So I wanted to try my version of the new NHL team for Seattle. Since Krakens seems to be the front runner for the nickname that's the one I chose. Now there are so many designs out there and so many of them are FANTASTIC. I don't want to compare mine to those designs but would appreciate what works and maybe some feedback. 

About my design decisions. 

Colors: I went with the colors that the Mariners and Seahawks share because I am a big fan of the city color theme concept. Maybe I'll try the Super Sonics colors in a later version.

Main Logo: I love history and really wanted to fit in the Seattle Metropolitans logo in my design with a Kraken element. 

2nd Logo Design: It's a Kraken with the shadow of the Space Needle. I feel this one needs something but can't decide what or maybe it's just fine like it is. 

Alternate Logo: Similar to the main logo but with more of Kraken theme. Might work better for a Main logo instead. 

Uniforms: Really wanted to give the team a historic hockey look but not a fan of the all stripes look of the original Metropolitans. So I went more with a Habs uniform look. 

#seattle #krakens #climatepledgearena #seattleneedshockey #nhlseattle 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Joe

Really great start. I like the idea of Seattle being a Pittsburgh-esque city sharing colors. I think your 2nd logo with the full body is awesome, I just think it's a little too detailed, especially once placed on a sweater to be sewn on. I'd simplify the hockey sticks and remove the tiny tape lines. The outlines on the eyes and head lighting aren't very neccessary either. I love the needle incorporation as well. 

The alt primary S is the best S. Maybe replace the S on your metro-S with this one. It's a great design. Good start. 

I think there's just too much going on here. Edit down your ideas and a clearer, more concise concept will emerge. 

I like the S-tentacle with the SEATTLE lettering in it to harken back to the Metropolitans. But the S in SEATTLE doesn't need to be a tentacle as well. I would reshape the S-tentacle as well to make sure there's enough room between all the letters and the stroke. Right now, the letters are getting awful close to the edges, especially on the T in the middle. 

The secondary logo feels like it has no depth or definition to the octopus's body. All the tentacles are on the same dimension — there's no suggestion of some being on top of or behind others — so it all comes out looking blobby. Then the shadow of the Space Needle just muddies things further. And is the octopus supposed to be wrapping itself around a puck? Is that what the vaguely rectangular shape in the middle of its body is meant to be? It's the same colour as the rest of the body, so it reads as part of the body, and the body is misshapen. Also, I'd get rid of the blue stroke on the highlights in the tentacles and on the head. Those just muddy things up as well.

On the primary alternate logo with the ship's wheel — again, a solid idea, but too much going on. You could easily get rid of the S in the middle, add the spokes in the middle, have some tentacles curling around, and have a good logo that gets the point across and adds to the whole set. It feels like you've gone overboard with the strokes here too — the ship's wheel and the handles don't need the green strokes. Those could be solid blue with white highlights, and that would help the green tentacles stand out. And the ship's wheel is missing a handle.

Hope that all makes sense and helps with revisions.

On 6/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, officeglenn said:

I think there's just too much going on here. Edit down your ideas and a clearer, more concise concept will emerge. 

I like the S-tentacle with the SEATTLE lettering in it to harken back to the Metropolitans. But the S in SEATTLE doesn't need to be a tentacle as well. I would reshape the S-tentacle as well to make sure there's enough room between all the letters and the stroke. Right now, the letters are getting awful close to the edges, especially on the T in the middle. 

The secondary logo feels like it has no depth or definition to the octopus's body. All the tentacles are on the same dimension — there's no suggestion of some being on top of or behind others — so it all comes out looking blobby. Then the shadow of the Space Needle just muddies things further. And is the octopus supposed to be wrapping itself around a puck? Is that what the vaguely rectangular shape in the middle of its body is meant to be? It's the same colour as the rest of the body, so it reads as part of the body, and the body is misshapen. Also, I'd get rid of the blue stroke on the highlights in the tentacles and on the head. Those just muddy things up as well.

On the primary alternate logo with the ship's wheel — again, a solid idea, but too much going on. You could easily get rid of the S in the middle, add the spokes in the middle, have some tentacles curling around, and have a good logo that gets the point across and adds to the whole set. It feels like you've gone overboard with the strokes here too — the ship's wheel and the handles don't need the green strokes. Those could be solid blue with white highlights, and that would help the green tentacles stand out. And the ship's wheel is missing a handle.

Hope that all makes sense and helps with revisions.

Fantastic feedback! Thank you so much! I will go back to these and simplify these. Much apprecciated 

Joe

Archived