TBT - Old New Orleans Hornets gear

B-Rich

Went to last night's Pelicans game with my elder daughter:
iCFoBKC.jpg
During the game, she and I were reminiscing about when we first got the then-Hornets franchise in 2002 when she was just a five year old.   We talked about how one of the first items of New Orleans Hornets merchandise that were available to the public were these nylon rain resistant warm-up sets for little kids, so of course I got them for her and her sister.  She was able to find two photos, younger daughter wearing them in both, elder daughter in one:
LAovziy.jpg

xiqnuUy.jpg

Very early merch, these came out before the unis were even released, but they did have the new slightly changed "New Orleans Hornets" (w/ Hugo dribbling a basketball) logo embroidered on the upper left chest.  The outfits had none of the  gold/yellow that was added to the logo and color scheme upon the move to New Orleans,  just the teal and purple (and white).  The back stripe had "HORNETS" in a relief cut-out (base teal in the purple stripe)...  not sure why these were out before anything else, but they were-- probably the outfits themselves were in a warehouse somewhere and it was as simple as adding the small embroidered patch on the front as a final item. 

I can't get over the 2nd photo, which was taken outside in the front yard--those little holly bushes behind them are now about 8-9 feet tall; I have to put Christmas lights in them this weekend...

• Like 1
  • Love 4

It is what it is.

Neat pictures, and nice job pouncing on merch from before they even nailed down the color scheme.

I was thinking the other day and was going to ask you: how would you feel about a Pelicans Mardi Gras alt that used K&B Purple?

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

Neat pictures, and nice job pouncing on merch from before they even nailed down the color scheme.

Thanks. Just a little nostalgia that I  thought some of the board who are logo/uni geeks like me might appreciate.

13 hours ago, the admiral said:

I was thinking the other day and was going to ask you: how would you feel about a Pelicans Mardi Gras alt that used K&B Purple?

It might be tricky. 

Mardi Gras purple, green and gold is pretty standard (see OG New Orleans Jazz unis for reference).  "K&B Purple" leans more to the red side of purple, nearly bordering on magenta:
1e2955465cf36b20ce1b631c536db398.jpgs-l1600.jpg

I think it would be a neat idea if it was presented as a nostalgia thing with all three colors as a Mardi Gras "Ain't Dere No More" special uni-- something like K&B purple and Dixie Beer green/gold:
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1

• Like 2

It is what it is.

• 1 month later...

I was walking into the Harahan Walmart the other day and a guy gets out of his vehicle in a Hornets pullover with a gold word mark across the chest (can’t remember if it read “New Orleans” or “Hornets” though).

Something similar to this:

2011-12-new-orleans-hornets-lance-thomas

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png