Lehigh Valley Outlawz Identity Package

cward

The Lehigh Valley Outlawz of the GLIFL recently had a press conference on August 17th officially introducing the franchise, players, team officials, and new logos.

As the designer of the identity package (Skye Design Studios), I've finally been given the go ahead by the team officials to release the logos. Keep an eye out for the new team website to be unveiled in the upcoming weeks (www.lehighvalleyoutlawz.com).

The keys to this package were to reflect the speed of the indoor game (hence the swooshing arm with football and sheared wordmark) as well as the traditional "outlaw" theme (multiple serifs on a custom wordmark drawn from scratch and the obvious characteristics of the outlaw).

A sublte, but unique aspect of the package is the spur on the end of the wordmark and alternate logo. It was an original way to help brand the franchise while cooresponding with the team nickname.

I'd like to thank Chris, as we always do, since this board was the starting point of this project as well as Jim DePaul (owner) and Felix Gutierrez (marketing director) for this branding opportunity.

As far as the uniforms, they are in the final stages of having my design tweaked here and there and will be unveiled later this year. I rendered a custom number font to help make the uniforms as unique to the Oulawz as possible. I guess thats a pretty good cliffhanger until they are officially unveiled. :D

Without further ado, here is the identity package.

LehighValleyOutlawzIdentityPackagep.png

www.skyedesignstudios.com

First and most importantly, I very hearty congratulations. This is ALWAYS a big deal and no one can ever take that away from you.

It's a little late for critique, but in the interest of fairness I feel like I gotta point out some things.

-The hat looks to be at a 3/4 view, whereas the face is almost a straight side view.

-The underside of the hat is illuminated.

- The 'kerchief knot is positioned such that it feels like it doesn't go around the head/neck but instead located somewhere near the figure's ear.

- The crescent moon shape near the elbow is unclear to me. Is that the knob of the elbow itself?

-The hand could use a little more definition...a couple points or subtle creases to elude to the clenched fingers. As is, it looks a little mitten-like.

Again, congrats, good luck and way to go. It's not my intention to plop in your Cheerios here. But if this were "released" by someone outside the CCSLC we would all comment, so I'm trying to play it straight down the middle.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Thanks for the comments guys.

As for the logo reminding some of the Renegades, heres the scoop. This version is probably the fifteenth draft that we worked through during the nearly year-long process.

The early versions I designed looked nothing like this logo at all, but after some adamant instructions by the owners to have it have a similar feel to the Renegades, I went in this direction.

During the whole process I made sure the logo didnt resemble the Renegades to avoid a branding confusion between the two franchises. It does have the same general theme (outlaw holding a football) but the renderings are completely different.

It was tough to design an original logo for a common nickname without crossing any lines on other existing logos. The final logo, in my opinion, is completely unique from any other existing logo, which was the ultimate goal.

Thanks for the cc Sterling. (the crecent on the glove is the button, and earlier versions had more detail on the hand, but this version was chosen.)

www.skyedesignstudios.com

Archived