iamdaviinci's 2022/23 Nike x NBA Earned Edition Project

iamdaviinci

Hey, all! It’s been several years since I was last active on here – as Hoopladawg87 – but I’ve still been designing uniform concepts. I joined the social media community shortly after COVID started, but it seems there’s less and less meaningful discussion on those platforms these days. That’s led me back here, and I’m looking forward to any and all feedback, criticism, etc.!

Last spring, I started an Earned Edition project which included new uniform designs for all 16 of the NBA’s playoff teams. My self-imposed design brief as follows:

1) The look must be identifiable – this is the foundation of good, fundamental branding;

2) The concept must extend the brand in a meaningful and/or relevant way; and

3) The design should incorporate un(der)used assets, such as colors, marks, and logos, whenever reasonably possible.

With those guidelines in mind, I’ve spent some time over the past few months revising my original ideas. More specifically, I’ve made adjustments to further align each concept with its respective team’s identity and uniform Editions for the 2022/23 season.

I’m very confident in where this project stands currently, but I’m also excited to continue improving it however I can. As always, any and all thoughts and suggestions are sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(First actual post coming momentarily once I fix formatting)

• Like 2

Starting out, I’ll post every other day, sharing two concepts per post. I’m quite deliberate when it comes to working, so revisions will be posted more sporadically.

Here we go…

ATLANTA HAWKS

Building on the Hawks' secondary peach-themed color palette, this concept extrapolates the gradient numerals of their 2022/23 City Edition to the full uniform. I’m admittedly curious about production/logistics for this design, but it further embraces a unique aspect of the team’s current identity while referencing the beloved ‘90s throwbacks.

spacer.png

DENVER NUGGETS

I’ve always wanted the Nuggets to have a gold rush-themed uniform. I find it odd they haven’t worn yellow since their 2017/18 Statement Edition, considering it’s one of their primary colors and they’ve worn at least 11 different uniforms during that span. This concept uses the gold “glints” from some of the team logos to create a subtle all-over pattern while borrowing elements from the team’s current Statement Edition and 2020/21 Earned Edition.

S4iTyFL.jpg

• Like 15

Welcome back lol! 

On the Hawks - Why the Atlanta Hawks didnt go with the peach gradient to start with is quite strange to me. This is far superior compared to the actual city edition they released. Sometimes I do wonder what is going through their minds over at NBA/Nike. The concept just makes sense, I am sure they will make this one after doing a white uniform first - ref Miami Heat vice city. 

On the Nuggets - The "glint" makes a nice shimmery effect which is so very appropriate for a team named Nuggets. The balance between navy and blue is perfect too. I do not mind the Mile High City statement edition that much, but like the majority I do miss to see them wear something yellow/gold. 

Looking forward to seeing more!

• Like 3

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:30 AM, Tore said:

Welcome back lol! 

On the Hawks - Why the Atlanta Hawks didnt go with the peach gradient to start with is quite strange to me. This is far superior compared to the actual city edition they released. Sometimes I do wonder what is going through their minds over at NBA/Nike. The concept just makes sense, I am sure they will make this one after doing a white uniform first - ref Miami Heat vice city. 

On the Nuggets - The "glint" makes a nice shimmery effect which is so very appropriate for a team named Nuggets. The balance between navy and blue is perfect too. I do not mind the Mile High City statement edition that much, but like the majority I do miss to see them wear something yellow/gold. 

Looking forward to seeing more!

Appreciate you, mate!

For the Hawks, I wonder if the logistics of a full gradient could have played any role in avoiding that direction. The Mavs did it on their 2020/21 City Edition, but it was confined to just the jersey; the Wizards did it on their current City Edition, but it was confined to just the shorts. Perhaps it's only feasible across the full uniform when done like the Jazz's initial City Edition.

For the Nuggets, I'm curious if the eventual plan is to shift from navy to royal blue. They've used non-Association/Icon opportunities to incorporate royal and ignore navy (previous Statement Edition; current Statement Edition; 2020/21 Earned Edition), also at the expense of anything primarily yellow. Perhaps I'm reading too far into things, though.

CHICAGO BULLS

The Bulls’ iconic combination of colors, wordmarks and numerals, logos, and trim patterns is consistent across their Association, Icon, and Statement Editions, making for one of the strongest identities in the League. This leaves little room for proper experimentation; however, thanks to the popularity of Chicago’s city flag as well as their first three City Editions it inspired, light blue affords an interesting opportunity. This concept outfits their current Statement Edition in light blue, retaining the subtle pinstripes and reintroducing a beautiful script wordmark to complete the look.

spacer.png

MIAMI HEAT

The Heat wore a number of different color-themed uniforms during the Adidas era – Back in Black, White Hot, Red Hot, Black Tie, White Tie, etc. The black and white uniforms were especially sharp, with the Back in Black and White Hot looks being a couple of my favorite pre-Nike era alternates. The Red Hot look was underwhelming, though, as the lack of detail and/or color contrast made it too closely resemble their 2012 Christmas Day uniform. I’ve taken cues from their ‘90s alternate to fix that, sharpening the shade of red, introducing black, and arranging the colors to maintain the typical balance of their uniform template.

spacer.png

• Like 7

UTAH JAZZ

It’s tough to properly extend the Jazz’s current brand, as it’s underwhelming, unrelated to the team’s history, and apparently undesirable to the team itself. That said, I think the best approach is to building on the black/yellow/white color palette, inject some purple because #PurpleIsBack, and present it in a familiar and previously well-received way. This concept utilizes the template of their Dark Mode City Edition as its base, then adds the note/number from their previous Statement Edition, 2018/19 Earned Edition, 2020/21 Earned Edition, and current Association Edition.

3mFjCnU.jpg

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS

The Warriors have had one of the League's most focused uniform programs throughout the Nike era so far. The template generally remains the same, but colors, themes, and imagery continue to offer fresh takes time and time again. With white and royal blue covered by their Association and Icon Editions, respectively, and a number of yellow, navy, and black uniforms over the past few years, it’s time to branch out a bit further. This concept takes us back to when and where the dynasty was born – 2009, in The Bay, when the Warriors selected Stephen Curry with the seventh pick in the draft. The rest is history.

2UT0rcw.jpg

• Like 7

DALLAS MAVERICKS

This is a modernized take on the Mavs’ disastrous “trash bag” alternate worn for exactly one game during the 2003/04 season. Their core identity is essentially the same now as it was nearly two decades ago, but their current Statement Edition offers at least some fresh inspiration. The base color is anthracite, rather than anything metallic, and royal blue is drawn in from the collar/armhole accents to the wordmark/numeral strokes to create a bit more cohesion and contrast.

VnDae04.jpg

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

The Sixers’ current identity is just about perfect for them – it’s clean, classic, and rooted in history. They’ve maintained a sharp focus across most Statement, City, and Earned Editions, consistently rolling out looks that are identifiable and on-brand. This is no exception, as it introduces a simple navy version of their current Association and Icon Editions.

nXa4Uod.jpg

• Like 8

TORONTO RAPTORS

I really like the Raptors’ direction when it comes to their uniform sets. Their recent rebranding produced Association, Icon, and Statement Editions which are simple and unique, and their City Edition program has established a strong secondary identity with the OVO black and gold. Their identity is a bit difficult to expand -- it does only a few things, and in my opinion it does them quite well. That said, I think a cool grey look focusing on the ‘North’ branding can fit neatly into their rotation while introducing something a little different.

L99EzIQ.jpg

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

The Grizzlies’ identity and uniforms are well-constructed, but sometimes it feels as though they don’t maximize the use of their colors. I like their Association, Icon, and Statement Editions well enough, but at times they look a bit drab and uninspired. For such an electric team, I think it’s appropriate to introduce something brighter and bolder. Yellow feels like an afterthought across most of their uniforms, but in the limited capacity of Earned Edition I think it can also function well as a focal point. The ‘MEM’ shipping container mark completes the look, as its prominence and simplicity help create balance.

91iPW6g.jpg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

TORONTO RAPTORS

I really like the Raptors’ direction when it comes to their uniform sets. Their recent rebranding produced Association, Icon, and Statement Editions which are simple and unique, and their City Edition program has established a strong secondary identity with the OVO black and gold. Their identity is a bit difficult to expand -- it does only a few things, and in my opinion it does them quite well. That said, I think a cool grey look focusing on the ‘North’ branding can fit neatly into their rotation while introducing something a little different.

L99EzIQ.jpg

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

The Grizzlies’ identity and uniforms is well-constructed, but sometimes it feels as though they don’t maximize the use of their colors. I like their Association, Icon, and Statement Editions well enough, but at times they look a bit drab and uninspired. For such an electric team, I think it’s appropriate to introduce something brighter and bolder. Yellow feels like an afterthought across most of their uniforms, but in the limited capacity of Earned Edition I think it can also function well as a focal point. The ‘MEM’ shipping container mark completes the look, as its prominence and simplicity help create balance.

91iPW6g.jpg

I like the idea for Memphis, but I'm getting heavy Pacers vibe from that one. Maybe flip the navy and light blue?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I like the idea for Memphis, but I'm getting heavy Pacers vibe from that one. Maybe flip the navy and light blue?

Really appreciate the feedback! I think you're right -- the color palette strays too close toward the Pacers' identity, and there aren't enough of the Grizzlies' unique brand elements to reel it back in. That's one of most frequent complaints about Nike's uniform program, especially when it comes to Statement, City, and Earned Edition alternates.

I'm skeptical to pair too much light blue with the yellow. The Grizz were on TNT last night wearing their light blue Statement Edition with yellow accessories, and I wasn't a fan of that combination. I think their Statement Edition offers a better canvas for the application of yellow, though, as the trim, paneling, wordmarks, and numerals are all extremely identifiable. 

Does this feel like an improvement?

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES v2

XSYGAH5.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

Really appreciate the feedback! I think you're right -- the color palette strays too close toward the Pacers' identity, and there aren't enough of the Grizzlies' unique brand elements to reel it back in. That's one of most frequent complaints about Nike's uniform program, especially when it comes to Statement, City, and Earned Edition alternates.

I'm skeptical to pair too much light blue with the yellow. The Grizz were on TNT last night wearing their light blue Statement Edition with yellow accessories, and I wasn't a fan of that combination. I think their Statement Edition offers a better canvas for the application of yellow, though, as the trim, paneling, wordmarks, and numerals are all extremely identifiable. 

Does this feel like an improvement?

MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES v2

XSYGAH5.jpg

Perfect. The navy provides enough restraint for the light blue to shine while not being overpowering. And you're right, the Statement edition's side panels are a much better match for these colors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, johne9109 said:

This looks better but I did like the MEM on the front. That was very unique

Thanks a lot! I definitely agree with you re: the MEM mark. It felt a bit too redundant on the updated version, but I'd really like to see them use it for more than just a belt buckle logo.

18 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Perfect. The navy provides enough restraint for the light blue to shine while not being overpowering. And you're right, the Statement edition's side panels are a much better match for these colors.

Awesome -- really appreciate your help in improving this concept!

• Like 3

BOSTON CELTICS

I really like the Celtics’ City Edition tribute to Bill Russell – it’s just a great looking uniform, and I think it properly navigates the boundary between their history and a fresh take on it. There isn’t much I’d change about it, but I like the idea of flipping the base and paneling. It allows for a larger application of the subtle black parquet pattern, limits the areas of emerald green, and increases the contrast of the gold.

7097pHA.jpg

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

The Bucks’ usage of blue has always felt forced ever since they unveiled their current identity. I can appreciate the story it tells, but relevance alone don’t necessarily make for good design. Blue looks out of place with the other colors, and it doesn’t make sense in the context of the Bucks’ historical identity. Blue aside, though, I really like their new City Edition – it fits well within their current brand while also adding a new and meaningful dimension. To help connect the city of Milwaukee and the team that is the Bucks, I’ve changed the color palette to focus on black with the beloved Irish rainbow. I think a lot of City Edition looks over the years could benefit from more common threads tying new ideas back to the team's history.

x5vanDP.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 1

49 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

BOSTON CELTICS

I really like the Celtics’ City Edition tribute to Bill Russell – it’s just a great looking uniform, and I think it properly navigates the boundary between their history and a fresh take on it. There isn’t much I’d change about it, but I like the idea of flipping the base and paneling. It allows for a larger application of the subtle black parquet pattern, limits the areas of emerald green, and increases the contrast of the gold.

7097pHA.jpg

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

The Bucks’ usage of blue has always felt forced ever since they unveiled their current identity. I can appreciate the story it tells, but relevance alone don’t necessarily make for good design. Blue looks out of place with the other colors, and it doesn’t make sense in the context of the Bucks’ historical identity. Blue aside, though, I really like their new City Edition – it fits well within their current brand while also adding a new and meaningful dimension. To help connect the city of Milwaukee and the team that is the Bucks, I’ve changed the color palette to focus on black with the beloved Irish rainbow. I think a lot of City Edition looks over the years could benefit from more common threads tying new ideas back to the team's history.

x5vanDP.jpg

LOVE that Celtics uniform. I totally agree that this city edition walks that line between history and modern. Making the black the main color negates the argument I've heard that "iT lOoKs ToO mUcH lIkE a BuCkS uNiFoRm" I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what ends up being the earned edition for this year if we get them again

ZUH86xc.png

On 12/17/2022 at 11:43 AM, johne9109 said:

LOVE that Celtics uniform. I totally agree that this city edition walks that line between history and modern. Making the black the main color negates the argument I've heard that "iT lOoKs ToO mUcH lIkE a BuCkS uNiFoRm" I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what ends up being the earned edition for this year if we get them again

Appreciate the kind words! The darker green definitely pushes it closer to Bucks territory, especially considering how much they've also embraced black in recent years. I had originally tried using the Celtics' traditional green for this concept, but something about it just looked/felt off....might just be that my eyes were conditioned to the darker green from their actual City Edition, though. I'd love to see them wear something like this if Earned Edition happens this season, but none of the folks in the know have dropped any hints and Locker Vision hasn't made any acknowledgment. I'd bet against it, unfortunately.

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

I don’t mind the Timberwolves’ current set of uniforms, but I also don’t love them. I think the issue lies in that they’re fine basketball uniforms, but not great Timberwolves uniforms. Their '90s look set an incredibly high standard, but even with changing times and trends I think it can offer some insight into creating an improved look. Last year’s City Edition established an excellent foundation with the front-to-back wolf pattern and tree trim, and their new Statement Edition introduced an unexpectedly nice “TIMBERWOLVES” wordmark. Combining these elements with neutral tones – grays, silver, black – and a pop of bright green makes for a new and exciting look that feels unique to the Timberwolves.

kDD1Jmm.jpg

PHOENIX SUNS

The Suns have an excellent color palette, and they’ve made excellent use of it in recent years with their instant classic “The Valley” City Edition as well as their new Statement Edition. If done right, I think there’s still room for additional experimentation. The organization honors their city’s/state’s Hispanic heritage in a number of ways, including their first three City Edition uniforms. Here, we combine the Suns’ new Statement Edition look with a serape print pattern (similar to the Spurs’ new Statement Edition) along with a translated version of their “The Valley” wordmark.

X6828J3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 5

6 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

I don’t mind the Timberwolves’ current set of uniforms, but I also don’t love them. I think the issue lies in that they’re fine basketball uniforms, but not great Timberwolves uniforms. Their '90s look set an incredibly high standard, but even with changing times and trends I think it can offer some insight into creating an improved look. Last year’s City Edition established an excellent foundation with the front-to-back wolf pattern and tree trim, and their new Statement Edition introduced an unexpectedly nice “TIMBERWOLVES” wordmark. Combining these elements with neutral tones – grays, silver, black – and a pop of bright green makes for a new and exciting look that feels unique to the Timberwolves.

kDD1Jmm.jpg

Timberwolves is beautiful

• Like 1

ZUH86xc.png

BROOKLYN NETS

The Nets’ have had my favorite identity in the League over the past several seasons. It’s clean and coherent, but with subtle and relevant details that keep it interesting. In a lot of ways, I think their Association and Icon Editions could prove to be timeless, but I also really enjoy how fun and unique their alternate looks are. This one puts a Brooklyn spin on the early ‘90s tie dye print alternate, going gray/silver with black and white accents. The signature herringbone pattern is included in the side trim as a common thread between eras.

B7LRdWA.jpg

NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

I haven’t liked most of the Pelicans’ Mardi Gras uniforms over the years – they’ve either been too over the top or too bland, never finding the right mix. I think a larger application of the colors can go a long way, but a relevant detail is also needed to add some excitement. This concept builds on their 2021/22 City Edition, adding an abundance of purple, yellow, and green along with beaded collar trim embellishments to complete the look.

J1IqN2g.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 2