WHA to the NHL: San Diego Mariners/Florida Breakers (Brand New 90's Update)

Bruins

Sadly, the drastic changes made to the Breakers in 86/87 did not turn the team around. In fact, it appeared they were on the cusp of a steep decline. They did not end up doing well with their draft picks that they got in big trades and attendance for the games was starting to drop. There didn't seem to be much to do and it looked like they might have to ride the wave (pun intended) out of mediocrity or maybe worse.

In a less dramatic topic, the next season the Breakers changed their road jerseys to a brighter blue color, changing their color scheme from 4 colors to 3image.jpeg

A crisis did take place in 87/88 though in that their talented starting goalie Sean Burke suffered a terrible leg injury 4 games into the season, that sidelined him for 57 games. Any problems they already had were made drastically worse and the year was a bust through and through.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the long delay between posts but here's a big shift for the Breakers.

Im skipping to the 94/95 season because a whole lot of nothing happened between this post and the last. The Breakers only made the playoffs once in these half dozen years and were the epitome of mediocre or worse some seasons. But things appeared to be possibly looking up after having previously acquired Mark Recchi and Teemu Selanne at the trade deadline, Along with multiple homegrown talents and a few other assets who could all contribute to the team's cause. While they weren't finals good, in time they could be playoff run good.

But after all, it was the nineties, and the Breakers needed (did they?) an update; 90's style. So what better than a tacky slanted waist stripe representing a wave with giant shoulder patches and slanted name and numbers on the back?

First off let's start with yet another minor update to the main emblem which included just adding a silver outline that surrounded the wave

image.jpeg

The 94/95 season would also be the first to include an Alternate logo for the Breakers which consisted of an upside-down triangle w/ a very geometric wave and "Breakers" in a new font above it.

image.jpeg

Now let's get to the unis.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

They were... Tacky. But they fit in w/ the times, and fans kind of thought they were kind of cool...kind of. For the times. But after some time, fans kind of grew accustomed to them and they did after all fit in with the rest of the league. Which was tacky. That's basically the nineties full circle, but now the jerseys for real.

The home was of course white and PROMINENTLY featured a navy wave on the front and back of the jersey with a silver trim. The updated logo still graced the front although now smaller to fit the wave. Two big shoulder patches of the new alt. logo were slapped on the top of the sleeves and were followed by a new unique font for the numbers. The numbers on the back were slanted to fit in with the wave and so was the name. The road jerseys were similar but instead featured a light blue wave and white numbers.

The Florida Breakers were continuing to evolve.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Yeah, they are tacky, kind of feels like they were designed by Saved by the Bell's designer. I wonder how the wave pattern on the right sleeve will look with the arms down at the side and if it might be better to bring the wave crest up onto the shoulder.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_minor_by_verasthebrujah-dbd786h.jpg.04fb6ee08e3d6de5abf371b4fd8bf0bf.jpgmiami_suns_sig_by_verasthebrujah-da7emd5.jpg

That's a good idea, but I feel like the angle I would have to change to would take up too much of the front of the jersey and push the logo out. Although I understand this look loses some charm in game action.

Lz5f6vZ.png

Archived