Maybe someone here knows

MilTownMVP

Back when MLB was about to add the D-Backs and the Rays, they originally wanted the Royals to be the AL team to go to the NL. But they refused. the Brewers (or more specifically, Bud) volunteered to go instead.

To me, had the Royals gone, the alignment of both leagues would make a lot more sense.

The Royals would be in the NL with (and in the same division with at least one of) their natural rivals, St. Louis and Colorado. It'd also make Houston's nearest rival slightly closer.

The AL Central would have 4 of its 5 teams on I-94 (From west to east: Minnesota, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit)... can we say road trip? And a lot of those fans have bad blood between them from the NFC North which IMO, would make for a much more interesting division.

But I never heard a reason why the Royals didn't want to leave other than they just didn't want to go. So can anyone fill me in?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

It was either going to be the Brewers or the Royals moving to the NL in 1998, but it was alwys going to be the Brewers. The ROyals were just mentioned as a nother option if there were problems with the Brewers league switch.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Getting the Brewers to switch was the easiest, and only real option. Less we forget Selig at one point owned the team. Plus, it was still in his families control.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Hey if Montreal moves to Washington DC, do the Washington Expos move to the American League? because Washington is an American League town.

Not an AL town. Baltimore is too close. Definitely NL.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Basically, from a logistics standpoint, the Royals would have made more sense, for all of the reasons suggested, and that was why they were always mentioned w/the Brewers. However, the Royals didn't really want to move in the first place and Bud always saw Milwaukee as an NL town and since he still owned the team (I know, not technically) and was Commissioner it was pretty much a forgone conclusion who would be switching.

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Were the Milwaukee Braves a National League team??? :blink:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Milwaukee was originally an NL town and KC was originally an AL town (remember the A's stopped to rest there during their journey from Philly to Oakland), so from a "baseball tradition" standpoint, this was the least untraditional move to make considering an established team switching leagues was unprecedented in the modern era of MLB.

Yeah Baltimore can fight it if its an AL team they have no say over a NL team.

I think Baltimore can fight it no matter what league it is in. Remember they are 2 separate leagues anymore. They all fall under Major League Baseball. The Leagues are conferences with 1 different rule called leagues.

Milwaukee was originally an NL town and KC was originally an AL town (remember the A's stopped to rest there during their journey from Philly to Oakland), so from a "baseball tradition" standpoint, this was the least untraditional move to make considering an established team switching leagues was unprecedented in the modern era of MLB.

Well technically Milwaukee's first MLB team was in the American League... lasted one season before moving to St. Louis in 1902 :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived