A 2024 NHL Redesign Concept Series - (8/32) Edmonton and Florida added

Jack Holmes

Hi! I've started making some NHL concepts and usually that results in me attempting a total league-wide redesign. I've done this a few times in the past, but not since 2019. In fact I haven't really made any concepts in the last 5 years so I might be a little rusty and still indebted to an old paint.net template. So excuse any roughness.

There is no real theme or goal of this series - some designs may be bolder, some may stick close to conventional designs. The only idea is to give all 32 teams slightly new uniforms and adhere to some sort of design plausibility, this isn't necessarily what I think most teams should change to tomorrow or anything.

I appreciate any feedback and criticism. I'll apologise now if your team looks ugly to you in my series. :D

• Like 2

First up

Calgary Flames 

CALGARY SET 2024 copy

I've always liked the burgundy colour for Calgary, even if it's less striking on the ice than the flame red, to me it just screams "sweater" in like a western/Alberta kind of region. Just going for a warm look. And Blasty has been my favourite hockey logo since I was a kid so like any opportunity to lead with him I'll take. Beyond that I think it's a very basic 2000s era Flames design. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

First up

Calgary Flames 

53786138619_935df364d2_b.jpg

I've always liked the burgundy colour for Calgary, even if it's less striking on the ice than the flame red, to me it just screams "sweater" in like a western/Alberta kind of region. Just going for a warm look. And Blasty has been my favourite hockey logo since I was a kid so like any opportunity to lead with him I'll take. Beyond that I think it's a very basic 2000s era Flames design. 

This is a really unique look for the Flames. I like it. Nice job.

10 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

First up

Calgary Flames 

53786138619_935df364d2_b.jpg

It's a different look for the Flames and it works. My only critique would be the home jersey has too much white at the bottom, maybe try swapping white with one of the other tertiary colors

ZUH86xc.png

Sorry, been a little busy.

St. Louis Blues

ST. LOUIS SET 2024 copy1

Inspired by a sweater I saw in the prototypes thread, but also by an old design I've had for the Blues. I like trying to incorporate the thin lines from the Blues note logo into their striping pattern.

Dallas Stars

DALLAS SET 2024a copy

So the idea here is pretty basic: return to the 2000s star pattern while streamlining the colours and elements, in this case eliminating black and gold. Using the 2020 Winter Classic logo to give it a retro feel and because I don't ever feel like the proper Stars logos every actually fit on the star pattern. Feel like they need a very horizontal logo for it to work

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• Jack Holmes changed the title to A 2024 NHL Redesign Concept Series - (3/32) Dallas and St. Louis added

so far so good! loving this.

CALGARY - i've always thought they should have more white in there, it really will make the red pop.
ST. LOUIS - love this! would be curious to see the yellow lines diagonal like the 90s jersey / reverse retro, but still within the blue stripes

On 6/13/2024 at 1:41 AM, johne9109 said:

It's a different look for the Flames and it works. My only critique would be the home jersey has too much white at the bottom, maybe try swapping white with one of the other tertiary colors

A fair criticism! There aren't many teams with white as the largest secondary colour on a home jersey (maybe only Florida and Philly atm). However, I am quite partial to white working on the burgundy, here's Calgary with yellow swapped with the white.

CALGARY SET 2024 copya

• Like 3

And here's a new concept

Carolina Hurricanes

CAROLONA SET 2024a copy

Taking a lot of inspiration from their road whites, with the diagonal Canes script. Rotating black as the primary home colour mostly because there are already a ton of red teams and I have a different red jersey in mind for Carolina that doesn't match the road whites.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Jack Holmes changed the title to A 2024 NHL Redesign Concept Series - (4/32) Carolina added
8 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

A fair criticism! There aren't many teams with white as the largest secondary colour on a home jersey (maybe only Florida and Philly atm). However, I am quite partial to white working on the burgundy, here's Calgary with yellow swapped with the white.

CALGARY SET 2024 copya

The yellow as the secondary on the home looks nice

ZUH86xc.png

8 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

And here's a new concept

Carolina Hurricanes

CAROLONA SET 2024a copy

Taking a lot of inspiration from their road whites, with the diagonal Canes script. Rotating black as the primary home colour mostly because there are already a ton of red teams and I have a different red jersey in mind for Carolina that doesn't match the road whites.

I don't want them to go with a wordmark, but I'd rather them have matching jerseys like this than the hodge podge of jerseys they have now

ZUH86xc.png

I like the first version of the Calgary set. The white meshes with the set as a whole better than the yellow sleeves and hem. 

I also really like the Canes look, but I would maybe go with the red breezers for both home and road, and then give the road a bit more of that storm grey color. Kinda similar to the Panthers, where navy is a minimum, except on the breezers, gloves, and helmets. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 6/20/2024 at 9:25 AM, chcarlson23 said:

I like the first version of the Calgary set. The white meshes with the set as a whole better than the yellow sleeves and hem. 

I also really like the Canes look, but I would maybe go with the red breezers for both home and road, and then give the road a bit more of that storm grey color. Kinda similar to the Panthers, where navy is a minimum, except on the breezers, gloves, and helmets. 

Thanks, I'll tinker with Carolina a little more. It's hard to get a good colour balance with the storm grey and black on the white jerseys, they kind of blend. But I'll tinker. I tried like several combinations for Carolina :D.

Anyway, here's two more.

Winnipeg Jets

WINNIPEG SET 2024 copy

Pretty simple 90s Jets revamp. I just really like the navy and dark red for Winnipeg. I'm not a fan of the blue on blue the Nu Jets have, or the military look the team has now (although I did keep that logo as a shoulder patch).

Minnesota Wild

MINNESOTA SET 2024 copy

I've actually never been a huge fan of the green and gold for the Wild - I feel like those were distinctly North Stars colours, and go with Dallas. But I've had a change of heart. I wanted to go back to an early 2000s look for Minny in red but it always looked garish and I thought there are enough red teams as it is (even in my series), and I removed yellow/gold from my Dallas concept, so I toyed with a concept for Minnesota based on their current alt/reverse retro, and I ended up liking it. I hope others do to.

(as as aside I've been making hockey concepts for like a decade and I don't think I have ever made a green and gold Wild concept, even for me, I have more Wild concepts with green and brown). 

• Like 2

• Jack Holmes changed the title to A 2024 NHL Redesign Concept Series - (6/32) Winnipeg and Minnesota added

Since it's a special day.

Edmonton Oilers

EDMONTON SET 2024b copy

I liked the orange McDavid era, as much as I think what they're wearing right now is unbeatable, I just like orange. And I liked the reverse retro too. Brought back a slight red trim from the Smyth era as well.

Florida Panthers

FLORIDA SET 2024 copy

Trying to merge the eras, and maintaining some form of central feature, in this case a nod to the state flag as opposed to a large chest stripe.

• Like 3

• Jack Holmes changed the title to A 2024 NHL Redesign Concept Series - (8/32) Edmonton and Florida added
13 hours ago, Jack Holmes said:

Since it's a special day.

Edmonton Oilers

EDMONTON SET 2024b copy

I liked the orange McDavid era, as much as I think what they're wearing right now is unbeatable, I just like orange. And I liked the reverse retro too. Brought back a slight red trim from the Smyth era as well.

Florida Panthers

FLORIDA SET 2024 copy

Trying to merge the eras, and maintaining some form of central feature, in this case a nod to the state flag as opposed to a large chest stripe.

I like the Oilers in orange as well. It always helped them stand out from the Islanders. Panthers is a decent concept but I might drop the flag element from behind the logo

ZUH86xc.png