NHL All-Star Game Jerseys Concept

hockey week

Way back in July of 2013, I posted a concept that featured a 4-game NHL All-Star Game playoff

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/johnious/concept%20jerseys/NHLallstarscompiled_zps61b299cc.jpg

It featured four unique jerseys with individual designs, before the NHL division names were even announced.

NHLallstarscompiled_zps61b299cc.jpg

The NHL has since used this idea, but they kept the draft idea. I think it's important to eliminate this idea and keep things within each division, because the NHL is all about promoting rivalries, and this suddenly makes that much more interesting.

I say "concepts", plural, because I'm taking the idea that I've heard countless times on this board, but I've never seen actually used:

The jersey template each year matches the host city.

This gives fans who like a jersey but want to wear a different color a chance to do that. I would've thought that wasn't a good thing, but having hats with team logos in all sorts of colors has been far more popular than I ever would've guessed.

The colors are division-centric:

Pacific - Green, Silver, Black

Central - Red, Black, Silver

Metropolitan - Gold, Black, Silver

Atlantic - Blue, Silver, Black

This is a test set, and I can do the rest if this is seen as a good idea.

NHL%20all%20star%20four%20teams%20logos%

This year: Nashville:

NAS_zpsjaed94bo.png

Anaheim:

ANA_zpsvydk4oue.png

Boston:

BOS_zpsdz4z8abc.png

Buffalo:

BUF_zpsr9uuzsus.png

CGY_zpstmnaxluv.png

Chicago:

CHI_zpsefhcnswl.png

Columbus:

CLB_zpslqsxxlnp.png

Colorado:

COL_zpserlkbnxt.png

Thoughts? Something worth finishing?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

If you make the socks dependent on the team the player plays for, why not use each teams template for each jersey and make the colors all the same?

So for the Central Division, all the jerseys/socks/helmets would be red with black trim (or blue with gold, etc) but that color palette is applied to each teams uniform template individually.

If you make the socks dependent on the team the player plays for, why not use each teams template for each jersey and make the colors all the same?

So for the Central Division, all the jerseys/socks/helmets would be red with black trim (or blue with gold, etc) but that color palette is applied to each teams uniform template individually.

OOOOOOHHH that's an interesting idea.

Ok, just thinking out loud. people shouldn't be that confused by different templates on the ice because the colors would all be the same.

The down side would be that you'd only need one additional jersey design per team, because the divisions wouldn't change very often, so the color wouldn't change. In theory, the All-Star Game would always look relatively the same each year, as team jerseys don't change that often anyway.

If there was a permanent solution, that would be it, without a doubt. I suppose the division colors could change more often, too, those are arbitrary anyway.

While the advantage with my idea is that when a city hosts an all-star game, their fans get the opportunity to buy their team's jersey template in four different colors. Is that better than your idea? I'm honestly not sure.

I definitely want to hear thoughts on this, because I like the idea.

OOOOOOHHH that's an interesting idea.

Ok, just thinking out loud. people shouldn't be that confused by different templates on the ice because the colors would all be the same.

The down side would be that you'd only need one additional jersey design per team, because the divisions wouldn't change very often, so the color wouldn't change. In theory, the All-Star Game would always look relatively the same each year, as team jerseys don't change that often anyway.

If there was a permanent solution, that would be it, without a doubt. I suppose the division colors could change more often, too, those are arbitrary anyway.

While the advantage with my idea is that when a city hosts an all-star game, their fans get the opportunity to buy their team's jersey template in four different colors. Is that better than your idea? I'm honestly not sure.

I definitely want to hear thoughts on this, because I like the idea.

How about this, since the All Star game is typically conference based, how about using the host city colors for the different conferences? Or even just using them for the "home" team, with the visitor in "NHL" colors (white jerseys with black/silver(more preferably orange) trim). So for this year's All Star game, Brandon Saad and Steven Stamkos are wearing "NHL"-ized, white versions of the Bluejackets and Lightning jerseys while Patrick Kane is wearing a navy version of the Blackhawks sweater and Daniel Sedin is wearing a gold version of the Canucks. This way you get different colors, while still allowing enough contrast in a scenario that would change every year.

You might be on to something there. You need four colors. Most teams have two official colors, some have three. that fourth color can be white, sometimes black when that isn't a team color.

So Nashville could see gold, blue, white, and black (though navy and black are close, which is not good).

There's a kernel of a genius idea here, but it isn't fleshed out yet. Hopefully there'll be some comments that help push this in the right direction

How about the visitor colors are any two colors that successfully contrast with the home team? So say the game is held in Staples Center. Home team Pacific wears Black, Central wears Silver, Metro wear blue, Atlantic wears red (or maybe purple and gold as a nod to the Lakers/retro Kings). So the visiting team just wears anything that successfully contrasts. Game in Pittsburgh: Metropolitan wears yellow, Atlantic wears black, Central wears green, Pacific wears white.

Archived