Gfonk's (Mostly) Flawless USNA Concepts

Gfonk04

Hey gang,

I've posted some Navy-related projects before and I churned out a couple that I'd like some feedback on. I've got two coming, and I'll start with one based on the Marine Corps. The Marines are part of the Department of the Navy and about 20% of Naval Academy graduates each year receive a commission as lieutenants in the Marines. Currently, the Mids are wearing a uniform I don't particularly care for for bowl games, Army-Navy and Air Force-Navy. This uniform (upper right) has weird red trim, gold patches in places, and uses the Midshipman's fouled anchor and the Marines' "EGA" device, a combo I don't really care for for reasons that wouldn't bother most people. So I decided to create a concept that was pure Marine for wear in games near the Marine Corps birthday, 10 November.

Navy-Football-Marines-1.png

The color scheme is reminiscient of the Marines' dress uniforms with a black ("midnight" or "navy blue" in military speak) over lighter blue pants. Instead of black, however, I used a dark blue to tie the concept with Navy's standard colors. The red striping on the top is reflective of the red piping on enlisted Marines' dress blues (second from left), and the red "Blood Stripe" is found on NCOs', officers' and generals' dress blue trousers, though without the gold border, which I added to tie it in with the rest of the concept. (The gold is found on officers' mess dress, though.) I also used the EGA as a device on each shoulder.

Navy-Football-Marines-2.png

I've added a red Blood Stripe to the helmet and replaced the "NAVY" wordmark on the back with "MARINES."

Navy-Football-Marines-4.png

I've also added "SEMPER FIDELIS" to the chest of the jersey in gold, and "THE FEW, THE PROUD," the Corps' longtime recruiting slogan to the inside of the collar. The goal with this concept was to make something that still looks enough like Navy Football to be recognized, while also paying tribute to the important role the Corps plays at the Academy.

Thoughts? I've got another one that's a fairly different look for the Mids after this one.

Grunge-Logos.png

This is legitimately awesome. I don't know all the ins-and-outs of Navy tradition, but you've apparently done your homework to include some of the details that you did.

I like the two-tone blue (navy and royal) for the jerseys and pants. Nice work, you should receive a Navy Medal of Courage or General Awesomeness or whatever they award.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Okay, so, based on the two positive comments I've received, I can only assume that all my work is flawless. So, that being said, I will now grace the boards with another new concept. For my avid followers (which is pretty much just me), I posted a USNA concept based on the Blue Angels a while back, and I included a blue cammo job that reminds me of the recent Air Force baseball logo thread. Well, unfortunately, there's more to the Navy than aviation, so I worked up a Battleship Gray ensemble to pay homage to the Navy's surface fleet (i.e. ships).

Navy-Football-Battleship-1.png

The jersey and pants are grey, naturally, and I used the official gray required by the Navy to paint surface ships (as opposed to submarines).

Navy-Football-Battleship-3.png

The helmet is still Navy's traditional gold, but with a gray facemack and padding. The lettering is different here...

Navy-Football-Battleship-2.png

...and on the jersey. This number style comes from the hull numbers used on Navy ships. On the shoulders is the "Anchor, Constitution, and Eagle" found on the Navy Seal and the Navy's Navy Working Uniform. The red-white-and-blue trim hearkens to the bunting used on navy ships for their commissioning ceremonies and other important events.

Navy-Football-Battleship-4.png

On the back is the First Navy Jack, a flag flown by all navy ships when at anchor and bearing the motto: "Don't Tread on Me." On the side panels are the signal flags for the word "NAVY" and are placed there like signal flags are flown from the masts of warships.

If you have feedback, suggestions for improvement, or if you'd like to have a "Like" button added to the forum to save yourself some time, go ahead and let me know.

Grunge-Logos.png

Your numbers are wayyyy too big. Any double-digit number that doesn't include a #1 will wrap under the arms.

The Navy logo lost on the collar...it either needs an outline, or a different colored fabric area at the point of the neckline.

The sleeve logo has too many details to show up...it needs to be simplified somewhat.

You'll never read the "don't tread on me" on the flag behind the collar.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Your numbers are wayyyy too big. Any double-digit number that doesn't include a #1 will wrap under the arms.

The Navy logo lost on the collar...it either needs an outline, or a different colored fabric area at the point of the neckline.

The sleeve logo has too many details to show up...it needs to be simplified somewhat.

You'll never read the "don't tread on me" on the flag behind the collar.

Okay!

I shrunk the numbers, added a little shield around the N-star (a la the NFL logo on their jerseys), and increased the stroke around the shoulder logo. I left the flag the same, since the point of it is to be more like a patch than anything else, so I'm more concerned with representing it accurately than with necessarily making it legible.

Navy-Football-Battleship-6.png

Navy-Football-Battleship-5.png

Thanks for the feedback, good points.

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived