NHL City Connect 32/32 Complete

johne9109

Pittsburgh Penguins

For the Penguins I took the emblem from the city flag and added the penguins logo. I also included silver striping as a nod to the Steel City moniker. The collar reads Benigno Numine which translates to By Divine Providence; which is the state motto

sM4K7r6.png

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 23/32 Penguins Added
  • 2 weeks later...
  • johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 24/32 Blues Added

San Jose Sharks

For the San Jose Sharks I expanded upon their stealth uniforms and connected it a more to Silicon Valley by making the circuitry pattern the main focus in this uniform. The circuitry is placed to make it look like it is spreading from the striping on the sleeves and the pants. The collar reads Never Finished which is San Jose's motto. The Promotional image comes from the city of San Jose but with an added Sharks twist

EBea3AT.png

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 25/32 Sharks Added

The Blues and Sharks are probably the best in the series so far alongside New York Rangers, Both are really good. The New York Rangers and Wild also have good promotional images, many of the ones for the other teams just look cheap or afterthoughts.

The worst here are Boston, The Bruins just look wrong in the same colours as The Habs, The Kings uses a main logo based off signage of the main pier in a different city and The Sens is Cop Connect as opposed to City Connect.

The Anaheim outfit looks really good, but having a different city as a background when you are doing a City Connect just looks sloppy and Bush League beyond belief. Dude, go back and change it to a picture of Disneyland, like the actual building the colourway is based on.

• Like 1

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 26/32 Kraken Added
  • 2 weeks later...
  • johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 27/32 Lightning Added

Toronto Maple Leafs

I took a couple of sources of inspiration for the Leafs. The main one is the TORONTO sign in Nathan Phillips Square. The colors in the letters are given a gradient to represent the different cultures in Toronto to represent the diversity of the city. T-French, O-Irish, R-Chinese, O-Mexican, N-Lebanese, T-Metis (Native), O-Japan. These were chosen as they are the most prominent cultures in Toronto. The collar reads Diversity Is Our Strength and the Promotional image is taken from The City of Toronto

dbTQz95.png

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 28/32 Maple Leafs Added
17 minutes ago, johne9109 said:

Toronto Maple Leafs

I took a couple of sources of inspiration for the Leafs. The main one is the TORONTO sign in Nathan Phillips Square. The colors in the letters are given a gradient to represent the different cultures in Toronto to represent the diversity of the city. T-French, O-Irish, R-Chinese, O-Mexican, N-Lebanese, T-Metis (Native), O-Japan. These were chosen as they are the most prominent cultures in Toronto.

You got the gradient the wrong way around for Mexico, and you used the same gradient used for the T for both China and Japan instead of going with the actual national flags. And they look like they were picked randomly.

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

You got the gradient the wrong way around for Mexico, and you used the same gradient used for the T for both China and Japan instead of going with the actual national flags. And they look like they were picked randomly.

Thank you for catching that with the gradients. I dont know why it didnt save China and Japan. I'll have to go back and fix that

ZUH86xc.png

Vancouver Canucks

I kind of cheated for the canucks, but it's such a great design and choice for Vancouver. I took their Chinese New Year jerseys they've done for the past few years and adapted it a bit. This is a nice choice because they can change it every year and build up to unveiling the new design each year once the new year happens. The collar reads The Couve, a given nickname to Vancouver. 

I0VdCcm.png

• Like 5

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 29/32 Canucks Added
12 hours ago, johne9109 said:

Vancouver Canucks

I kind of cheated for the canucks, but it's such a great design and choice for Vancouver. I took their Chinese New Year jerseys they've done for the past few years and adapted it a bit. This is a nice choice because they can change it every year and build up to unveiling the new design each year once the new year happens. The collar reads The Couve, a given nickname to Vancouver. 

I0VdCcm.png

I think the uniform as a whole looks good as a Chinese New Year jersey, but I just wanted to say that adding "The Couve" doesn't fit, as NOBODY in Vancouver calls it that. It's a shorthand used exclusively by visitors and it sounds really cringy. It would be like calling Toronto "The Ront" or Washington "The Shing".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think the uniform as a whole looks good as a Chinese New Year jersey, but I just wanted to say that adding "The Couve" doesn't fit, as NOBODY in Vancouver calls it that. It's a shorthand used exclusively by visitors and it sounds really cringy. It would be like calling Toronto "The Ront" or Washington "The Shing".

Thanks for that insight. I suppose instead they could put year of the rat, dog, etc depending on the year and design

ZUH86xc.png

Vegas Golden Knights

For the Golden Knights I took inspiration from the bright neon signs of the Vegas Strip. The main and secondary logos are made to look like glowing neon; as well as the striping on the sleeves. Card suits are added to the sleeves to give them an added Vegas connection. The collar reads Battle Born; the State motto. The promotional image is of course a take on the Las Vegas sign.

cjytvTU.png

• Like 1
  • WOAH 2

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 30/32 Golden Knights Added

Washington Capitals

The Washington Capitals get a uniform that gets it's design elements from the different monuments and buildings throughout DC. The main logo features the Capitol building and is actually an unused concept for when the team was going through their redesign in 1995. The pants and sleeves get striping in the shape of the Washington Monument and the shoulders feature the Lincoln Memorial. The collar reads Justitia Omnibus, Latin for Justice For All, the motto of DC. The Promotional image is a take on DC's flag with a CAPS wordmark

FgQEjSq.png

• Like 2

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 31/32 Capitals Added

Winnipeg Jets

For the Jets I wanted to model the uniforms off of the Royal Canadian Air Force dress uniforms. The main logo is slightly altered to more closely resemble the RCAF logo. Instead of a captains C we get a nameplate that reads Captain and opposite of that we get a take on the rating badges on the uniforms, but if you look closely there is a puck and hockey sticks. The sleeves get rockers that read Winnipeg and the striping on the bottom of the sleeves replicates the ranks seen on the uniforms. The collar features one of the RCAF mottos; Per Ardua ad Astra which translated reads Through Adversity To The Stars.

IS13vk5.png

And with that we're done. I really enjoyed this series and thought I was able to get really creative with some of these teams. C&C always welcomed. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

ZUH86xc.png

• johne9109 changed the title to NHL City Connect 32/32 Complete
On 7/18/2022 at 8:55 PM, johne9109 said:

Toronto Maple Leafs

I took a couple of sources of inspiration for the Leafs. The main one is the TORONTO sign in Nathan Phillips Square. The colors in the letters are given a gradient to represent the different cultures in Toronto to represent the diversity of the city. T-French, O-Irish, R-Chinese, O-Mexican, N-Lebanese, T-Metis (Native), O-Japan. These were chosen as they are the most prominent cultures in Toronto. The collar reads Diversity Is Our Strength and the Promotional image is taken from The City of Toronto

dbTQz95.png

Lots to like about a lot of these!

Just commenting on the Leafs one right now... I think the grad and the "TORONTO" kinda throw this one off. I think just keeping the simple retro Leaf is nice. Also, I get the angle you took with the reason for the gradients... however it's hard to go that route as you'll have folks feeling left out. Jersey designs need to be inclusive to all. 

That said, if this didn't have the gradients and the TORONTO, I think you've got something.

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 7/19/2022 at 12:45 PM, johne9109 said:

Vancouver Canucks

I0VdCcm.png

With the Canucks... I think its tough to take a specific culture and create a city jersey out of it. Its kind of a one off thing. Sure, it can be celebrated by all... but likely just during a certain time. I think the colours might be an interesting throw back if you include some black. But might look good in the colours of the Pacific North West.... teals, greens, blues.

Maybe one way to take this is to incorporate the killer whale into this logo... but discard the reference to Chinese New Year.

• Like 1

spacer.png

16 minutes ago, OmegaRed said:

Lots to like about a lot of these!

Just commenting on the Leafs one right now... I think the grad and the "TORONTO" kinda throw this one off. I think just keeping the simple retro Leaf is nice. Also, I get the angle you took with the reason for the gradients... however it's hard to go that route as you'll have folks feeling left out. Jersey designs need to be inclusive to all. 

That said, if this didn't have the gradients and the TORONTO, I think you've got something.

6 minutes ago, OmegaRed said:

With the Canucks... I think its tough to take a specific culture and create a city jersey out of it. Its kind of a one off thing. Sure, it can be celebrated by all... but likely just during a certain time. I think the colours might be an interesting throw back if you include some black. But might look good in the colours of the Pacific North West.... teals, greens, blues.

Maybe one way to take this is to incorporate the killer whale into this logo... but discard the reference to Chinese New Year.

I get what you're saying from a design aspect, but with both of these uniforms and your suggestions it feels like taking to city connections out of it. Without the TORONTO wordmark it's pretty much just a regular Leafs jersey and taking the Chinese New Year out of the Canucks uniform again takes the City Connection out of it. Doing that defeats the whole purpose of this series.  These aren't designed to be full time replacements; just specialty uniforms to be worn a couple times a year. 

ZUH86xc.png