New Baseball Template

ShinyHubCaps

People of CCSLC, I recently decided to purchase a new computer, complete with infinitely more space and other goodies above my last computer, which to this moment is broken and I don't know how to fix it. So, I decided to sit down and enjoy my day off by working on a template. I have seen a couple of templates like these: 3 football and 3 hockey, to be exact. There is also a stationary basketball one, but the in-motion ones look so much cooler.

A couple of things:

1.) It's incomplete and I need some advice.

2.) I need to know if it is viable and worth continuing.

So, here it is, the dynamic baseball template:

PlayerTypeASet2.png

PlayerTypeASet1.png

For starters, the idea is to have a textured look while maintaining the look of a photograph, etc. of an action event. (Here it is the pitcher throwing.) This one only shows the front and part of the side; if I should continue, this will be the base of the backside template.

A couple of things. First, each color is supposed to have four variations (light > > dark of a given color) to do the shadows and whatnot. Does anyone know how to do wrinkles and stuff in Flash? The wrinkles need to look decent and also be fully editable. Second, would anyone use this template to the extent that it is worth doing the backside? (As in the link above, the backside is going to be a batter.)

And, as always, C+C is welcome.

P.S. For the sticklers about the socks, I will include high socks in the next template should I make it. This was from a photo with the long pants over the socks, and also it can be used to showcase the sleeves. The next one will likely have socks and no sleeves.

I love where this can go. Obviously it needs some work but I am glad that someone is working on a baseball action template. I don't know if this is possible but maybe you can make it where it will be easier for novices like me to change the colors of the glove, shoes, or even skin. Good work so far and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Well, I hate to bump my own stuff with only one reply, but here is the updated version. I am now working on a batter, which will be viewed from the back so as to include the nameplate.

PlayerTypeASet2-1.png

(The color is putrid, but it's just a contrast test. It will look good with real jersey colors if I can get the contrast right.)

Also, as per jayjackson3's suggestion, I will try to include interchangeable gloves and skin colors on the raster version. The vector could easily be edited, as could the shoes. It might be hard to edit the glove, etc. with the raster version, so I'll just do 5 or so colors, or more on request (for the gloves, anyway).

So tell me what you think, and hopefully I can make more improvements on this and get going on #2.

Obviously not a lot of hubbub here, but hopefully someone will give some C+C before I polish this off. Here is the finished front (some minor changes) and then the back/batter view done in its entirety.

BaseballTemplatePicture.png

Hey, now that's pretty good. Now I'm not gonna comment on the shading cause I could do no better, but the one thing I hate is on the fronts how the right cuff on the sleeve is just a line and it looks wrong somehow. I'd just experiment with that some, but otherwise it's pretty fantastic I'd say.

Hey, now that's pretty good. Now I'm not gonna comment on the shading cause I could do no better, but the one thing I hate is on the fronts how the right cuff on the sleeve is just a line and it looks wrong somehow. I'd just experiment with that some, but otherwise it's pretty fantastic I'd say.

I must be missing the one you mean. Could you highlight it at all?

Also on the back, the right shoulder looks bland, and I don't know how to fix that... my source picture is a little dark there.

BrewersAlternate.png

In the next few weeks, I'll probably be making some versions of the template available in my sig in case anyone wants to use them. For now, I just have the examples above, and here is the modified version made into its first concept. I fixed the socks and added some wrinkles and cuffs. So without the logos, this is the version that I'll be using as the template. I'll try to make it nice and good for raster, but that will be a while.

I'm in agreement about the pants being long...I know a lot of players wear them that way now, but it looks retarded to me...I'm not knocking your template, but the players who wear the long pants...

I would like to see the pitcher with shorter pants, where the sock is exposed (maybe the template you have and one that's got the pants modified a bit)...Whatever happened to the days of stirrups?

Otherwise, I like the template....Good job on it....

pwmhshpbanner.gif

pwihshpbanner2.gif

I would like to see the pitcher with shorter pants, where the sock is exposed (maybe the template you have and one that's got the pants modified a bit)...Whatever happened to the days of stirrups?

I think they went out when they ended the nylon ration after World War II...

I'm kidding. Anyway, the template was based off a picture of Ben Sheets, so I left it as-is to get the shading and stuff down. I also said that the two (pitcher and batter) were meant to be taken together; one has the sleeves and one has the socks. I thought it was better than both having the sleeves and the socks, but I may reassess that.

Archived