Brenland Eight-Man Football League - Fictional History (1951)

Steelman

I like the scoreboards for the finals. Will the team logos replace the helmets when teams adopt logos?

Thanks! Yes, most likely. Or updated helmets with their current look and logo at the very least.

I've been working on team logos despite teams not placing them on their helmets for a few more years. Getting something to look like it might exist in the 50's is pretty difficult but in honor of Codrad's win, here's their logo and wordmark which is very simple and features a variant of the Maltese Cross on a roundel meant to represent a shield similar to the Visigoths.

Codrad%20Crusaders%201950%20Logo2_zpscm6

I'm not good at logos (one reason I'm doing the graphic side of this project) so any C&C would be helpful and much appreciated.

The logo looks good, and could be a timeless look. The cross is strong, and can be dropped right onto the helmet when the time comes.

The wordmark seems unnecessary. If you look at "The Mothership", no NFL team had a wordmark officially until the Packers in 1959, and then no one else got one until 1968 when the Steelers adopted theirs. Wordmarks appear to have become a "thing" in the 70s.

The logo looks good, and could be a timeless look. The cross is strong, and can be dropped right onto the helmet when the time comes.

The wordmark seems unnecessary. If you look at "The Mothership", no NFL team had a wordmark officially until the Packers in 1959, and then no one else got one until 1968 when the Steelers adopted theirs. Wordmarks appear to have become a "thing" in the 70s.

Thanks for the feedback! You are right about the wordmarks, it took me awhile to locate any information though, did you know that offhand or do you have a resource you pulled from? If so, I'd certainly would like to know of it.

Teams will probably introduce "crests" somewhat early compared to the Mothership, as this fictional country is set in a Northern Europe type of environment, so many of the people involved have grown up with soccer and rugby.

In the wake of Codrad's success and usage of a roundel and Maltese Cross, a few other teams also followed suit and began sporting logos.

An oblong football shape with end stripes similar to their uniforms and a serif G in the middle appeared on several Galus Admirals press reports. Some fans complained that it looked too much like a rugby ball. The team, however, gave no formal word on the subject.

Galus%20Admirals%201951%20Logo_zpsg6f2sr

A one-round rookie draft was held prior to the start of the '51 season but it was not announced nor were any reporters allowed to participate. Teams released reports afterward on new additions to the team. The draft class was headlined by #1 overall pick DE/TE Cecil Perkins from Bodren who was selected by the Galus Admirals.

The owners convened for a weekend but no league or team changes were announced. Rumors abounded, however, that Regals owner Tom Regal was furious with how his star quarterback Tim Delaney was treated during the playoffs and cried foul that the other owners had it out for him and motioned for more protective rules. This was met with silence until Ospreys owner Owen Heulog finally spoke up and declared that yes they did have it out for him but he wouldn't vote for any rules changes based on two games. The other owners agreed and the matter was dropped.

1951 Season

1951%20Season%20Standings_zpseskk1ev7.pn

*Note: I realized I misused the Regal QB's name previously, it should be Tim not Tom.

The second season of the new league was decidedly different than the first as teams jockeyed for position. It started similarly though, as the Regals again dropped their opening game to the Dragons in what was quickly becoming a stellar rivalry. The Dragons started off hot, winning 4 straight, including a second win against the Regals in Aswana, until S/QB Calvin Clayton broke his right leg against a still-struggling Galus and then lost 6 straight to finish a disappointing season. Abrea’s stumbles helped Aswana maintain a hold on the division despite a middling record and Kastela, with an improving CB/QB Virgil Fowler throwing to TE/CB Elijah Dempsey, also managed to finish at .500 to get into the playoffs for the first time.

Reigning champion Codrad opened the season in a funk and struggled to even log two wins in the division. The Crusaders finally got back on track mid-season but by then it was too late as a Week 9 loss to the Regals on a 4th quarter comeback drive by Tim Delaney effectively shut the door. Hesken kept up their pace from the previous season with their unstoppable ground attack but Bodren was the surprise as the Serpents’ talented but inexperienced squad, led by LG/DT Floyd Bender and QB/MLB Milton Shaw, beat Codrad twice, split with Hesken, and won 6 of their last 7 games to snatch a division lead from the Bombers. Bloso also made a late effort to sneak into the 2nd seed, but like Codrad, their paltry division record was too steep an obstacle.

Playoff preview:

Kastela Ospreys vs Aswana Regals

With both teams squeaking into the playoffs on middle-of-the-road records, the home team is favored based on more experience with the Regals having Tim Delaney leading the way. Ospreys rookie DT/RG Nathan Cedar has been a force up front though which has allowed phenom Elijah Dempsey to shine in the defensive secondary. This game could come down to which team can better win the field position battle.

Hesken Bombers vs Bodren Serpents

The Bombers are looking to avenge their disastrous playoff loss last season but will have to do so on the road against a Bodren team that is on an unprecedented hot streak. The Serps, under coach Marvin Griffin, added unique wrinkles to the T-formation offense that opposing defenses have had trouble diagnosing. The game figures to be an offensive showdown as the Bombers’ Power-I has led the league in yardage two years in a row. This game will come down to which defense can make adjustments.

Dempsey, Fowler, and Cedar are going destroy the 'Swans and take the championship!

Bodren will have a tough win vs Hesken i think

That south division is doing good with every team .500 or above

IMG_1942.PNG

image.png

Archived