Winterhawks name to change?

Phil

I posted this 'article' on the CFA msg board, but I think it applies here to, seeing as a concept logo would follow... a little OT, but not as bad as some...

WinterHawks Name to Change?

Winnipeg (AP) - Shocking news out of the keystone province today has President and General Manager SyPhi considering changing the Winnipeg WinterHawks name.

Suggestions (which can be posted below) are being accepted under three categories: nicknames to go with "Winnipeg", "Manitoba", or "River City"/"Red River".

"We're just testing the waters at this point," commented SyPhi, "trying to see what's out there. A change is by no means inevitable, but we're disappointed in our inaugural season's merchandise sales as well as how 'Peggers and Manitobans alike took to the name."

A list of suggestions already received was also released. It reads as follows:

"Manitoba:

Express, Flight, Marauders, Mosquitos, Mustangs.

Winnipeg:

Inferno, Warriors, WinterHawks, Whirlwinds, Wolfpack, Wolves, Wolverines.

River City (or) Red River:

NightRiders, Raiders, Rebels, Rebellion, Renegades, Rockers, Rockets."

SyPhi also said that he would like the name to be exciting, active, but said that significance to Manitoba and its history would also be taken into consideration.

An unnamed source close to the team claimed that the name "Massacre" was included on the first draft of the above posted list, but was dropped for emphasizing a dark point in Manitoba's history. SyPhi would neither confirm nor deny the allegation.

He repeated however, that suggestions and ideas were welcome, and that a new name would most definitely bring a vibrant new logo.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• 3 weeks later...

The first of 3 options, using 3 different names, is now up for your viewing pleasure. copy&paste or click&drag.

Red River Express Primary Wordmark

Red River Express Helmet Logo

Suggestions, criticisms, and comments are more than welcome. Also welcome are any logos with people riding horses or wolves. Or both. People riding wolves is out.

Thanks a lot, hope you like it.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The font I used is called Shadow of Xizor, or something to that effect. It is the font that the N64 game "Shadows of the Empire" used for that specific text. I had to squash it down, stretch it widthwise, and manually add the italicized effect. The locomotive is adopted from another logo, however I changed it in many ways.

BTW, if you look on Logoserver, in some of the more minor, obscure leagues, you will find many teams that copy the logos of pro teams. Is this allowed? Sure they may be obscure, but if they're on Logoserver, somebody must see them. At what point do copyright violations kick in?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The second of three proposals for the change in WinterHawks identity has been released for viewing. copy&paste or click&drag

Winnipeg Wolves Primary Wordmark

Winnipeg Wolves Hemlet Logo

A few comments from me first. This logo may not be completely original. Allow me to explain: I found the basic outline for this logo as a background on a page featuring wolf pictures. I thought it was perfect, so I copied it, and in Illustrator edited it somewhat, put colour into it, and BOOM, you have yourself an identity. If anyone knows of the origin of this design idea, please notify me ASAP. Thank you.

Otherwise, please leave comments, cirticisms, and suggestions.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

STL Fanatic: I know what you mean, I'm not sure either about it, but I think, even if I can't use it, I'll have 2 other ideas to choose from. If I can use it, bonus.

tajmccall: Do you mean the old Timberwolves logo? I guess I see the similarity, the wolf-head in the circle, but as far as I'm concerned, that's where the similarities end. I'm biased, but I like my production a lot better than the old Twolves dog.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Number 3 is now here...

River City NightRiders Concept Primary Logo

Check it out, tell me what you think about it. Tell me which of the three you like best, and why. Take into consideration name and logo. Also, tell me how I can improve any one of them. I didn't get many replies about the Wolves, so I'm still looking for some feedback on that one. Comments, criticisms, suggestions are all welcome.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The Wolves logo is quite similar to the logo of the AFL's Connecticut Coyotes from the mid-90's.

Personally, I'd stick with WinterHawks.  I like it.  I'm not keen on the "River City" or other non-geospecific (is that a word?) names.  The artwork for all of your choices so far has been good, however.

I checked the Coyotes logo out on Logoserver, but that wasn't it. I'll keep looking.

I understand how River City or Red River would be consider un-geospecific (top that), as I'd venture to say most cities in North America are built on a river or some body of water. And of course, Red River could mean many towns and/or cities in the Red River valley. I chose River City partly because of River City Sports, who got their start here in Winnipeg (actually a 4 minute walk from my front door).

I would definitely say that having my team be named the Winnipeg ____s (insert team name) would be a priority, however their are some nicknames that go so much better with other place names.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived