Design Pet Peave Question

Sport Billy

Compare this Athletics logo

sioej7efu95jbuxer1tg16ji6.gif

With the logo of my beloved Cardinal's

St_Louis_Cardinals.jpg

Or even Ole Miss

brand.gif

Unlike the Athletics logo, the Cardinals do not "carve out" the center of letters.

One could argue (incorrectly IMO) that the thickness of the border in the "a" and "d" are simply too thick to leave any space. But that certainly doesn't explain the "s" or the area around the tail.

The Ole Miss logo has two identical letters, "s", yet the internal spacing is different.

It drives me nuts.

So, could someone in the field explain this to me?

Is it pure laziness or is there actually a legitimate design reason behind this?

Thanks

Looking at the Capitals' logotype, the white outline is the correct width, and at that width the outline at that width the 'c' and 'p' would be cut out while inside the 'a's would be filled in, making for some jarring negative space.

There are a lot of things I don't like about this Caps' logotype, most notably that it is dated and poorly executed. The 'C's strokes are different from everything else within the logotype and should be redrawn, and there are different shearing angles on the logotype, stars, stick and puck.

The best thing they've ever worn is still the star-spangled sweater of the 1970s-90s.

Archived