Hi everyone,

After completing my MLB x Negro League series a while back, I decided to put together a batch of concepts reimagining another defunct baseball league from the earliest 20th century: the Federal League, AKA the "third major league," which lasted from 1913-15. 

First up are the Cleveland Green Sox:

GREEN SOX HOME:

Green-Sox-Home.png

GREEN SOX ROAD:

Green-Sox-Road.png

GREEN SOX HOME ALT:

Green-Sox-Home-Alt-w-script.png

GREEN SOX ROAD ALT:

Green-Sox-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- The script "C" is the Cleveland Naps' 1909 primary logo, which comes fairly close to the Green Sox logo

- I worked up a new "Green Sox" script to go with the cap logo while making use of the Guardians' current numbers and road wordmark.

- My favorite detail here is the flying sock sleeve logo, which features the wings from the Guardian statues' helmets

As always, C&C is appreciated! The next team will be up soon. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Coiler said:

Like the light green color. Have to wonder how you'd do the Baltimore Terrapins or Chicago Whales in a way that isn't just variants on the Orioles/Cubs.

Thanks! And that's a great question. What's interesting is the Terrapins color scheme is pretty much identical to the Orioles', as you're about to see...

TERRAPINS HOME:

Terrapins-Home.png

TERRAPINS ROAD:

Terrapins-Road.png

TERRAPINS HOME ALT:

Terrapins-Home-Alt.png

TERRAPINS ROAD ALT:

Terrapins-Road-Alt.png

Notes:

- This one is a pretty straightforward spin on the Orioles' set, replacing the home script with a "Terrapins" one in a matching style.

- The smiling bird is replaced by the stylized terrapin logo, which I feel could work on a modern day uniform with little to no updating. 

C&C appreciated!

P.S. Congrats to O's fans on the team clinching their division and the top seed in the AL!

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Baltimore Terrapins 9/29)
On 9/30/2023 at 10:01 AM, Dozap17 said:

Nice start to this series so far, the Baltimore Terrapins could well pass for the real-life Orioles, as a Cleveland fan Green Sox is admittedly a more well-thought out name than Guardians

Thanks! And I tend to agree about the Guardians. In hindsight, I wish Cleveland had gone all-in on the identity change and switched to a new color scheme. 

Starting the new week with the Brooklyn Tip-Tops!

TIP-TOPS HOME:

Tip-Tops-Home.png

TIP-TOPS ROAD:

Tip-Tops-Road.png

TIP-TOPS ALT:

Tip-Tops-Alt.png

Notes:

- For the home uniform, I went with subtle pinstripes (a la the Twins' new road set) as a nod to the Tip-Tops' pinstriped look. 

- The "Tip-Tops" script was made using a font called "Catchland," which matches the Dodgers' scripts almost identically. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 6

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Brooklyn Tip-Tops 10/2)
19 hours ago, Coiler said:

Looks too much like the Dodgers for me, but I can see why you did that.

Fair enough. Perhaps you'll like the next team a bit better:

REBELS HOME:

Rebels-Home-w-pinstripes.png

REBELS ROAD:

Rebels-Road-w-pinstripes.png

REBELS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Rebels-Alt.png

Notes:

- According to Ebbets Field Flannels, Pittsburgh's Federal League team used green as their primary color, so I paired it with black to produce a Pirates-esque look. 

- Since the Rebels also wore pinstripes, I used the Bucs' pinstriped, sleeveless look from 2005-10 for inspiration. 

C&C appreciated as always!

• Like 6

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Pittsburgh Rebels 10/7)
On 10/10/2023 at 3:45 AM, Coiler said:

Like the green and black.

Thanks! 

Next up are the Chicago Whales!

WHALES HOME:

Whales-Home.png

WHALES ROAD:

Whales-Road.png

WHALES HOME/ROAD ALT:

Whales-Alt.png

Notes:

- The Whales' identity meshes pretty perfectly with the Cubs,' and their 1915 logo was likely inspired directly by it. The North Siders have thrown back to the Whales on multiple occasions. 

- Color-wise, I shifted from the Cubs' royal blue to the Whales' darker navy. 

- I used the Cubs' one-and-done 1990 road wordmark so I could incorporate the cap logo into it.  

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 5

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Chicago Whales 10/11)
On 10/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, Coiler said:

A little more conservative than I would have gone for (like say, having them in a color named "orca" ), but still a good whale of a uniform.

Thanks! I wanted to stick with the blue and red color scheme since it was shared by the Whales and Cubs.

Speaking of the Whales, next up are their biggest rivals, the St. Louis Terriers!

TERRIERS HOME:

Terriers-Home-w-bone.png

TERRIERS ROAD:

Terriers-Road-w-red-piping.png

TERRIERS ROAD ALT:

Terriers-Alt-w-T-bars.png

Notes:

- I had a lot of fun with the Terriers. For the colors, I combined those of St. Louis' two MLB teams at the time--the Cardinals' red and the Browns' brown. 

- The jerseys are zip-ups and feature thick T-bars and piping based on the 1940s Cardinals

- Inspired by the Redbirds' iconic "birds on the bat" logo, the scripts include a dog bone jutting through them. Here's a closer look at the home script. 
- The alt would ideally only be worn on the road so that the piping would be consistent with the pants. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (St. Louis Terriers 10/16)
On 10/19/2023 at 5:32 AM, Coiler said:

My favorite of the set! Love the dog bone and the use of the underappreciated St. Louis Browns style.

Thanks! Once I added the bone, the Terriers wound up being one of my favorites, too.

Finishing out the week with the Kansas City Packers!

PACKERS HOME:

Packers-Home-w-outlines.png

PACKERS ROAD:

Packers-Road.png

PACKERS HOME/ROAD ALT:

Packers-Alt.png

Notes:

- The  Packers' look is loosely based on the Royals, with added pinstripes and a touch of red. The Royals threw back to the Packers in a game against the Cubs (dressed as the Whales) in 2015.  

- I incorporated a new home script in the style of the Royals.

C&C appreciated! Full disclosure, I had actually planned for the Packers to be the final team in the series but decided to add one more team at the last minute. 

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Kansas City Packers 10/20)
7 minutes ago, Coiler said:

That's not green and yellow :D . Unfortunately, blue and red are the most generic MLB colors imaginable.

Yeah, I get that. But those were the Packers' colors (and blue is a Royals color), so that's what I went with.

Let's finish up today with the Buffalo Blues!

BLUES HOME:

Blues-Home-w-modern-wordmark.png

BLUES ROAD:

Blues-Road.png

BLUES HOME/ROAD ALT:

Blues-Alt-w-modern-wordmarks.png

Notes:

- Ok, so this one stretches the premise of the series just a bit. Obviously, there's no MLB team in Buffalo, but given Toronto's affiliation with the city (their AAA team the Bisons play at Sahlen Field, and the Blue Jays played home games there during the COVID-shortened 2020 season) I decided to put together a Jays-inspired design. 

- The design beneath the wordmarks is the Bisons' alternate cap logo and is meant to evoke the original blue jay head logo.  

And that does it! Thanks for everyone who followed along. I'll have another fun series launching shortly, so keep your eyes peeled!

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to MLB x Federal League Baseball (Buffalo Blues 10/24)