Footy America - New Orleans Rouge 12/40

raysox

2 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I love the name, but the Yellowhammer you're using isn't the state bird of Alabama. Their actual state bird is the...Yellowhammer (Northern Flicker), a yellow-shafted subspecies of the Northern Flicker found in the Southeast United States. 

lmao well :censored:! Had no idea, will fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Toronto Nationals 7/40
I feel like I wanted to mix in more traditional looking teams, and Toronto would be a good candidate for that. I went duel blue, with a maple leaf on a T. The logo is very U of Toronto, admittedly, but I think that's a feature not a flaw. I drew a symmetrical detailed maple leaf, instead of relying on the national flag leaf, or something. The jumper has waist stripes to tie the front to the back a little more.

I went with Nationals just to lean into the idea that they would have represented the entire country at a point. Plus I thought It would be funny to name Vancouver the Expos to pair with them. 
FA-Toronto-Nationals.png
  • Like 4

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Toronto Nationals 7/40

Houston Wildcatters 8/40
TBH this was the 7th but i didn't realize I hadnt posted it! Speedrunning the South Region! Wildcatters was a proposed name for the Texans, but tied into the Oil industry and gave a chance to make a kitty cat logo. I wanted to use these colors, and Houston was a great chance to given the Astros color scheme.
FA-Houston-Wildcatters.png

• Like 6

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Houston Wildcatters 8/40

Dallas Dust Devils 9/40
I wanted another classy team, and thought of an old school team name for Dallas under the premise that I could do a D-D-D logo and nickname them the Dees. I definitely leaned into the Cowboys colors, but it was to differentiate from the other teams in TX. I used the logo big on the jumper since it was a unique shape and could provide an unique look from a distance
FA-Dallas-Dust-Devils.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Dallas Dust Devils 9/40

^^^^ that's a feature not a bug

Tennessee Bandits 10/40
This crosses off a bucket list of an identity for me. I loved the idea of a raccoon/bandit motif, with the state mammal of Tennessee being said raccoon. I drew a raccoon with a bandit mask, cowboy hat, and bandana to drive home the idea. The colors are a clear reference to the University of Tennessee, but shading more towards the Smokey Mountains themed uniforms. It would have been easy to make them Volunteer orange, but I resisted and made it an accent color. The 6 pinstripes on the jumper are a reference to the music industry in the state. 
FA-Nashville-Bandits.png

Since this was the 10th team, I wanted to make a map outlining where we're at! Expect more western expansion here soon.

Footy-America-Map.png

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Applause 1

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Tennessee Bandits 10/40
9 hours ago, neo_prankster said:

Great job so far!

Whatever you decide to call San Diego's team, I'll cheer for them!

Thanks! I have a fun idea for San Diego.

Theres still some cities that are fringe, and have changed since I exported that map. Richmond and Connecticut are going to be Cincinnati and Providence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raysox said:

Thanks! I have a fun idea for San Diego.

Theres still some cities that are fringe, and have changed since I exported that map. Richmond and Connecticut are going to be Cincinnati and Providence. 

I'd replace Providence with Montreal personally, larger market and it's rather isolated from any other teams. 

xFUdNmt.png

4 hours ago, Kooky01 said:

I'd replace Providence with Montreal personally, larger market and it's rather isolated from any other teams. 

IMO too francophone. Definitely considered it, but have a good idea for Providence that swayed me relocating the team from Connecticut. 

• Like 2

Bay Area FC 11/40
I wanted to use the name Giants with a redwood theme, which is used in the AFL and MLB, but for a  San Francisco team it was a non starter. I went with a basic name that is seen in the AFL occasionally. I used A's colors because it's phenomenal, and works well with the logo. There's a theme of 9 in this concept, which references the number of counties surrounding the Bay Area, and allowed me to be vague with the choice in home city.
FA-Bay-Area-FC.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - Bay Area FC 11/40
1 hour ago, raysox said:

Bay Area FC 11/40
I wanted to use the name Giants with a redwood theme, which is used in the AFL and MLB, but for a  San Francisco team it was a non starter. I went with a basic name that is seen in the AFL occasionally.

The colours and logo are nice, but Bay Area FC is so basic. Given the redwood theme, Sequoias would be a much more evocative name and AFAIK, no Californian team is using it, and no NorCal team is using a variation of Redwood, seems such a shame to leave it on the table.

10 hours ago, raysox said:

Bay Area FC 11/40
I wanted to use the name Giants with a redwood theme, which is used in the AFL and MLB, but for a  San Francisco team it was a non starter. I went with a basic name that is seen in the AFL occasionally. I used A's colors because it's phenomenal, and works well with the logo. There's a theme of 9 in this concept, which references the number of counties surrounding the Bay Area, and allowed me to be vague with the choice in home city.
FA-Bay-Area-FC.png

You could modify Giants to Goliaths or even Footy Giants.

Or Genies if you wanna pay homage to SF native Robin Williams?

I thought Giants, and Redwoods which is the PLL team with similar colors. I wasn't really feeling Sequoias as a team name. But I think mostly, seeing the project as a whole, I could get away with an FC team or two. Thinking it's in the same category of mixing in classier team logos with a raccoon wearing a hat.

• Like 1

New Orleans Rouge 12/40
The name is an obvious tie to the French impact on New Orleans with a simple "Red" name and Fleur inspired look. But more localized elements in reference to the Creole legend of a Rougaru, which is a cryptid swamp werewolf. The logo combines the two! The colors are taken directly from the Cleveland Cavaliers, which leads to a classy look. THe uniform has a thicker gold stripe with three Fleur de Lis in the stripe, matching the number on the flag of the city.
FA-New-Orleans-Rouge.png

• Like 6

• raysox changed the title to Footy America - New Orleans Rouge 12/40