NHL City Connect 32/32 Complete

johne9109

On 7/26/2022 at 3:52 PM, johne9109 said:

I get what you're saying from a design aspect, but with both of these uniforms and your suggestions it feels like taking to city connections out of it. Without the TORONTO wordmark it's pretty much just a regular Leafs jersey and taking the Chinese New Year out of the Canucks uniform again takes the City Connection out of it. Doing that defeats the whole purpose of this series.  These aren't designed to be full time replacements; just specialty uniforms to be worn a couple times a year. 

I hear ya, I just don't think the Leafs one is quite there yet. The rationale for the gradients doesn't really work... but maybe there is another way to do it including "toronto". For the Canucks, it's just not making sense to rely on a specific culture to use for a city jersey only because it's not inclusive. So it's even less about the city and more about one culture. 

City jerseys also don't have to be super over the top.. they are meant to pay homage to the history of a franchise or a specific era. Like in basketball, they take cues from earlier jerseys. With the Leafs.. maybe there is a way to go back to a different era, and modernize it with a something related to "The 6ix" as Toronto is known. If you want to show multiculturalism... maybe it's not so obvious. Perhaps it's a sublimated map of the city... then you pay it off with a writeup or patch that talks to the multiculturalism of the city on the collar.

It's a great series... these were the two that stood out as needing to be pushed a bit IMO.
My two favourites from your series are Vegas and Winnipeg. 

• Like 1

spacer.png