Independent Football Alliance (Hand Drawn) Utah Gray-Cats Posted!

DCarp1231

For about the past month, I have been developing a new type of sport. I wanted this sport to still have the feel of standardized football, but with interesting twists. I having a good understanding of American Football, and after watching Canadian Football, I looked at and liked the differences between the two. The idea of creating a third separate, but similar type of football popped into my head. Thus, I created Independent Football. I originally was going to use Rogue Football as the sport name, but I felt as though it was too cheesy and fell on the same level as the XFL.

Now for the overview of Independent Football:

My vision of Independent Football is for it to be a "Run First" Priority sport. Sure everyone gets a burst of excitement when an 80 yard rainbow throw is tossed down the field, but the real excitement happens in the trenches. Tough, hard nosed, downhill running is essential to football's success. In short, there is a high emphasis on "Small Ball"

In this new sport, a player can still throw a pass, but the limit per throw is 20 yards at the Point-of-Catch (POC). For example, if a player catches a pass 21 yards from the line of scrimmage, it is considered illegal and results in a 5 yard penalty. However, if a player catches a pass 10 yards from the line of scrimmage and continues 11 yards before being tackled, that is considered legal.

Typically, a lot of direct hand-offs, pitches, and reverse plays are present in playbooks. For passing plays, once a player hits 20 yards downfield, they must cut back towards the play to be eligible. If a receiver does not return to the play within the 20 yards, a 10 yard penalty will be enforced at the spot of the foul.

On, the defensive side of the ball, 46, 4-4, 5-2, 5-3, and heavy blitz schemes are usually heavily implemented.

Basic Game Play:

- Played on a 120 yd x 55 yd (360 ft x 165 ft) field

- Three 18 Minute Periods (3 minute warning before end of each period)

- Each team is granted 2 timeouts (1 minute each) & 1 challenge per period

- 4 downs to advance ball (beginning with 1st & 15)

- One 6 minute overtime period in event of a regulation tie

• Each team is given 3 minutes to score and win the game. If a team only uses 2:00 to attempt to score and elects to punt with 1:00 remaining, said team can use the leftover time to score if the other team is unable to score within 3 minutes. There are no timeouts given to teams in overtime.

Personnel:

- 22 players on-field (11 offense 11 defense)

-Significant Players-

- 2 Slotbacks (Offense)

- 1 Superback (Offense)

- 4 Rovers (Defense)

Player Definitions:

Slotback- Designated "Angle" or "L" formation restriction.

- Point "A" Line of scrimmage between TE & WR

- Point "B" Between TE & WR 5 yards behind line of scrimmage parallel to Superback

- Point "C" Backfield. Positioning in backfield changes per offensive formation.

Superback- Used to (in no particular order of importance), run the ball, throw the ball, receiving (wildcat formation), blocking (receiver reverses).

Rover- Name given to Outside Linebackers and Safeties who can be swapped interchangeably to promote hybrid players

Scoring:

- 6 points via touchdown

- 1 point via PAT

- 2 points via 2 pt conversion

- 3 points via field goal

- 4 points via conversion inside 15 yard line

• 4th Downs inside the 15 yard line will be limited to either a Field Goal or 4-pt conversion. Whichever the offense elects is necessary. Any score achieved from the offense's own goal line to the defense's 16 yard line regardless of down will be considered a Touchdown (6 Points) or Field Goal (3 Points). Realistically, inside the 15 yard line, the offense only has 3 downs to score a TD. It may seem odd that a team can only opt for a max of 4 points on 4th Down inside the 15 yard line, but it puts a sense of urgency into the offense to score a touchdown in 3 downs.

Suggestions and questions are always welcome.

The first league to be created after adopting the rules of this new sport-

The Independent Football Alliance

20160628_183337_zpstfz354yb.jpg

The new league will consist of 12 teams. 4 East 4 Central 4 West. 9 cities granted franchises in the United States and 3 cities granted franchises in Canada.

I have already given 6 American cities franchises. They are as followed:

Florida Travelers (Tampa Bay, Florida)

• Reasoning behind name: Florida is a huge tourist destination.

Colorado Snow-Caps (Denver, Colorado)

• Reasoning behind name: A reference to both the Rocky Mountains and The United States Air Force influence in the state.

Maryland Oaks (Baltimore, Maryland)

• Reasoning behind name: The White Oak is the state tree.

Kansas City Flames (Kansas City, Missouri)

• Reasoning behind name: A reference to the famous "Kansas City Barbecue"

Utah Gray-Cats (Salt Lake City, Utah)

• Reasoning behind name: Utah is home to the Lynx/Bobcat

Dallas-Fort Worth Americans (Dallas, Texas)

• Reasoning behind name: Texas is commonly referred to as "The Most American State"

Newly Granted Franchises via Voting:

American Franchises (Conference Alignment):

1. Minnesota Pauls (Central)
  2. Chicago 66ers (East)
  3. Sacramento Rush (West)

Canadian Franchises (Conference Alignment):

1. Winnipeg Lakers (Central)
  2. Toronto, Ontario (Name Pending)(East) 
  3. Vancouver Spirits (West)

Team logo sets will consist of a Primary/Helmet Logo, Secondary, and a Crest logo to be worn on left chest of uniforms.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkpiranha

Interesting.  Looking forward to seeing where this goes.  

I think it's time for football in North America to have some promotion/relegation.  Let the remaining Canadian and American teams fight it out every year for a chance to graduate to the big league, and replace the worst team(s) from the previous season.  Nothing more exciting than a lower-division team getting a chance to join the big boys and then coming in and dominating.  American sports are really missing out on this.  

Before I post the Florida Travelers set, I would like to say that the logo sets for each team will be black & white (entirely pencil drawings). My personal preference is exactly that, but in time I will likely update with coloring. With that said, here is the first team of the IFA.

Florida Travelers:

Primary/Helmet Logo-

20160113_212057.png_zpspbiqgqoi.jpeg

Secondary:

20160113_212014.png_zpscenbgnyv.jpeg

Crest:

20160113_211912.png_zpsudrouy4e.jpeg

I am also unveiling the logo set of the Maryland Oaks

Primary/Helmet Logo:

20160629_185304_zpsvgd3f86r_edit_1467252

Secondary:

20160702_153954_zps0s6o21ix_edit_1467488

Crest:

20160629_220023_zpsfqi0kgnj.jpeg

A secondary logo for the Oaks will be created within a few days and this post will be updated.

C&C is welcome! 

I love the Travelers and what you have already of the Oaks. As for the voting, I would switch the divisions for Memphis and Chicago for the simple fact Memphis is west of Chicago. 

Also, are we going to see just designs for the 12 teams or are we going to see an evolution like Veras's AFA or hawkfan89's PHL?

9 hours ago, ~Bear said:

I love the Travelers and what you have already of the Oaks. As for the voting, I would switch the divisions for Memphis and Chicago for the simple fact Memphis is west of Chicago. 

Also, are we going to see just designs for the 12 teams or are we going to see an evolution like Veras's AFA or hawkfan89's PHL?

Thanks for the suggestion! The change will be made. Chicago to the East and Memphis to the Central.

As for having a "History of" thread, it may be possible I do that. I think I will roll out all the team logos before I get to team histories.

On the subject of Voting, anyone who would like to vote may reply with this format:

Vote:

1a. American East Choice 

1b. Canadian East Choice

2a. American Central Choice 

2b. Canadian Central Choice 

3a. American West Choice

3b. Canadian West Choice

Voting has also been extended to July 2, 2016 6:00 PM EST

The cities granted franchises are as followed:

American:

1. Chicago (East)

2. Minneapolis (Central)

3. Sacramento (West)

Canadian:

1. Toronto (East)

2. Winnipeg (Central)

3. Vancouver (West)

Divisions:

East-

1. Florida Travelers 

2. Maryland Oaks

3. Chicago Franchise 

4. Toronto Franchise

Central-

1. Kansas City Flames

2. Colorado Snow-Caps

3. Minneapolis Franchise 

4. Winnipeg  Franchise 

West-

1. Dallas-Fort Worth Americans 

2. Utah Gray-Cats

3. Sacramento Franchise

4. Vancouver Franchise

Name suggestions for the newly granted franchises as well as Colorado are welcome!

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

Great job. I like the primary especially. Are you taking name suggestions for the newly-voted cities? 

Yes I am. Suggestions are always welcome! I am also considering a different name for Colorado.

I should also say that I am avoiding any currently used NFL and CFL team names. Cowboys, Raiders, Argonauts, Stampeders, etc cannot be used.

14 minutes ago, BengalPumaOcelot said:

If you are still taking requests for cities, I'd recommend New York for the East, St. Louis for the Central, and Seattle or Portland for the West.

If I do decide to expand the IFA, I will definitely add these cities to the expansion pool. Portland was considered for the First 12, but lost out to Sacramento.

For Toronto/Winnipeg/Vancouver, Beavers (the national animal) and Mounties (the nickname for the police) could work. Also, I would change Dallas-Ft. Worth to just Texas. It's easier to say and still carries the name meaning. 

Archived