Santa Clara Football

sc49erfan15

For the next team in the series, we have Santa Clara, one of the more famous teams to drop football semi-recently, and one of a string of universities in California during the late 80s and early 90's to discontinue the sport. Santa Clara last played football in 1992, and a website dedicated to the return of football to Santa Clara is at LetThemPlay.com.

Onto the concept:

SantaClaraFootball1.png

-Logos were few, far between, and difficult to find. The interlocking SC obviously fit well as a helmet logo, so it went there. I felt the bronco logo was too cartoonish to use on the uniforms, so I...didn't.

-Number font is styled and beveled to emulate the interlocking SC logo.

-Also tried to make the uniforms somewhat modern, but not loud, so we have le color changing stripe on the side of the jersey and pants.

-The throwback alternate is a combination of a jersey and pants style worn in the 1960s with the helmet and SC used with the Broncos' last uniforms in 1992. Note the red and gold color combination in the throwback and the red/black/silver colors of the currents. 49ers biases aside, I like the throwback combination more, but it seems that in recent years, Santa Clara has dropped gold and gone with black and silver as accent colors. Here, I emphasized the red and white, using black or silver nowhere but as trim.

-Much like I used to do in concepts, both the currents and throwback have jersey number connotations. First person to guess both gets a high five*

That's about all I got...C&C is very much welcomed, thanks in advance!

*high five is non-transferable, non-refundable, and recipient is liable for transportation to and from Lee Wicker Hall, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, South Carolina to recieve said high five. Batteries not included. Cash value 1/20 of 1¢. :D

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Awesome work, Shane. The striping pattern is simple yet modern enough to make it distinctive, and I'm really digging the bevel effect on the numbers.

As for the number connotations, I'm certain that #11 is for Steve Nash, and although I don't know who #34 is in honor of, the only major NFL player I remember being from Santa Clara was former 49er TE Brent Jones.

QPR%20Sig.png

Awesome work, Shane. The striping pattern is simple yet modern enough to make it distinctive, and I'm really digging the bevel effect on the numbers.

As for the number connotations, I'm certain that #11 is for Steve Nash, and although I don't know who #34 is in honor of, the only major NFL player I remember being from Santa Clara was former 49er TE Brent Jones.

SCU had a few more fairly well-known players in the NFL:

Bryan Barker, P, 1990-2005

Doug Cosbie, TE, 1979-1988

Tom Fears, WR, 1948-1956 (Transferred to UCLA, though)

Dan Pastorini, QB, 1971-1982

Signed,

MetropolisPt31

SCU Class Of 2003

:D

I really like the good work here, making this look modern and updated, without looking Nike-Trashy. I can't recal having seen dimensional numbers done this well before, congrats on that. Thank youf ro resisting the urge to put more black on it. Also, congrats for not slapping that Fisher-Price horse on there liberally.

Nice color palate to work with, nice retro set, though an interlocking SC is dangerous, in that many MANY schools use somethign similar.. but I dont need to tell a guy who lives in South Carolina.

Over all, very well done.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived