Islanders 50th Anniversary Series

Discrim

Kings - Blues - Penguins - North Stars/Seals - Sabres - Canucks

Once upon a time, the remaining Expansion Six turned 50...then the Sabres and Canucks celebrated becoming old a few years later.  And now, we see not only the Isles and Flames, but the WHA.  We kick this thing off with the Islanders.  Basically their traditional striping but in orange, using the Stadium Series version of the NY crest.  Penguins go with the robo hummingbird on a steel gray version of their early 70s jersey (shamelessly admitting I simply took my Pens anniversary file and made that Pens jersey more black-heavy, along with changing the crest and adding gray from their 90s alt-turned-road.)

islanders50th70s.png 

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

80s Night...so 80s blue striping vs. the Devils (in hockey Rockies striping)...for the crest, you get Gorton/Highliner...yeah yeah, I know that's the old Padres numbers, that's the closest I have and there's no wave to contour the numbers to anyway, so :P 

Incidentally, apparently Captain Highliner crossed the border a while back, I was checking out the frozen fish aisle at my local Pick n' Save a while back and noticed they had some Highliner fish for sale.  

islanders50th80s.png

90s Night's next...I'm not gonna :censored: up the waves and yoke like the Isles' RR did, promise.

• Like 4

2016cubscreamsig.png

90s Night...versus the least likely team ever, the Leafs.  Isles is basically mashing up the fishsticks with their short-lived black alts...I went with the Leafs partly because a royal blue version of the Liberty jersey is among the real life Reverse Retro set this year, and anybody else is either the Penguins again, in the West (cue obligatory Canucks appearance in the Flames series because of course) or I'd already used in one of the earlier anniversary sets.  So the Leafs set is based on the throwbacks they wore in honor of Maple Leaf Gardens' 65th anniversary, but with the current leaf and one fewer stripe on each sleeve...that, and I put em in double blue for the heck of it.  Feels much less awkward than silver.

islanders50th90s.png

2000s Night's got a couple options I'm looking at, the pre-Edge orange alt and the 07-10 main design.  You'll know when I know.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

Went with the orange alt's design, but in white and with the 80s version of the crest.  Figured the Flyers should finally appear in one of these things, so we have a battle of crappy pre-Edge alternate designs tonight.  I kinda feel bad about this, I left them out of the big Expansion Six project (granted, for good reasons), and when I finally use them as an opponent, I go with the worst jersey design they've ever worn.  Only upside is these two combined didn't take as insanely long to trace as the fisherman waves.

islanders50th2000s.png

The last of this series will probably be a blue version of the Brooklyn jersey.  Already got the perfect opponent in mind.  Starting on the Flames series after that.

• Like 3

2016cubscreamsig.png

8 hours ago, Discrim said:

Went with the orange alt's design, but in white and with the 80s version of the crest.  Figured the Flyers should finally appear in one of these things, so we have a battle of crappy pre-Edge alternate designs tonight.  I kinda feel bad about this, I left them out of the big Expansion Six project (granted, for good reasons), and when I finally use them as an opponent, I go with the worst jersey design they've ever worn.  Only upside is these two combined didn't take as insanely long to trace as the fisherman waves.

islanders50th2000s.png

The last of this series will probably be a blue version of the Brooklyn jersey.  Already got the perfect opponent in mind.  Starting on the Flames series after that.

That actually looks really clean in white. If the NHL does another round of Reverse Retros this should be what they do

ZUH86xc.png

2010s Night...base design is the Brooklyn alternate, but in the pre-Edge colors and crest.  Figured the stripes would alternate like the old shoulder patch stripes, and I'd initially had orange numbers, but that looked way too similar to the Oilers' alt for my liking.  Also wound up fitting into the alternating colors theme, as evidenced by my choice of orange names on the back to tie into it.  If you guessed the Rangers would be the opponent, you get 53 internet points and 1/3 of a Twitter like :D  basically an inversion of their most recent Winter Classic uniform with the crest being a larger version of the simplified Ranger shield they'd worn on the left chest.

islanders50th2010s.png

And that wraps up the Islanders Anniversary series, but fret not...as I said earlier, I'll be starting a Flames series in a day or two, which will likely see an ECHL cameo.  I also have a WHA Anniversary miniseries in the planning stages, though that feels like it'll be even more of a nine-car pileup than the North Stars series was :D 

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png