Houston Texans New Uniforms 2024

mahnkej

Houston will officially be unvealing their new uniforms this April, right around the time of the NFL Draft. To the best of my knowledge, nothing has offically leaked yet... though we do know a few details via Houston's head of marketing/communications. From UniWatch:

• The team will have four new uniforms.
  • “H-Town Blue” — i.e., the Oilers’ old shade of Columbia blue — will be an accent color, not a main color.
  • The team’s primary logo will not be changing.
  • The new uniforms will be unveiled during the lead-up to the draft in late April

Additionally, it's been revealed that the four new uniforms will all be distinct from one another, and not just the same design in different colors. Per that same UniWatch article:

“We said, ‘OK, if you want timeless traditional, here’s the one uniform that answers that,’” he said. “If you want to take it one step further and say timeless traditional gets refreshed, we have one for that. If you said, ‘Hey, I’m into this bull thing, let’s get wild,’ we have one for that. And if someone said, ‘Hey, I want you to pay homage to H-Town Blue,’ and if the players are saying, ‘I want something tough, I want something mean,’ we’ve got something for that.”

Whew. On one hand, it's good to know that Houston is putting some thought into this. At the same time, I could definitely see this being a complete s**t show. Nike doesn't exactly have a stellar track record over the past few years. Hopefully they were sincere about taking fan input into account, and using the lessons learned from previous rebrands.

With all that being said, I designed four new uniforms which work within the framework of everything previously mentioned. Here they are, along with a few notes about each:

1. Red (Home) Uniforms:  This was actually the first design I came up with, and probably my favorite one of the set. If it were up to me, it would have been easier to use these as the base for the whole set (which I did, in Part 2 of this thread).  This one would qualify as the 'Hey, I’m into this bull thing, let’s get wild' look. In this version, "Battle Red" helmets become the new primary, while a partial horn pattern is incorporated on the sleeves. This is an idea I got from South Florida's football jerseys, which is something I think could look really sharp if done right. Shoulders get single white stars (Texas is the Lone Star State, after all).  Number font and chest wordmark are still Houston's proprietary font, just with the colors & sizing tweaked. Moving down to the white pants, the Texas flag imagery is also utilized here in the form of a "master stripe" pattern. This pattern is also used for red and navy blue pant variants, as my hunch here is that Houston's jerseys themselves will be unique,  rather than the entire set . This would enable them to better mix & match different color combinations.

6z2A4un.png

2.  White (Road) Uniforms: 'Timeless traditional gets refreshed.' This set is basically an homeage to the state of Texas, with a Texas flag sleeve pattern to match the pants. Traditional TV numbers are used on the shoulders, and there's also a touch of H-Town Blue in form of Nike Swoosh accents.  Like the home uniforms, player numbers are now primarily navy blue, as using primarily red numbers would make these way too red-heavy when paired with the red helmets & pants.

8Ola6mr.png

3. Navy Blue (Color Rush) Uniforms: Definitely the closest thing to what they currently wear, with a handful of changes. The (now alternate) navy blue helmets get a new oversized horn decal, with a lone white star on the helmet rear. Red shoulder stripes get a white outline, while the player names, chest wordmark, and sleeve numbers are now also primarily white to create some contrast. Rear neckline gets a small red tag-  a relatively new design feature that's becoming increasing common - and their little-used secondary logo. Inside neckline is also red, with a "We Are Texans" wordmark. Overall, this one qualifies as the ‘I want something tough, I want something mean,’  look.

038QSoI.png

4. Navy/H-Town Blue (Alternate) Uniforms: Biggest departure from their current look, and the only one in this set to use truly all-new stuff. This one would qualify as both 'timeless traditional' as well as the 'homage to H-Town Blue'  look. Jerseys again use navy blue as the base color, with red, white, and H-Town Blue as accent colors. Although I'm sure light blue jerseys  would look fantastic,  I believe there's a concern about the (extremely petty) Tennessee Titans hitting them with legal action should they attempt to use anything too close to the Houston Oilers identity.  The white player numbers are a more tradtional font, while H-Town Blue and Battle Red are used a stripe colors on the sleeves, pants, and socks. Inside of the jersey collars are H-Town Blue with a white 'H-Town Made' wordmark. This H-Town motif also carries over to the helmets, which feature a Gothic "H" logo which is something they've teased on social media before. Helmets also get a single H-Town Blue stripe and white masks to complete this very clean, traditional look.

RMvYBKR.png

Hope y'all like these! Comments/feedback welcome.

Houston Texans New Uniforms, Part 2

Here's my ideal version of my Texans concepts, without any known limitations (total number of sets, different design requirements, etc.). Basically,  I made three different versions of the 'sleeve horn stripe/shoulder star' design, as well as a new all-white uniform combination with everything essentially reversed.  I also used the oversized horn design on the red helmets, to show what all the different helmet options might look like. Here. too, I didn't use white helmets or H-Town Blue jerseys, in order to create some contrast from the classic Houston Oilers brand.

9K9Dbfu.png

w1zQ5AL.png

xvdg4dE.png

7L1v5wX.png

I like these concepts. While I'm not a huge fan of each jersey being a different design, I think that you did a good job of making them look good. I think Columbia blue works best as a sparsely used accent color, but it could maybe be used a little bit on the home jersey. The sleeve cuff would maybe look better if it matched the horn I feel. Using the shoulders as a logo space is interesting and reminds me a bit of hockey. The number font for the H-town alternate looks really nice, and I would love it if the Texans would lean more into a slightly western style.

I'm liking the bull horn on the helmet logo. That's one of those, I can't believe I didn't think of that, ideas.  I'm very traditional when it comes to uniforms, but I like the asymmetry on the white jersey sleeves.  Very subtle. 

• Like 1

iq5b7nF.png

These are great! The H-Town uniform reminds me a little too much of the Titans, which I imagine the Texans do not want to mimic in anyway. They can do this by featuring more red, which the Titans uniforms lack. Alternatively, I think the uniform will look more like one of these hats they sent out:

FmUcPPuWIAAn8qt?format=jpg&name=large

I would prefer they go the white route, as a nod to the old Oilers:

0000312868_68641fc1-f721-4eca-8dab-4aa1b

• Like 3

On 1/31/2024 at 10:26 AM, jc... said:

I'm liking the bull horn on the helmet logo. That's one of those, I can't believe I didn't think of that, ideas.  I'm very traditional when it comes to uniforms, but I like the asymmetry on the white jersey sleeves.  Very subtle. 

Much appreciated! Honestly I tend to favor traditional design as well, I normally don't like asymmetry on uniforms at all. But it seemed to work well with that particular set.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey @mahnkej, can you make those white jerseys with the Texas flag shoulders have light blue numbers outlined with red in the new font style that they just released?

I think those jerseys with the white pants (light blue Nike logo) you made could definitely be a nice alternate uniform they could wear at home!

Please display that rendering on here!?