"Take me to your leader *in the field of graphic design*"

the_grateful_ted

In my time on these boards, I have noticed a disturbing lack of extraterrestrial/cryptid/ or otherwise somewhat spooky imagery. In an attempt to remedy this obvious gap in content, here is my contribution. This is for a project that will remain anonymous for a time longer, but I would love some feedback on it regardless. I am pretty happy with the facial logo, but any c&c is always appreciated. I am primarily looking for some help on the UFO, mostly on the bottom half. My goal is to make an "M" out of the negative space, while at the same time conveying that it is a pine forest. Would it be a better idea to scrap the bottom half, rework the shape, or just rework the "piney" part of it? Thanks in advance guys!

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the head, I think you should remove the lines under the eyes. They distract me and I feel they are unnecessary.

For the ufo light beam, I’d say do it in steps. Start by making a solid beam come down then add a text “M” in there. Shape and conform that how you like, and then add pine tree elements after that so that you can find good placement.

Lastly, I don’t think you need the dark green color, the bright green is all that’s needed IMO.

21 hours ago, TekkogsSteve said:

Two great ideas! For the UFO bottom half, to make the M more apparent, I would maybe consider either removing the pines and lengthening the exhaust fumes to have the m in the negative space, or shorting the exhaust fumes and creating an M from two overlapping pines at the bottom.

Much appreciated! I really like extending exhaust fumes, dunno how I didn't think of that.

14 hours ago, builtbymachines said:

For the head, I think you should remove the lines under the eyes. They distract me and I feel they take are unnecessary.

For the ufo light beam, I’d say do it in steps. Start by making a solid beam come down then add a text “M” in there. Shape and conform that how you like, and then add pine tree elements after that so that you can find good placement.

Lastly, I don’t think you need the dark green color, the bright green is all that’s needed IMO.

Definitely going to try the steps approach, much needed c&c! 

Howdy, I'm finally back. Made a couple changes...

-Took out the lines from the eyes, big improvement

-Removed the darker teal color, not sure how I feel about it. I think it added a little depth to the face

-Tried something different with the beam on the UFO

-Added another simplified UFO concept, not entirely happy with it either

Still looking for more feedback/tweak ideas on the UFO concepts, thanks as usual!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I agree that the darker green added depth and it might be worth bringing it back, but other than that I think those are both improvements. The only thing that really bothers me is the rounding of the red outline at the end of the exhaust fumes, that creates tension. Also maybe its worth making the red more orangey or reworking the colours slightly as I'm not sure that red works completely well with that teal

I think you should put the details back in the ufo. The windows or ridges, whatever you want to call them. 

And the beam needs to be longer like the original. Not sure why you shortened it?

If you want to put the dark green back, may I suggest you play around more with what pieces you select as dark green, and which you select as bright green. The original attempt doesn’t come off as symmetrical. You have a nice solid concept here but it may be suffering from you overthinking certain aspects. Just try different variations of color combos and put them here if you want is to help decide for you.

Thank you for all the comments guys, awesome to have some new perspectives on these. I scrapped the new version, decided to try to rework the first iteration. I tried to simplify it, make it a little easier to read at a glance. Besides that, just some new color options. Let me know which one you guys like!

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Archived