MLB Rivalry Faceoff - Tigers vs. Pirates

coco1997

Good morning! I'm back with the second installment in my short MLB Rivalry Face-off series, inspired by @Discrimihater's series. Today I tackle the Detroit Tigers & Pittsburgh Pirates. Compared to my Padres & Mariners concepts, I got a lot crazier with these designs, at least for the road sets. Let's start with the Tigers:

Tigers%20Rivalry%20Series.jpg

The Tigers home is based on the current uniform of the Erie Seawolves, the Double-A affiliate of the Tigers who for ten years were an affiliate of the Pirates. Ironically, they've kept their pirated-themed identity with a Jolly Roger flag and a wolf with an eye patch for logos. I considered putting the Tigers in pinstripes as that was what the Seawolves wore for about eight seasons after becoming Detroit's affiliate, but I was worried it would end up looking too much like the Yankees.

I was reading that part of the Detroit/Pittsburgh rivalry stems from the rivalry between their NHL teams, so Detroit's road set is loosely based on the 1926 Detroit Red Wings uniform, which featured a "D" similar to the Tigers' Old English 'D' logo. Next up are the Pirates:

Pirates%20Rivalry%20Series.jpg

As Q would say, "Now this, I'm particularly proud of." The Pirates and Tigers met once in the World Series in 1909, so the Pirates home set is based on their uniform from that year, updated with their classic color scheme. The road set is based on the Pittsburgh Penguins road uniform from the 1980s, back when they still wore Pirates colors, as opposed to the drab black and Vegas gold they use now.

As always, C&C appreciated!

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I love the sleeves on the pirates away uniform. Terrific reference to the Penguins. If I was a Tigers fan, I'd buy that road jersey in a second.

Thanks! I should've made an addendum to my last post that 2015-16 was the last year the Penguins would be wearing the aforementioned black & Vegas gold uniforms, so this Pirates set would actually be back in style.

Archived