MLB by MJD7

MJD7

Kansas City Royals

• Instead of a plain block for the away wordmark, I went with a stylized font that closely matches the "KC" logo, and matched the number font accordingly.

MDf0ZCa.png N7eieHY.png g9VScyb.png fmAc8mx.png

• I didn't like the choice to go with navy for the longest time, but I have to admit it's grown on me. Plus, I wanted to avoid having two separate royal blue jerseys. I added a powder blue brim, and the number font & stripes now more closely match the logo.

X4N4rzJ.png

• Like 8
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Kansas City Royals

• Instead of a plain block for the away wordmark, I went with a stylized font that closely matches the "KC" logo, and matched the number font accordingly.

MDf0ZCa.png N7eieHY.png g9VScyb.png fmAc8mx.png

• I didn't like the choice to go with navy for the longest time, but I have to admit it's grown on me. Plus, I wanted to avoid having two separate royal blue jerseys. I added a powder blue brim, and the number font & stripes now more closely match the logo.

X4N4rzJ.png

Very good job, Is there any chance you'd be able to do the Royals black alternates from the mid-2000s? 

2002-royals_7njpb1zuo5bc18j5h1bwmlm5c.jp

DaDjh-WUMAAJsue?format=jpg&name=large

gT1BtSs.png

Houston Astros

• I went with orange as the primary color over navy, and added back the "shooting star" on the front.

5BlMAO4.png 7x3scY7.png LSQk3UC.png r0HBzan.png

• Their City Connect is among the best, I just added the gradient from the numbers onto the wordmark.

7FBsMU4.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

Great work on the Royals! I know it makes no sense, but I thought their BFBS were cool. I could be off, but the KANSAS CITY looks a tad low on the road and alt, IMHO.

Astros look good, could you try flipping the orange and blue on the wordmarks and numbers to see how they work with the orange accessories?

• Like 3

I'm a big fan of the changes you made to the Astros. I've always thought of the Astros as being more of an orange team than a blue team, or at least that's what they should be. There's too many blue teams anyways, and the only other orange team is the Orioles. Adding the shooting star to the jerseys takes them from looking very boring and generic to embracing their own unique identity. I really love the way the blue star on the jersey matches the blue star on the hat with the home uniform. I might pair the road uniform with the blue cap to get that same matching effect.

I agree with Paul about flipping the blue and orange on the wordmarks. Especially if they wear the blue cap with the road uniform to have the stars in matching colors, having the orange wordmark could prevent the uniform from getting too blue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Great work on the Royals! I know it makes no sense, but I thought their BFBS were cool. I could be off, but the KANSAS CITY looks a tad low on the road and alt, IMHO.

Thanks! I don't necessarily hate  the Royals' BFBS, but the Mets kind of already have black & royal blue locked down, at least for me. The away wordmark is actually almost as high as it can go, if you look at the button right above it, it just looks low because the arch is a bit stronger than is typical (like their away jersey is in real life).

7 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Astros look good, could you try flipping the orange and blue on the wordmarks and numbers to see how they work with the orange accessories?

2 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I agree with Paul about flipping the blue and orange on the wordmarks. Especially if they wear the blue cap with the road uniform to have the stars in matching colors, having the orange wordmark could prevent the uniform from getting too blue

Sure:

j17smQO.png N9EQGUx.png

I think the navy wordmarks are slightly more readable. But I wouldn't hate it.

2 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I'm a big fan of the changes you made to the Astros. I've always thought of the Astros as being more of an orange team than a blue team, or at least that's what they should be. There's too many blue teams anyways, and the only other orange team is the Orioles. Adding the shooting star to the jerseys takes them from looking very boring and generic to embracing their own unique identity. I really love the way the blue star on the jersey matches the blue star on the hat with the home uniform. I might pair the road uniform with the blue cap to get that same matching effect.

Thanks! Here's the road jersey with the blue cap (which I imagined they would wear as an occasional combo):

pFCF005.png

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone, if there are any combos of hat/jersey/pants that you would like to see that are not part of the main set, let me know, and I would be happy to oblige!

• Like 4

I like the orange lettering but I agree with you that it's a little less readable, particularly on the home uniform. I think the best way to have it is for the wordmark and shooting star tail to be contrasting colors so that they don't seem to blur together when seen from a distance. So basically the star on the cap, star on the jersey, and lettering should all be in one color and then the cap, shooting star tail, wordmark outlines, pants stripe, and socks should all be in the other color. The more I look at it, the more I think your original Astros home uniform is just perfect.

I thought of a somewhat strange request: could you try an Astros alternate with a Houston Oilers inspired color scheme? In the last few years, the Texans, Rockets, and UH Cougars have all tried out Oilers-inspired alternate uniforms. The Astros are the only team in town that hasn't done it yet!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I thought of a somewhat strange request: could you try an Astros alternate with a Houston Oilers inspired color scheme? In the last few years, the Texans, Rockets, and UH Cougars have all tried out Oilers-inspired alternate uniforms. The Astros are the only team in town that hasn't done it yet!

lsnZpqh.png

As much as I love the color scheme, can't say I'm a big fan of it for them.

• Like 2
  • Hurl 1

Detroit Tigers

• The Tigers have some pretty classic uniforms, so the only change I made was to drop the white outline from the road jersey (I don't even really mind the white outline, but I admit it does interfere with the "classic" feel).

IUPIFyS.png 1Qy5ttA.png

• For the City Connect, I added orange as an accent color, and went with the tiger logo for the cap.

y8oIJDH.png

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Detroit Tigers

• The Tigers have some pretty classic uniforms, so the only change I made was to drop the white outline from the road jersey (I don't even really mind the white outline, but I admit it does interfere with the "classic" feel).

IUPIFyS.png 1Qy5ttA.png

• For the City Connect, I added orange as an accent color, and went with the tiger logo for the cap.

y8oIJDH.png

Removing the white outline from the road wordmark was the right choice and the hooped hose look good. I would probably go with the classic D on the jersey instead of the cap logo though.

• Like 4

On 7/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, VampyrRabbit said:

Removing the white outline from the road wordmark was the right choice and the hooped hose look good. I would probably go with the classic D on the jersey instead of the cap logo though.

I didn't like the cchange the Tigers made to unify their logos when they first made the switch, but it has since grown on me. The cap logo is much stronger & "bolder" as a logo to encompass the team's entire branding around.

4 hours ago, CLEstones said:

I'm sure 20 people have already asked, but is this template available in .PSD?

It unfortunately is not, I have the template & designs created in an .AI format.

Colorado Rockies

• I dropped black from the color scheme to simplify it to purple & silver. I also added a "snow white" alternate to be worn at home.

cot1mTN.png mrzIt0Z.png AJQT1NL.png W6gmKHX.png

• Their City Connect is one of my favorites, so I just simplified the logos to be within the overall forest green & purple color scheme.

rUgtbPq.png

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

I LOVE what you did with the Rockies here. Turning up the purple and turning down the black was definitely the right way to go. For a team that should be all about "purple mountain majesty," they look way too much like a black team with a little bit of purple rather than a purple team with a little bit of black, and you fixed that. I wouldn't have gotten rid of the black completely like you did here, but I'm not sure where I would add it. Maybe the brim of the cap or an outline here and there? Very minor either way. That "snow white" alternate is a thing of beauty, just incredibly clean. My only real critique is that the chest wordmark on the road uniform is a little hard to read with the grey text on a grey background.

I'm really excited to see what you do with the Guardians tomorrow. They might be the closest thing to a "blank canvas" that exists in MLB right now since the "Guardians" identity is so new and they borrowed so heavily from the 2010s Indians aesthetic which became extremely bland and generic with the redesign that followed the (justified) removal of Chief Wahoo. For most of these teams, it makes sense to stick with what they've already got or look to the past for inspiration, but the Guardians provide the best opportunity for something really new and different.

• Love 1

Rockies look great, removing the black was definitely addition by subtraction. May I recommend removing the outline on the road for consistency throughout?

Also, could replacing the silver/gray inside the wordmark and numbers with white help with visibility?

And what if you inverted the white and silver on the purple alt (so the outlines are darker than the wordmark/numbers on all of the uniforms)?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I LOVE what you did with the Rockies here. Turning up the purple and turning down the black was definitely the right way to go. For a team that should be all about "purple mountain majesty," they look way too much like a black team with a little bit of purple rather than a purple team with a little bit of black, and you fixed that. I wouldn't have gotten rid of the black completely like you did here, but I'm not sure where I would add it. Maybe the brim of the cap or an outline here and there? Very minor either way. That "snow white" alternate is a thing of beauty, just incredibly clean. My only real critique is that the chest wordmark on the road uniform is a little hard to read with the grey text on a grey background.

Thanks! I've personally never liked the Rockies using any black, I feel like it just muddles things up for them (unlike the Ravens, where purple & black is obviously essential for their scheme). 

23 hours ago, lilleff512 said:

I'm really excited to see what you do with the Guardians tomorrow. They might be the closest thing to a "blank canvas" that exists in MLB right now since the "Guardians" identity is so new and they borrowed so heavily from the 2010s Indians aesthetic which became extremely bland and generic with the redesign that followed the (justified) removal of Chief Wahoo. For most of these teams, it makes sense to stick with what they've already got or look to the past for inspiration, but the Guardians provide the best opportunity for something really new and different.

The Guardians won't see many major changes, as this series is mostly reserved to minor adjustments and chaanges only as needed. If I were to do a Redesigns series in the future, I would probably go something along the lines of the City Connect set full-time for them.

19 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Rockies look great, removing the black was definitely addition by subtraction. May I recommend removing the outline on the road for consistency throughout?

The home white actually has an "invisible" white outline around the home, so removing it from the away would actually lose the consistency. Plus, the white outline helps with legibility.

Also, could replacing the silver/gray inside the wordmark and numbers with white help with visibility?

That would actually hurt the legibility I'd say, as the purple & white would contrast more than purple & gray, making the individual letters harder to read.

And what if you inverted the white and silver on the purple alt (so the outlines are darker than the wordmark/numbers on all of the uniforms)?

Since the background is dark on the purple alt, it makes sense for the outer border to be lighter, to offer better contrast for the letter forms. The Rockies do this in real life, if they followed the "outlines are darker" format, the outer part of the "CR" would be purple, making it near-impossible to read on a black background.

• Like 1

Cleveland Guardians

• I went with the red-brimmed cap across the board, and added back the red undersleeves, belt, and socks accents, based on the mid-2010s Cleveland look.

bwdH0BP.png r5TI39X.png MXzPQxS.png RF29dsG.png

• For the City Connect, I went with a navy cap, with the matching font, so that the art deco bevel texture can be seen in the logo.

P7B0WoG.png

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Cincinnati Reds

• I went the traditional route, dropping black and adding a pinstripe alt. I also kept the wavy wordmark created by Twitter user @SethR94.

uWQZ5Ps.png Mso4FS7.png KeMcy3D.png OGByL11.png

• Although I don't love that their City Connect doesn't actually have any connection to the city, I don't mind how it looks aesthetically.

Kow37Xm.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2