World Cup of Hockey 2024 — Series finished 10/26

DTConcepts

I don't know whether this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I absolutely loved the World Cup of Hockey in 2016. I loved the energy around it, I loved the branding, and I loved the spectacle. The event was cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic, but there are talks of starting it back up again in 2024. With the prospect of another WCoH in a few years, I wanted to get the wheels turning and design some concepts for the intra-NHL tournament.

It was a bit challenging to design uniforms for each team given that the league's contract with Adidas as a uniform provider is set to expire before 2024, so I chose Nike to be the league's new manufacturer. That said, I also tweaked the template Nike uses for hockey to make it more traditional, namely by fixing the arm and waist striping. The Nike Flyknit collar and bulky shoulder yokes that we've become accustomed to stay intact though, and will be used for each team.

Unlike previous WCoH designs, I tried to give every team a mismatching set of jerseys. The home and road jerseys for each team feature distinctly different feels to them, in order to keep the uniform matchups interesting and to further explore the depth of each team's brand. I also tried to keep the jerseys distinctly different from the 2016 designs, so as to move each team's identity forward.

Alright, enough blabbering, let's get into the designs. I'll kick things off with one of my favorite teams both in the tournament and in the jersey department — team North America.

pnkhli3.jpg

I tried to keep Team North America's identity similar to what it was in 2016 — bold, fresh, modern, and unique. I removed the heather pattern the team used in 2016, but tried modeling the jersey striping after the logo. The home jersey uses triangular shoulder blocks to mimic the logo, and the road uses a half-and-half gradient logo somewhat styled after the logo. The 'XXIII' mark in the logo also appears on the jerseys' right arms, in a subtle nod to the team's under-23 player makeup. I tried balancing the colors better than the 2016 jerseys did too, by using the whole color pallette in each jersey.

I'll be posting each team's jerseys over the course of the next couple days. For the time being, what do you think of Team North America?

• Like 3

On to the next one with team USA.

rgk81OR.jpg

Team USA is kinda strange in terms of hockey aesthetics. They can't pick a lane between the classic and modern aesthetics, and I tried to toe the line with these concepts. Like every other team in this series the home and road are mismatching, with the home taking up the modern vibe and the road taking a more classical approach.

I really like the way both of these turned out. What do you think?

• Like 2

• DTConcepts changed the title to World Cup of Hockey 2024 — Team USA added 10/13

Doubleposting with another concept. This time it's team Sweden!

psiAcAD.jpg

Sweden's always been a conservative team with their jerseys, so I kept that the same here. The home jersey is the same design that the team usually uses for international tournaments, but to keep in line with this series' theme, the road jersey is tweaked with a different jersey design. It utilizes thick striping around the chest and arms, but otherwise stays relatively in the box. Simple, small, but effective.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

• DTConcepts changed the title to World Cup of Hockey 2024 — Sweden added 10/18
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonderful feedback everybody. Really appreciate the input.

Here's the rest of the teams.

70oMpin.jpg

Canada's jerseys were meant to be traditionally out of the box, if that makes sense. They feel somewhere inbetween modern and classic, and that's intentional. They take heavy inspiration from the team's old Canda Cup jerseys, but with a more modern spin.

pTdFAt2.jpg

Czechia's were out of the box, and intentionally so. The team doesn't have a very solid visual brand, so I tried to go out-there with these jerseys. The team's 2016 Olympic jerseys provided some inspiration for both jerseys, with the road jersey essentially being a more out-there version of the home jersey.

ftJCrK7.jpg

Team Europe gets a bit of a rebrand here. The team's color palette is tweaked the mimic the EU flag, without using the organization's imagery outright so as to include all nations. The name is also changed to "Team Europa" in order to modernize the club's identity and make it more distinctly European.

sIHVGLn.jpg

Finland's jerseys are a bit more traditional. They include a heat-pressed pattern based on Nordic wood-cutting traditions, and utilize striping patterns inspired by the looks Finland has worn in other international competitions over the years.

8Hb5ty0.jpg

Russia's look is centered entirely around the nation's flag. The Russian flag makes an appearance in both the home and road striping, and is flanked by a gold stripe on the road look. The font is square to mimic Cyrillic lettering and Soviet-era Russian art.

And that's that for the series. Thanks for scrolling all the way down here. What do you guys think about these teams' looks?

• Like 3

• DTConcepts changed the title to World Cup of Hockey 2024 — Series finished 10/26
On 10/26/2022 at 7:55 PM, DTConcepts said:

Wonderful feedback everybody. Really appreciate the input.

Here's the rest of the teams.

70oMpin.jpg

Canada's jerseys were meant to be traditionally out of the box, if that makes sense. They feel somewhere inbetween modern and classic, and that's intentional. They take heavy inspiration from the team's old Canda Cup jerseys, but with a more modern spin.

pTdFAt2.jpg

Czechia's were out of the box, and intentionally so. The team doesn't have a very solid visual brand, so I tried to go out-there with these jerseys. The team's 2016 Olympic jerseys provided some inspiration for both jerseys, with the road jersey essentially being a more out-there version of the home jersey.

ftJCrK7.jpg

Team Europe gets a bit of a rebrand here. The team's color palette is tweaked the mimic the EU flag, without using the organization's imagery outright so as to include all nations. The name is also changed to "Team Europa" in order to modernize the club's identity and make it more distinctly European.

sIHVGLn.jpg

Finland's jerseys are a bit more traditional. They include a heat-pressed pattern based on Nordic wood-cutting traditions, and utilize striping patterns inspired by the looks Finland has worn in other international competitions over the years.

8Hb5ty0.jpg

Russia's look is centered entirely around the nation's flag. The Russian flag makes an appearance in both the home and road striping, and is flanked by a gold stripe on the road look. The font is square to mimic Cyrillic lettering and Soviet-era Russian art.

And that's that for the series. Thanks for scrolling all the way down here. What do you guys think about these teams' looks?

The Czechia jerseys look very unique like you said, the yellow accents taken from the crest are interesting but not sure how much it feels true to their identity. Like you said they dont have a clear identity in hockey, however they do in other sports like soccer which often carries over. Speaking of which, the road jersey really has a soccer feel to it would make for a cool Czechia kit.

• 1 year later...