Latest "news" from the A B A...

Brian in Boston

Well, just when you though that the ABA had no self-control when it came to the subject of expansion, the league has announced that they're set to place a new team in San Antonio, Texas... for 2005! I nearly fell out of my chair when I realized that Joe Newman and the gang at ABA headquarters hadn't strong-armed owner Kevin Ray Sanderson into setting up shop for this season. Will wonders never cease?

On the team identity front, rumor has it that Calgary, Alberta's ABA team will be called the Calgary Drillers.

Finally, the Boston Frenzy will be playing their home games at the 3,000-seat Francis Tripp Athletic Center... on the campus of UMass-Dartmouth... in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts... 60 miles from Boston! I guess the 3,500-seat Clark Athletic Center at UMass-Boston must have been too "cavernous" for their needs. I wonder how the locals in Southeastern Massachusetts feel about having the Boston place-name splashed all over the franchise? 60 miles?!?!? That makes the 32-mile jaunt from downtown Detroit to the Palace at Auburn Hills seem like a stroll to your next-door neighbor's house.

Brian in Boston

Finally, the Boston Frenzy will be playing their home games at the 3,000-seat Francis Tripp Athletic Center... on the campus of UMass-Dartmouth... in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts... 60 miles from Boston! I guess the 3,500-seat Clark Athletic Center at UMass-Boston must have been to "cavernous" for their needs. I wonder how the locals in Southeastern Massachusetts feel about having the Boston place-name splashed all over the franchise? 60 miles?!?!? That makes the 32-mile jaunt from downtown Detroit to the Palace at Auburn Hills seem like a stroll to your nextdoor neighbor's house.

Brian in Boston

hahahahahaha, that's like a "Kansas City" team playing home games in Topeka, Kansas. that's about how far part we are.

Finally, the Boston Frenzy will be playing their home games at the 3,000-seat Francis Tripp Athletic Center... on the campus of UMass-Dartmouth... in North Dartmouth, Massachusetts... 60 miles from Boston! I guess the 3,500-seat Clark Athletic Center at UMass-Boston must have been to "cavernous" for their needs. I wonder how the locals in Southeastern Massachusetts feel about having the Boston place-name splashed all over the franchise? 60 miles?!?!? That makes the 32-mile jaunt from downtown Detroit to the Palace at Auburn Hills seem like a stroll to your nextdoor neighbor's house.

Brian in Boston

Or maybe they were smart enough to realize that no hoops team that goes toe to toe with the Celtics in Boston is gonna survive.

Of course, they should've thought about this BEFORE they put a team in Mass to begin with...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

The RimRockers, the Drillers...they need a double entendre division!

Drillers isn't that bad of a name,really. They couldve done worse.

They certainly could have--apparently the owner was speaking with a fan in Calgary and he suggested the name and designed a logo--now how a team that's just begun can have a fan?

Hopefully the story is true and it was a fan from these boards...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived