AFL Brand Refresh

lancealot

AFL BRND REFRESH

Its been a while since ive done a concept at all but i got a new job back in the design industry and had a few weeks off so decided to do this as an exercise to polish up my work.

Ive basically gone through the AFL (Australian Football League) and updated their logos and designed 3 uniforms for each team.  A Home Uniform, a Clash Uniform and a "Heritage Collection" Uniform.

Most of he Heritage Collection uniforms were designed with the idea of giving a modern update to a previous uniform worn by the club. The 2 newer expansion clubs were given designs to solidify their new overall brands.

Ive linked to the album on Imgur below but have also linked a ZIPed PDF file with sticky notes with some breif explinations of the designs as im not great with the whole write up thing.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts.

spacer.png

Imgur Album

ZIPed PDF File

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 5:05 PM, AusGiant said:

Nicely done. I'm a saints fan, so I'm pretty rigid on changing the crest to the extent you have. A general thickening of the lines would be more palatable, but what you've done with the jumpers are great. 

Just an FYI, Hawthorn has no 'e'

The way i see it with the logos is that every club changed logos during the national expansion era so i dont see why anyone would have an issue with it now.

I can see St Kilda selling merch with the classic sheild on it if they did change anyway.

I swear i proofread this a million times ahah im not sure how a missed that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ah, I know exactly what website you’ve used now. I wouldn’t take footyjumpers.com as gospel. The creator simply used the league mandated official logos, instead of what has represented the clubs for decades. I’ll rephrase and say that St Kilda’s club logo has been used since the 30s, and has also stayed on the Guernsey above the heart since then. We’re all very attached to it, like that of European football club crests. Check out its origin story here..

https://www.saints.com.au/club/history/the-crest

19 hours ago, AusGiant said:

Ah, I know exactly what website you’ve used now. I wouldn’t take footyjumpers.com as gospel. The creator simply used the league mandated official logos, instead of what has represented the clubs for decades. I’ll rephrase and say that St Kilda’s club logo has been used since the 30s, and has also stayed on the Guernsey above the heart since then. We’re all very attached to it, like that of European football club crests. Check out its origin story here..

https://www.saints.com.au/club/history/the-crest

Ahahah fair enough, fotty jumpers was the only somewhat reliable source i coulkd find and i tried using reference photos as much as possibe. I did have a look on a few teams websites but couldnt find expansive history sections so kind of gave up after a few.  I figured there would have been some inacuracies but i didnt want to spend too much time researching every detail.

Ill definitely give that a read though.

If St kilda fans are that attached to the current crest you could use that for the jumoer and in any official capacity then use the updated one for things like tv broadcasts and merch.

simmilar to how the yankees have mutliple versions of the NY monogram.

for a more real world explination this really was just an exercise to polish my skills so leaving too many things the same would have defeated the purpose of that.

@tigers

thanks, i really think alot of the designs clubs use are too safe  or dont have enough thought put into them. It seems like the current crop of designs are very much just the simplest ways to do the design possiple. I tried to do the opposite of that so im glad to see that people liked it .

I like these quite a bit. These looks are all pretty tried and true so I’m glad you didn’t steer too far in any direction, but overall I think you did a great job with the changes you did make.

Couple things I’m not too fond of is the continued use of blue for the Suns. That never made sense to me. Red and gold are perfectly fine alone and the clash can just be white with red/gold accents.

The other thing is Port Adelaide not using the prison bars. I saw the nod in the Heritage guernsey, but I think they should go all out. I mean they’re in the crest lol. I always thought the solution to get around the Collingwood issue was to make the bars teal.

There is a lack of green in this league, any chance of expanding into Tasmania? Since it’s only a concept why not make it an even twenty sides with a Northern Territory team as well?

Archived