It should be Lowell Lock Monsters>Lowell Devils>Albany Devils>Binghamton Devils.

The Albany River Rats moved to Charlotte to become the AHL Checkers. The Devils moved from Lowell to Albany to fill the void left by the River Rats.

As the first new branding project in the post Lamoriello era, its interesting to see how the organization is starting to experiment with the Devils brand. 

While I appreciate branching out beyond the deviled-monogram, the devil head has some serious flaws. In addition to the tail, and lighting inconsistencies with the helmet and visor, I'm also turned off by the inclusion of the Devils wordmark on the helmet in the primary logo. It seems excessive and forced (much like the tail which appears to be growing out of the devil's ear). 

The pitchfork secondary on the other hand is stylistically interesting, but doesn't really do much to communicate the brand. What's really frustrating is I feel like with a little work they could have turned the pitchfork into a capital B (by rotating the pitchfork 90° counterclockwise and threading a vertical element through the tines...say a hockey stick) that would not only connect to Binghamton but also serve as a sly reference to the old Binghamton Whalers. 

Oddly enough, what I find most intriguing about the package is the use of orange and silver/grey as tertiary colors. As others have noted it would have been nice to see at least one of those colors incorporated into the uniform. I realize that the Devils in anything but red/black or red/green is heresy, but I could see the incorporation of silver/grey and orange into either a minor league identity or third jersey. Neither color is used in tandem at the NHL level (that I'm aware of), and I feel like the Flint Firebirds (which is the first team that comes to mind when I think of those two colors) look really sharp. 

Overall I'd give this package a C+. They're trying...and that's good...but they also seemed to half-ass things in some very glaring ways...not unlike the parent club's new jerseys.

I think it's fun enough to be a decent minor league brand, and the sweaters actually don't look too bad for a minor league team. A tail stripe certainly would have been better, but these are ok for a team like the Binghamton Devils. They are in no way appropriate for a traditional team like the New Jersey Devils...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I hate the tail.  Where's it coming from?  The back of his head?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived