*Plays "Taps"*

Ron Mexico

Looks like this soldier's career might be POW/MIA.

Winslow to miss '05 season with torn ACL

ESPN.com news services

Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and will miss the entire 2005 season, a source with knowledge of the situation told the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Winslow underwent an MRI exam on Tuesday at the Cleveland Clinic, and, according to the paper's source, showed "what everyone feared."

Winslow suffered the knee injury, as well as undisclosed internal injuries, on May 1 when he flipped over the handlebars of his motorcycle in a parking lot.

On average, it takes 10 to 12 months to rehabilitate from surgery on the ACL, the major ligament of four in the knee. Winslow is expected to get another medical opinion and, if the ACL tear is confirmed, could be scheduled within a month.

The Browns received the results on Wednesday but they can't release them to the public until Winslow or his family give them permission to disclose any of the injuries sustained in the crash, team spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said.

The club had braced itself for bad news on the former Miami star, who played in only two games as a rookie last season before breaking his right leg while trying to recover an onside kick in Week 2.

While riding his newly purchased motorcycle in a parking lot near his Westlake home, the 21-year-old Winslow was hurt when he slammed the high-powered bike into a curb and went flying over the handlebars.

He spent nine days in the hospital before being released.

Police have concluded their investigation of Winslow's accident and turned over their case to Westlake law director John Wheeler, who will determine whether charges should be filed, Lt. Ray Arcuri said.

Wheeler did not return a phone call seeking comment.

Police never interviewed Winslow about the accident because his attorney wanted to know the questions in advance, said Arcuri, who called the request "silly."

Winslow could be charged with reckless operation, which carries a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail and a $250 fine.

His use of a motorcycle violated standard NFL player contract language that prohibits players from engaging in dangerous activities. The Browns could require him to return millions of dollars in signing bonuses. The team has declined to comment on his contract.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

it sad to see :censored:s lose their career before it begins...

...but yet it's so damned funny!!!

Says the man who was strongly regretting a draft day trade of him just hours after the trade... :P

Guess things worked out for you in this case, huh?

Hindsight's 20/20....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived