Careers/Jobs

On 1/31/2024 at 6:54 PM, BullockDesigns said:

Is there anyone that has a career or job in graphic design? Specifically in sports logos? Would love to turn this hobby and interest into something proffesional one day, just don't know where to start.

My best advice to you (and anyone else in your same boat) is to get a portfolio out there and visible. Assemble your best work, not all your work, and get it online, via Behance to start. I'm not sure if Dribbble is still by invite only (it used to be... it's also lost some steam over the years). You can even get an Instagram profile going. If you do, make sure it's public, though. 

Next, start following and commenting on the works of graphic artists/ designers whose work you respect and/or admire, and ask them questions. For whatever reason that seems to be a dying means these days, but asking good probing questions about a design or some part of the process that went into the design is a good—not guaranteed, but good—way to at least engage with some established and experienced designers. Network with the ones who do engage you; continue to comment on/ask of the works of those who haven't engaged you yet. Do this long enough and consistently enough, and eventually you may hear "thru the grapevine" of an opportunity or two here or there. 

But while you're doing all that, also be sure you're working constantly on improving your own skills. This game is like Missouri: there's a whole lot of "show-me" involved. Show you belong in the crowd...and that comes with time and work. Keep at and sooner or later you may find yourself making some inroads....

...Hope this helps!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

47 minutes ago, tBBP said:

My best advice to you (and anyone else in your same boat) is to get a portfolio out there and visible. Assemble your best work, not all your work, and get it online, via Behance to start. I'm not sure if Dribbble is still by invite only (it used to be... it's also lost some steam over the years). You can even get an Instagram profile going. If you do, make sure it's public, though. 

Next, start following and commenting on the works of graphic artists/ designers whose work you respect and/or admire, and ask them questions. For whatever reason that seems to be a dying means these days, but asking good probing questions about a design or some part of the process that went into the design is a good—not guaranteed, but good—way to at least engage with some established and experienced designers. Network with the ones who do engage you; continue to comment on/ask of the works of those who haven't engaged you yet. Do this long enough and consistently enough, and eventually you may hear "thru the grapevine" of an opportunity or two here or there. 

But while you're doing all that, also be sure you're working constantly on improving your own skills. This game is like Missouri: there's a whole lot of "show-me" involved. Show you belong in the crowd...and that comes with time and work. Keep at and sooner or later you may find yourself making some inroads....

...Hope this helps!

Thanks! I appreciate your insight.

• Like 1

spacer.png

In design, but not sports. Didn't go to design school. Now I do more UX/UI work instead of graphics/branding. All of that is to say I've had a weird career path and maybe not what you're looking for, but most people do truthfully. It's a challenging field to break into, there's a lot of nepotism and there are always people who want the work but don't want to pay for it.

It's important to have a portfolio, but also to have a network. Putting your designs on Behance or whatever is obviously necessary but it's also the easy part. The tougher part is having a network of people who will employ you or recommend you for employment. Take relevant internships (but make sure they're paid). Be communicative with fellow designers, but also non-designers. Consider your skillset T-shaped; it's good to demonstrate real expertise in one or two things, but also competency in other related things. Consider whether you want to work for an agency, in-house, or as a freelancer. (And be realistic that freelancing is NOT for everyone or even most people.)

I don't have sports design-specific suggestions, but these are just ideas for the field at large.

• Like 2

I got my start by posting concepts on here in 2010. I tried out some design for almost every league at  in some fashion or other. I still haven't stopped making things obviously, I'm still putting concepts out 14 years later. I think what helped me out was constantly trying new things which forced me in a lot of instances to learn new techniques to get designs done, so it helped with the technical aspects of designing. 

I think the biggest thing about getting into sports design as a career is that no two paths are the same for anyone. I went to college for a blanket graphic design degree, had (still do) a Behance and Dribble accounts, but it was my work on here that got me noticed to work for Boise State football, which got me an internship at the college I transferred to and then a year and a half later, I get hired by Fanatics and am getting advice on my designs and work by the guys working on the NHL jerseys. 

I guess if there's a way to sum it all up, it's to get your work out there. Instagram, Twitter/X, anyway you can. Follow people in the industry, get advice from them, and at the end of the day:

make cool stuff

• Like 2

AmPJ0Ty.png