United Football League uniforms, redone in USFL style.

Last week I left a post in the current "UFL Branding and Uniform News thread" that read as follows;

The USFL returned with some really nice branding a few years ago.  All nice updated nods to the original 80s looks.  One helmet, one pair of pants, two jerseys.  No monochrome, no leotard pants and socks combos.  Nicely done all around. The XFL’s comeback arrived with some really terrible uniforms, to no one’s surprise.  Ugly monochrome, gimmicky crap everywhere.  I’m also not surprised this merger has made the former USFL teams go more in the direction of the nasty XFL styles.  Disappointing but not surprising.  

I’m thinking about a concept series where the designs go in the opposite direction… the XFL teams take on the old USFL feel.  

So, yeah, I got right on that. The XFL 2.0 uniforms from the past year were a complete disaster, while the USFL 2.0 uniforms were largely good. Now, after the merger, the Michigan Panthers and the Birmingham Stallions are probably still the best uniforms post merger (Memphis was the worst USFL uniform, making it just an average UFL uniform), but all have been taken down a notch with bad color matching, dumb pants stripes and monochrome becoming (no doubt) the go-to choice. The UFL's version of the XFL holdovers are terrible across the board. So I thought, wouldn't it have been nice if the XFL teams had adopted  the USFL style with this merger? And, based on the USFL 2.0's two year run, that "USFL style" is as follows;

• One helmet, one dark jersey, one white jersey, one pair of pants, one pair of socks. (I think the Stallions were the only exception, as I believe they had both white and gold pants, but I'm rectifying that here.)
  • No non-white monochrome combinations.
  • Socks that contrast in color from the pants.
  • And while not an absolute rule, there was definitely a trend towards more traditional stripes on the jerseys and pants.

Anyway, I'm posting all 8 in one big dump. Enjoy!  (Or hate, it's up to you.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Really digging these updates!

The one that I’m not so sure about is San Antonio. The white helmet feels a bit off.

Recently in a different thread, I was defending the L A Chargers use of white helmets with gold pants so I used this as an opportunity to continue the argument.  

The yellow bit on the Brahmas helmet doesn't really fit. I think a yellow or dark grey lid would be the better way to go. 

Houston with their red 2020 jerseys and the cog logo would probably work as an alternate jersey as well. Minus the side stripes of course.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

A few thoughts:

MEM:  I like the addition of grey to their palette. Works well with the blue & gold.

ARL:  I might try to keep some version of the yoke, since you pretty much have all 8 teams using standard sleeve stripes, which made sense in 1983 but is not really aligned with the current cut of jerseys without sleeves.  The 2020 version of the Renegade jersey worked pretty well with a yoke and shoulder stripe combo. 

HOU: Here I would look at using different sleeve colors, again like 2020.  Either that or some form of striping that makes use of the "oil slick" effect from the 2023 uniforms.

STL: One of very few improvements from 2020 to 2023 was turning the sword stripe on the Battlehawk helmet into a stripe that resembled the Gateway Arch.  I think even with a blue helmet that would make sense. 

DC:  I like the return to the lightning motif on the sleeves and pants.  But why a single stripe on the helmet.  Perhaps no stripe is needed?

SAN:  I like the pant and shoulder stripes.  Not sold on the white helmet.  

Overall an improvement over the XFL style we see IRL.  

• Like 1