Logos for a new hockey league

SR Designs

Only some of the teams I've made will be showcased (logos only), anyway here they are as followed:

New York Fleet

Indianapolis Speed

Los Angeles _______

Ohio Seventeens (Ohio is the 17th state)

Ottawa Sounders

Philadelphia Liberty

Tampa Bay Raid

(The blank is there so there is no hint to what kind of hockey league these logos are apart of)

NY Fleet.jpg

Indianapolis Speed Logo 2.jpg

LA Queens Crown.jpg

Ohio.jpg

OttawaCitySkyline-Sounders.jpg

Philly Liberty Logo.jpg

Tampa Bay Raid.jpg

New York Fleet: I like the idea of the name and the logo, but the buildings need work, the empire state building is recognizable but then there are 6 generic buildings surrounding it.

Indianapolis Speed: Probably the best of the group

Los Angeles: Looks like the team name will be Kings or something else dealing with royalty. It looks rather generic. I don't think I could make any suggestions without knowing what the name is. But consider the NHL team in LA is the Los Angeles Kings, I would consider a new identity for your LA team.

Ohio Seventeens: Creative idea for the name. The logo once again looks generic. Maybe use the outline for the state of Ohio and have the 17's filling the interior of the outline.

Ottawa Sounders: Why Sounders for Ottawa? Ottawa is not around a sound (which is an ocean inlet). When I saw the logo, I thought it was for Seattle, but the cityscape didn't look familiar.

Philadelphia Liberty: No real complaints.

Tampa Bay Raid: It looks like the T is contoured to match the shield but the B looks straight in comparison. The sword and shield doesn't feel like it matches the team name that well. Raid sounds like it should have a pirate motif.

It also looks like the league as a whole needs some more color diversity. Lots of Red and Blue, some Yellow, some Black, a little Gray.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

In addition to what @eick74 said, the logos feel very generic. There's nothing about any of them that would indicate a hockey logo. If anything, I think they have more of a soccer or rugby feel.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1. Based off Berlin Warhawks, minor adjustments to 3 dimensional effect

2. New Orleans Devils, threw this one together rather quickly, will more likely than not go back in and give it more depth

3. Based off logo from Create-A-Team in NHL 08 that I remembered from my childhood

4. Houston Galaxy, same as New Orleans, get more depth within the logo.

Based on the critique given to my previous designs, this will probably be the last of the 300 some teams/logos I'm showing for this hockey league concept.

Chicago Warhawks Wordmark.jpg

New Orleans.jpg

Orlando Dolphins w wordmark.jpg

Houston Galaxy Alt.jpg

3 minutes ago, SR Designs said:

2. New Orleans Devils, threw this one together rather quickly, will more likely than not go back in and give it more depth

3. Based off logo from Create-A-Team in NHL 08 that I remembered from my childhood

Based on the critique given to my previous designs, this will probably be the last of the 300 some teams/logos I'm showing for this hockey league concept.

New Orleans.jpg

Orlando Dolphins w wordmark.jpg

Houston Galaxy Alt.jpg

And yes, I know of the little "see through" part of the Houston logo

Guest darkpiranha

Don't stop showing your logos, especially if you have all of them done already.  You're not getting any "These SUCK!" critiques, you're getting honest feedback with valid suggestions.  I know it's probably not the reaction you were hoping for, but this is the trajectory of everyone who's ever tried to design logos.  Just pure speculation here, but I'll guess that you're self-taught and have seen your own abilities grow over the time you've been doing this.  All of these logos so far show lots of promise.  The thought process that has gone into each one is fun to see.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing all of them.  But at the same time, these all need a lot of polish and refinement to move into the realm of being solid logos.  The line weight suggestion is especially true.  Take, for example, the New York Fleet.  Solid concept.  But the line weights are too thin. Compare the Warhawks logo with all the others.  The Warhawks logo has dimensionality to it because of the varying line weights (not just the shading).  The thin line weights become an issue when a logo is reduced down significantly (which all logos eventually will be in various usages).  Try it yourself in your graphics program.   Shrink the size down to maybe the size of a quarter or postage stamp.  Evaluate it at that stage and see what elements of the logos disappear or blend together in an unwanted way.  Then do the same thing with some 'real' logos, especially the iconic ones.  Using the Fleet again for an example, when shrunk down, all indications that the elements are ships and buildings get lost and it becomes a big grey shape.  This is something all designers do with every logo, and it's very often a disheartening realization that a logo is too complex or busy or lacking enough contrast or shapes blend together or whatever.  

But please don't be discouraged.  There are an unbelievable number of designers who have come through this forum starting off with a definite talent, but that we've seen their skills grow exponentially the more they kept on sharing their designs and then listening to the sincere feedback and incorporating it over and over.  Check out the evolution of the Windell918 from three years ago to now (it's a long thread, but skip around. Watch as he posts his designs, gets less-than-enthusiastic feedback on some, then adjusts based on that feedback. It happens over and over.  Not every design ends up being a home run, but he never stopped charging ahead and his designs kept getting better and better).
 http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/93267-pdc-the-professional-dodgeball-coalition/?page=1

1 hour ago, SR Designs said:

I did the original Warhawk/Eagle logo in a thread from over a year ago. (Although I'm pretty sure I used the eagle head and lightly modified it from something else)
eagles_zps5a0d5fca.png

warhawks2_zps47731cb4.png

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:18 PM, HarperK said:

I did the original Warhawk/Eagle logo in a thread from over a year ago. (Although I'm pretty sure I used the eagle head and lightly modified it from something else)
eagles_zps5a0d5fca.png

warhawks2_zps47731cb4.png

Got the logo off of google images when I searched a Warhawks logo....applause to you for the cool logo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived