US based CFL teams

Stampman

While I wasn't a big fan of most of the US based teams unis I did do all of them for Madden 2002, then re-did them for 2004. I have decide to post them to see what others think and if you have any comments or suggestions--I have not set these up in a league yet so I can actually use any uniform suggestions you have (although you can change helmet & logos mid stream)

First up-the first US based team--The Sacramento Gold Miners...

Below from left to right home, road, alt home, alt road...

Madden has some limitations on stripes etc so the home & raod aren't exact--but if you think I messed something up--let me know.

For the alts I tried a lot of different things and none looked as good as these--but any suggestions would be welcome...

Thanks,

Gminers.jpg

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for the comments...

Well the actual helmets were white so I wwnt with those--and I did try gold pants on the alts, I still may do that in the final product--

They looked better on the roads than the home alts...

(and have you checked on the Bombers unis on page 3 of my 32 team Madden CFL thread?--it feature the Bombers--the unis are based on the ones a copule of years back--but I've been having trouble with the helmet colour)

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Next up the San Antonio Texans...

When the Gold Miners entered the league, a team with the name San Antonio Texans was supposed to enter as well, but their ownership fell through, so just the Gold Miners entered as the sole US team. After 2 seasons in Sacramento, the Gold Miners became the San Antonio Texans.

SO 1-How did I do on the actual unis? (I'm working on doing the snake skin stripe on the helmets)

2-What do you think of the alts---basically I've emphasized the red for them.

texans.jpg

Thanks for the comments...

Continuing with actual teams, the most succesful of the US based teams is up next--Baltimore, eventually known as the Stallions, but originally to be called the Colts, until the NFL... Well let's just say--don't get me started...

From left to right-

Home, road, home alt, road alt

stallions_unis.jpg

I based the primaries on the actual unis, and I love the logo...

The actual unis were simple, but effective--and I kept that philosophy in the alts...

I tried some different ideas--some a little out there--but none of them worked for me...

Let me know what you think, and as always suggestions for the alts is welcome, and corrections on the primaries as well...

Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

By request on the Canadian CFL thread here's what I did with the Shreveport Pirates-

From left to right-home, road, alt home, alt road-

pirates.jpg

The home & away are as close as you can get in Madden 2004--there were some discrepancies in colours and stripes in images I found on the internet--so you may have some different ideas--if so share them and I'll see if these could look better-

For the alts I was playing around with other options for the purple & orange they used, but I'm very open for suggestions here--I'm not totally sold on them--especially the home alt...

And mudbug--the other requests you had are forthcoming...

As per mudbug's request--here are links to the logos for the Shreveport Pirates for Madden--they should be usable in 2003-and are already in BMP format-

Pirate midfield

endzone

sliver

helmet

logo--pink is a transparent colour

let me know what you think...

Thanks

Hmm, and I already answered the PM...

Well I suppose that would be possible--(although see my PM)

And that's weird as the links work for me--did you try copy & paste?

If anyone else wants them (and c&p doesn't work)--let me know...

• 2 weeks later...

Next up -the one season non wonders and ruiners of "Oh Canada"-

the Las Vegas Posse.

The primaries are how they really looked I believe--no stripes except the helmet--so for alts I gave them more stripes and played around with the colours...

as always comments are welcome (and since I haven't started the league I'll use them in I can change them if you have any suggestions!

72c8a6d5.jpg

(home, road, home alt, road alt)

Thanks...

They look nice. Great work!

Oh Yeah,..... oh christmas tree, oh christmas tree..... :D

Thanks...

(And I saw that game on TV--that anthem mangling is etched in my memory--how can I get it out?)

Me again--this time with the second last of the US based teams-

the Memphis Maddogs (or was it Mad Dogs?--they seemed to use both--or just use CAPS)

Memphis committed what most here would consider a major uniform faux pas--they had different colour sets for their home & away--not completely different--both used green--

BUT their home unis were green, white & a variation of red (almost into the purple spectrum) while their road unis were green, white, yellow, and a dark blue-grey.

Odd...

Anyway it gave me something to do with the alts--I used the primary home colour set for the road alts, and the primary road set for home alts--so if you want to be consistent with these options--you can...

One change I had to make was that they used the dog logo on the bottom edge of their jersey in the front--can't do that in Madden...

see this

46eeb1c7.png

So until next time with the Birmingham Barracudas--this is Stampman

Remember comments are welcome as I get closer to the launch of my MAdden league with the US teams in it...

I know you're looking--I see the view # increase, but if you have no comment--that's okay too...

Any way--to complete the "original 7" US based CFL teams...

The Birmingham Barracudas...

I thought the 'Cudas and the Stallions had the best looks of the US based teams, even if the Cudas--like the Maddogs--had a logo on the bottom of their jerseys, which I can't do here---

I stayed as close as possible on the primaries, including the shoulders--the alts are loosely based on how I did the team for 2002 with no shoulder stripes option, but I did change the pants for variety...

And did I mention how I hate the middle stripe having to match the jersey?

Again I do welcome comments --the closk is ticking, and if you want to brag you gave me a suggestion I used--now is the time (okay that's a bit over dramatic!)

So here they are Home, road, home alt, road alt-

99858fdf.png

And a shot of a 'Cuda getting in place for the kickoff

for a better look at the primary home...

I may post a shot of the 2002 version--but it's not where I thought it was...

(oh and don't think this is over--I created 9 teams to be a 16 team US division against 16 Canadian teams, who have their own thread...)

Well I'll get back on the other 'Cuda shot from 2002...But now the first of 9 created teams for the 16 team US conference in my CFL Madden league-

The Jackson Stingrays...

Why Jackson (Mississippi)?

Because Jackson was a rumored location for the Las Vegas Posse to move to before they folded.

Why the Stingrays?

Sort of a reference to Birminham being the Barracudas---just a neat name--Birmingham isn't noted for Barracudas--and the owner admitted as much...

Plus I had a neat logo with nowhere else to use it...

Colours--I originally came up with this colour set for another team I decided to not use--but I liked the colours--and wasn't happy with what I had for the Stingrays-so I dumped that colour set and used this one. I really like that shade of blue--and the shade of purple--I got them just fooling around in the uniform editor.

So anyway--on to the unis-

Left to right-

Home, Road, home alt, road alt

5c692bca.png

and maybe the Scorps will be up next...

Comments as always are welcome---I haven't staretd this league yet--and if you have a good suggestion--I can & will use it...

Thanks...

I like the Stallions the best. But i am a little parttial being from Baltimore and a fan of the CFL. You forgot to mention they are the only non-canadian team to win the Grey Cup, in 1995. And they should have won it in 1994 had the refs not screwed them, trying to prvent the Cup from leaving Canada. The next year they were just to strong, and not even the refs could prevent Destiny. I think that's why they eliminated the american teams. They feared the CFL becoming like the NHL, with the american cities dominating the championships. Thus losing something that was a candian sport to the southern neighbors, once again.

Back on point. I like them all, except the white on white. Never have been a fan of all white.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

I like the Stallions the best. But i am a little parttial being from Baltimore and a fan of the CFL. You forgot to mention they are the only non-canadian team to win the Grey Cup, in 1995. And they should have won it in 1994 had the refs not screwed them, trying to prvent the Cup from leaving Canada. The next year they were just to strong, and not even the refs could prevent Destiny. I think that's why they eliminated the american teams. They feared the CFL becoming like the NHL, with the american cities dominating the championships. Thus losing something that was a candian sport to the southern neighbors, once again.

Back on point. I like them all, except the white on white. Never have been a fan of all white.

Ya know, maybe it was the fact that they couldn't get a decent TV contract in the US, it made travel costs sky high, that the market was already glutted with College and High School football, most fields weren't regulation, teams lost millions of dollars (Birmingham lost 10), and most of the weak attendence at games were free tickets, or that nobody except Baltimore cared.

Or maybe it was a conspiracy.... :P

Since I wasn't giving a history of the US based teams--except as was relevant ot the post--I didn't mention they won the Grey Cup--besides they beat the Stamps--who partied too much before the game...

Any way Habsfannova gives the real reason the US teams folded...

Las Vegas tried to move, Shreveport tried to move, others did too...

Even Miami was rumored as a destination (the Manatees!)

Sacramento did move...

After the 3rd year all the US teams but Baltimore threw in the towel, and Baltimore was getting the Ravens...

So with the NFL in town and no other US teams it didn't make sense--and that's a shame--Baltimore had a decent fan base, and if given a better shot could have done something with that...

Thanks for the comments too Caolina Joe...

I like all whites for some teams--but they don't work for everybody so I don't have them for all teams, however some of the actual US based teams did use all white unis--so I showed that here--and if I don't like it --I'll use the alt--if I made the alt all white--then I guess I like it, but I tried to be a bit more colourful with most alts...

Well I'll get back to it with a bonus picture--

Here's the Texans seen previously with an attempt at the snakeskin helmet stripe-and their road alts--not sure how well it will show up though...

e12cedc1.png

And new team time--the Columbus Hammerheads-

Why Columbus?

Why not? I know there are 2 Ohio teams in the NFL, but Columbus was rumored to be a CFL destination--although not as strong as Jackson, Norfolk, Portland or even Miamai

Why the Hammerheads?

I found references somewhere to a Columbus Hammerhead team-& I didn't have a better name--and I do like the name...

Colours--edited to show new colours-as per a suggestion from rmered--thanks-

So left to right-home, road, home alt, road alt...

ca0241ba.png

Archived