Montreal Expos Concept

Sport

Tim Raines' induction to the Hall of Fame inspired me to take a crack at updating the Montreal Expos' look in an alternate and just universe where they never moved.

I tried to consider how they'd be viewed in today's baseball landscape. While their 1992 redesign was attractive it always felt a little too close to the Cubs. I added a silver to differentiate them from the other blue and red teams and went with a double striping as an homage to their racing stripe uniforms of the 80's, but thinned the stripe out a bit to match today's modern aesthetic. The classic abstract M logo has been updated a bit so the e and b match (always bothered me how the e had a hole in it, but the b didn't) and the entire thing has been outline in silver so the whole thing is one cohesive piece. 

I gave them a red-billed home cap to incorporate more color and a pinwheel hat as an occasional alternate. 

Expos.thumb.png.deef339a64fa37ec439881ffe32f17d3.png

Hope you enjoy. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm... just not feeling it. I appreciate the craftsmanship behind the primary logo and the de-emphasis of red on the road uniform, but I'm lukewarm about the rest. The "Meb" just looks squished/awkward compared to the original (despite fixing the consistency problem), the red bill on the home uniform would look really out of place with so little red on the jersey and pants, and the number font is a huge miss. Overall, I'd say it's a downgrade from the 1992-2004 uniforms.

• 2 months later...

Agree with @SFGiants58 - the Meb does look squished, and the red-bill hat is probably my least favorite of the group.  The number font and wordmarks look good to me.  Perhaps too much gray in the roundel; maybe switch the blue and gray in the circle. 

And maybe a red alternate jersey (?)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived