2015 SEC Uniform Updates/Concepts TENNESSEE UP NOW!

AdamGreenGFX

So a while back I introduced myself in the form of creating a uniform template. I've since finished that template. I will release it soon, I just need to clean up a few things and make it a little more user friendly. Once I do that it will be available to you guys to use as you please. I much warn you though, it's a little time consuming, but I think the final result is worth it.

Anyway, first up, The University of Tennessee.

SEC2015UpdateLayout-TennesseeHome_zps9b9

SEC2015UpdateLayout-TennesseeHomeAlterna

SEC2015UpdateLayout-TennesseeRoad_zps793

SEC2015UpdateLayout-TennesseeAlternate_z

Now I really like this concept! I'm not trying to put the other Tennessee concepts down but they have all been so similar that I really just haven't been impressed by any of them.

This one however is really good, you kept a classic look and incorporated the checkerboard and Power T into the concept very well.

There are a few things I don't like. I'm guessing you are modeling it after Florida by using the SEC patch on the collar and using the logo on the jersey, however I don't like this move for Tennessee, I think Florida pulls it off so well because the Gator looks good blown up as a patch on the chest instead of a small collar patch but I think for teams like Tennessee who use a simple logo that it looks better vice versa. I will say it works nicely with your smokey gray alternate though.

I also don't really like the State outline under the number, kind of looks like a tramp stamp. About the only other place it would look good would be over the nameplate unless its sublimated, I just think it clashes with the number on the back to much right now.

Not really a fan of the smokey gray alternate. I think it needs orange numbers and the pants sublimation should stay consistent with the jersey (by this I mean you should either use the sublimated checkers or orange checkers not both). Also the Smokey logo isn't terrible but if you wanna use it on the helmet I'd say you need to ditch the Vols under it and maybe use the oversized logo design similar to Boise State and Mississippi State.

Great start though and I am a huge fan of the template. I'm looking forward to your other concepts!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Sorry for the lack of response, been a little busy. For an update, and to let everyone know, I will start releasing the pieces of this template Tuesday night, for those that want them.

The image you see is 24x36, over sized poster size...my plan is to make official uniform templates and print them out to sale locally. I do a lot of shirts, posters, decals and home crafts for flea markets, festivals and what not. A mans gotta eat right?

Anyway, before I respond to the wonderful CC that's been posted, let me give a little insight on where my mind was when I was doing this.

Firstly the color pallet. Tennessee's official website now lists UT Orange, White and Smokey as their colors, so I wanted to include those three colors in each uniform. I really like the Smokey Grey jerseys that Adidas did for them, I thought at this point black for an alternate was a bit over done. Now it seems a lot of schools are doing dark grey alternates...oh well, something is only fresh and original the first time right?

I wanted to make sure I included an Orange lid, I think it would be nice to see. I know Tennessee goes all orange often, but I thought we would use that as a home alternate and accompany it with an Orange helmet. Would make a great Halloween special uniform.

The double stripe is what is on their pants now, just with a second outline/accent color with it. The reason I chose to add it to the helmet and sleeves is simple, I believe that stripes should be uniform through out a design. If you have a double stripe on the pants, why would you have a single stripe on the helmet. Just something that bothers me with some uniforms these days.

As for the true alternate, the "Smokey Grey", my decision to use the Smokey Logo with the retro wordmark was a long one. I'm still not 100 percent sold on using the wordmark under it, but also with out it I don't like just the hound dog logo. It's not the Tennessee Hound Dogs. I just wanted to include that logo as a call back to the name of the uniforms. I took out all the light blue in the actual logo and replaced it when grey to further tie it in.

I must admit there are some sloppy aspects of this I'm not proud of. I spent so much time drawing all this and building it from scratch, I was almost to the point where I just wanted to make a concept, to get into the "fun part" of it if you will. A couple numbers are the wrong way, and on the Smokey Grey full player model I forgot numbers on the shoulders completely. That was just a result of me doing these in the middle of the time, just excited to actually get a concept up, and I rushed it a bit. I won't be posting sets every day, but I will be doing them often, I just want to make sure I give myself enough time to pay attention to detail.

I won't be changing a concept once I post it, but I do wish for the CC to keep coming, as I will use it to learn and improve on future designs. For example, someone said something about the "Power T" being used as a patch, while I'm not gonna change the Tennessee concepts, I will consider that in the future when using a smaller more simple logo as a patch.

I will try to respond to everyones post myself, so please keep the comments coming. I do ask, that like most have already done, if you don't like something take a moment to explain why you don't like it. This is a learning process for me as well, and just because I like something, and it looks good in my eyes doesn't mean at all that it's a good idea for the general public.

Now I really like this concept! I'm not trying to put the other Tennessee concepts down but they have all been so similar that I really just haven't been impressed by any of them.

This one however is really good, you kept a classic look and incorporated the checkerboard and Power T into the concept very well.

There are a few things I don't like. I'm guessing you are modeling it after Florida by using the SEC patch on the collar and using the logo on the jersey, however I don't like this move for Tennessee, I think Florida pulls it off so well because the Gator looks good blown up as a patch on the chest instead of a small collar patch but I think for teams like Tennessee who use a simple logo that it looks better vice versa. I will say it works nicely with your smokey gray alternate though.

You are correct about the patch drawing inspiration from Florida. I was torn with this decision, and at the end of the day I just felt like there needed to be a little more of an emphasis on the Power T on the jersey. Looking back at it, between the helmet and pants, it may have been too much.

I also don't really like the State outline under the number, kind of looks like a tramp stamp. About the only other place it would look good would be over the nameplate unless its sublimated, I just think it clashes with the number on the back to much right now.

I'm a huge fan of the state outline, and I'm not so sure it's not so much the placement as it is the size. I think it's way to big, after looking at the finished design. I actually wanted to put the outline above the nameplate, like on the real Tennessee Adidas unis, but when I drew the template I didn't leave myself room to put it there, and it look like it was supposed to be there. I was too lazy to redraw everything, so I put it under the numbers, I think now I will still be ok with it there, but I think it needs to be a lot smaller. It does clash with the number very much.

Not really a fan of the smokey gray alternate. I think it needs orange numbers and the pants sublimation should stay consistent with the jersey (by this I mean you should either use the sublimated checkers or orange checkers not both). Also the Smokey logo isn't terrible but if you wanna use it on the helmet I'd say you need to ditch the Vols under it and maybe use the oversized logo design similar to Boise State and Mississippi State.

I was trying to tie the pants to the helmet with the same checker pattern. I felt like the Orange collar with the checker inlay, combined with the helmet and pants would go together very well. But this is the kind of criticism I need to hear/see so that the next overall theme I come up with, I can design with these things in mind.

I talked a little bit about why I went the way I did with the alternate logo, I think I'm gonna stick to my guns on that one.

Great start though and I am a huge fan of the template. I'm looking forward to your other concepts!

Thank you for your thoughts, one of the better comments so far.

The numbers on the sleeves are upside down on the white and gray jerseys. Too much smokey gray for my liking.

I noticed that after you said something. I must have gotten confused with direction. I then noticed also, I didn't even include shoulder numbers on the Smokey Grey full player. Thanks for pointing that out.

Way to get creative here. As a Tennesseean, I actually think it would be welcomed. Do Vandy next

Thank you for your interest, I was actually debating doing Auburn next, but Vandy is high on my list because I really like the black and gold color combination.

I really like all the views and details for the uniform. However, the presentation is very, very crowded. Maybe try uncluttering all the different aspects for a better view of everything.

AGGFX, I would just eliminate the background and just put a white background. I think that that is what is making it look cluttered.

tinysig.jpg

Archived