Oldschoolvikings' Ravens Fauxback Concept Brought to Life

HailGoldPants

I've been a long time peruser, occasional poster on these forums for a while now. Over the years, I've seen many great concepts, but there has always been one poster whose concepts I really gravitate towards, Oldschoolvikings.

A few weeks ago, I pulled up his NFL Fauxback Thread and saw his 1965 Baltimore Ravens concept. I really love how it captured the essence of 60's design....

img_5616.jpg

One of my hobbies is building football helmets. I liked Oldschool's Ravens helmet concept so much, that I decided to make an actual helmet based on his design for my personal collection.  Below is the result...

img_5610-e1525874527463.jpg

img_5611-e1525874559738.jpg

img_5612-e1525874610330.jpg

Big thanks to Oldschoolvikings for the inspiration and coming up with this design. Keep up the great concepts......I love 'em!

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

15 minutes ago, HRC4 said:

That helmet is really cool. I'm assuming it's a mini-helmet? Could you explain briefly the process you use to make those?

Thank you. No, this is a full sized helmet. They look small compared to today's modern helmets.

So when I'm ready to make a helmet like this, I'll send an electronic version of the design to a decal company like Healy or Pro-Tuff. From there, we work together to get the colors right and the decals go into production, then sent my way. As for the helmet, I typically restore old, used helmets. For this particular helmet though, I ordered a vintage helmet from Helmet Hut.

11 hours ago, HailGoldPants said:

So when I'm ready to make a helmet like this, I'll send an electronic version of the design to a decal company like Healy or Pro-Tuff. From there, we work together to get the colors right and the decals go into production, then sent my way. As for the helmet, I typically restore old, used helmets. For this particular helmet though, I ordered a vintage helmet from Helmet Hut.

Don't these companies have minimums when placing orders?  So what did you do with the other decals?  I was able get a replica helmet for a cheap price and I want to paint it to my liking.  However I want to put a different decal on each side but I don't want order 15+ of each due to minimums.

9 minutes ago, Earl said:

Don't these companies have minimums when placing orders?  So what did you do with the other decals?  I was able get a replica helmet for a cheap price and I want to repaint paint it to my liking.  However I want to put a different decal on each side but I don't want order 15+ of each due to minimums.

I've found that many, if not most, will only print 15 or 20+ sets of decals for customers. Pro-Tuff however, will do a sample size set, which usually includes 2 sets, for a premium.  Nothing outrageous by any means (around $25), but more expensive on a per decal basis than if you buy in bulk.

Archived