NSA - Seeking advice on development of logos

JMurr

I seek your assistance.  I am starting a project and seek the assistance of this community in developing it so that it may be the best it can be.  To begin I present here the logo for the league.  This league is not like most others on this board.  This league is the Norsk Skihopping Assosiasjon (Norse Ski Jumping Association).  The year is 1886.

A little about the logo and its influence.  At the center of it is a shield.  The shield is styled and colored in the fashion of the Norwegian flag.  In 1886 Norway was historically actually a part of a union with Sweden.  As part of this union some slightly different flags then the one we know today flew over Norway.  However, the flag of modern times had already been used before the union and was at the time the base for Norway’s flag as part of the union.  Therefore, I stuck with this design because although Norway is at the time united with Sweden, the league is exclusive to Norway. 

The shield is supported by two figures.  At left a Viking and at right a reindeer, both representative of Norway.  Centered above the shield is a pair of crossed skis, representing the sport.  Centered over the shield is the initials NSA, standing for Norsk Shihopping Assosiasjon.

I am presenting the logo here in three forms.  One brightly colored, one with saturated colors, and one black and white. 

This is a work in progress so please advise. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

7fe6a713-a81f-4ac9-b995-837498cd0466_zps

I would try to find a font that's easier to read and flip the colors you're using for it. I get that it's supposed to be for an earlier age but it can be a muddle from a distance.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

@MJWalker45 Thank you for your imput.  With it in mind I have tinkered with some things. 

First off I thickened the stroke on the letters over the shield.  In the first version I kept the letter colors (black and white) the same but in the second I reversed them. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

I do believe already this is an improvement.  I think I do like this font for the logo, however I did also look around for other possible fonts to work with this logo.  I have below five possibilities:

Seagram

spacer.png

Cardinal

spacer.png

JMH Beda

spacer.png

Kelmscott

spacer.png

Amperzand

spacer.png

Personally I think the Kelmscott is a strong contender.  

Again please anyone provide thoughts and input. 

I like the one with the beda font better. It feels old yet readable.

I would recomend you to make the skis a bit longer, as the actual ratio makes them look like fence strakes. You could maybe make them longer and then put them behind the shield.

All in all it feels quite spot on for the period.

38665609364_bedb96967e_o.png                                                                                        spacer.pngMy Behance                                                                                                   

@Pulv! Thank you for your thoughts.  I agree, I think the beda font is old yet readable.  One other font that I’m not yet ready to give up on however is the kelmscott font.  I think it meets the same criteria, with perhaps capturing a bit more of a Nordic/Scandinavian feel.  Even if the name suggests it to be more British/Scottish inspired.  I think I’m narrowing the font down to these two.  Please everyone tell me which among these two you like best.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I have also made adjustment to the ski dimensions.  @Pulv!I certainly think you where right about the scale of the skis.  I also really liked your idea of putting them more behind the shield.  I think it helps bring them into the logo as a whole.  Before they kind of felt like an after thought, just added on top.  Floating above but not really fitting in. 

What does anyone think about the look now?  Has the scale of the ski issues been fixed and does placing them behind the shield bring them more into the overall design?  And finally, I’ll once again ask please let me know which of the two finalist font styles do you like best?

Archived