Ben Graham to play for NY Jets

Alphabet Man

Did any other Yank or Canuck on this board read the link quadival posted?

http://gfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&s...&personid=13282

The summary is worth reading -

"Lost the captaincy at the start of the 2003 season and also lost his way for a while as the Cats struggled to come to terms with which end of the ground to play him. Bounced back to play some inspired football at times and his last-minute goal to give Geelong victory over Port Adelaide in round 14 was one of the highlights of the season for the Cats. Can be the barometer of the side and his strength in the air and long kicking make him a dangerous player. "

Such a little unflattering statement that no North American team would ever dream about putting on a team website about one of their own. Can you imagine the Yankees putting something about "a solid, but ultimately disappointing 2004 season from A-Rod that ended up a slap and an embarrasssing loss" in their bio of A-Rod? Or something that was not 100% for some NFL or NBA player?

I always enjoyed reading the English/Irish newspapers when I lived over there, the perspectives are so different from the run of the mill American newsfeeds.

Slightly off topic, but interesting anyway.

Being from Geelong the Ben Graham situation is rather funny.

The local newspaper The Geelong Advertiser mocked up a very funny digi pic of Graham's head in the #88 Jets jersey. (i'll try scan a copy of the pic)

What's been said about him signing anything though is false. He hasn't got any kind of contract with the Jets - just a verbal agreement that he'll try out for the 2005 season. My guess is he'll end up on the practice squad should he not fail too badly.

The big test is adapting to kicking an NFL ball that is not as rounded and smaller then what he is used to.

Benny can kick a Sherrin a fair distance though - with wind assistance I've seen him kick balls to within a 10m radius of 75+ metres plus and consistantly in the 50-65 metre range (don't ask me to translate that into yards! LOL)

So yes he is better than what Bennett was before he joined the NFL so it should be interesting to see how he goes. My guess is that he won't feature in the Jets team (if that's indeed where he ends up) until the 2006 season.

Benny can kick a Sherrin a fair distance though - with wind assistance I've seen him kick balls to within a 10m radius of 75+ metres plus and consistantly in the 50-65 metre range (don't ask me to translate that into yards! LOL)

1 yard is approximately 0.915m :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived