NFL Shield on 49ers 1994 Jerseys

Anyone know what the story was behind the  inconsistent presence of the NFL shield on the jersey collar of both the home and away 49ers jerseys during the 1994 season? Looking back at game photos of specific players, some games the shield was there, some games they weren’t. In the Super Bowl it looks like there was a mix of shield/no-shield jerseys. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

c27cbc28-7354-418d-a200-ad0ec002dbf3-Ric
spacer.png
spacer.png
pxodmjcrmsogtublynxu

Super Bowl:

san-francisco-49ers-wide-receiver-jerry-

cornerback-deion-sanders-of-the-san-fran

All throwback jerseys in 1994 did not have the NFL logo on them. Maybe they changed them to regular NFL logo jerseys when the 49ers petitioned the league to make them the home and road midseason and some players either kept theirs or switched to the new one. That's my guess.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

All throwback jerseys in 1994 did not have the NFL logo on them. Maybe they changed them to regular NFL logo jerseys when the 49ers petitioned the league to make them the home and road midseason and some players either kept theirs or switched to the new one. That's my guess.

That's exactly my thought as well.  I bet if you looked at the date of those photos, while there's probably a little overlap, the majority of no-shield ones were early in the year, and the majority of shield ones were either playoffs or later in the year.

EDIT: Actually, upon further review, it looks like some of the no-shield photos are from the Super Bowl, which makes little sense unless those guys just kept their early-season jerseys and the league didn't care because that was right around the time when Proline was starting and consistency wasn't the top priority.  Or... who the hell knows.  

Also - never realized how different Deion's font was from the rest of the numbers.  Stuff was weird back then.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."