My Red Sox thoughts

stimpy

Sunday october 17th-October magic at it's peak. The best closer in the game Mariano Rivera pitching with a one run lead in the bottom of the 9th. All have seemed to crash for the Red Sox, their best pitcher had serious ankle problems and was out for maybe the entire postseason, Pedro lost a game in a sea of "who's your daddy?" signs, chants, and shirts, and they lose a 19-8 game at home to all but end the ALCS, or thats what everybody thought.

The bottom of the 9th and Mariano Rivera was pitching. I'm sure at that point many Yankee fans and Yankee players were allread boasted in their for sure World Series birth. Then came one of the biggest plays of the year, newly aquired Dave Roberts who some people think was the best trade this season stole second. Then Bill Mueller came up, last years batting champ. Many people remembered back to the July game where Mueller hit a home run to win the game in the 9th off of Mariano Rivera. A hit that will never leave my memory a fastly hit grounder up the middle right by Mariano Rivera. Roberts came around to score and the best closer in playoff history has blown a save in the ALCS.

That all but started what many people believed to be the 'impossible task.' A team coming back from a 3-0 deficite and against the New York Yankees? Sounds very improbable doesn't it? Well this team believed not only they could win they could surprise the world.

Tuesday october 19th ALCS magic. Curt Schilling after going through a very painful procedure may have found a way to pitch again. One moment in baseball history that will stick in people's minds is seeing Curt Schilling's bloody sock has he played through the pain and pitched a great game.

game seven people in Red Sox nation having the thoughts in the back of their mind 'How are they going to blow it now.' But even though that was in the back of our mind, we knew they could do it. After that Grand Slam by Johnny Damon I realized, the Yankees have died, they choked and fallen. The Red Sox will be in the world series.

Game one of the World series, everyone wondering what will happen in one of the most anticipated World Series of all time. Everybody expecting a hard fought 7 games where the Curse would come in and teh Red Sox would choke. Except Red

Sox nation. They knew after all that went on this holywood like year, this WAS the year. They couldn't be beat and they were on fire. Game one showed Mark Bellhorn, the man of critisism many times over the year be the hero again. The game was hard played and everybody's 7 game prediction seemed very likely.

Wensday october 27th 2004 'Did this actually happen?' Yes the man everybody wanted to see traded at the deadline pitched another amazing game. Derek lowe shut down all the dangerous Cardinal hitters. Bottom of the 8th it hit me, this actually might happen. Bottom of the 9th Keith foulke who hasn't let up a ER all postseason was pitching with a three run lead. Was the curse actually dead? Two outs and the pitch to Edgar Renteria. He grounded back to Foulke. It seemed Foulke had the ball for hours. The Red Sox are world series champions. I think it's unreal everytime I say it. "Red Sox fans have long to hear it, the Red Sox are world Champions!" All I could do is sit there and say 'Did this actually happen?' It really hit me when the Olympia Sports commerical came on. Manny dreaming to be the World series MVP. It has happined. "If this is a dream, don't wake us up."

After the World series you have to think of the offseason. so many free agents. Who will the Yankees pick up this year? Many Red Sox fans are hoping the Red Sox don't end up the the 97 marlins.

It seems like some kind of movie don't it? Personally I can't wait for the sequel to last years 'Red Sox movie' which they were suposidlly filming this year too. Also the world series posted a perfect real ending to the Farley brothers new movie. All and all many Red Sox fans are still amazed that it actually happined. so we all ask the question, 'Now what do we do?' Will Red Sox fans still be considered some of the best fans in the world now that the curse is broken? They still have passion but after the Red sox won the world series there will be so many more 'bandwagoners.' Are the Red Sox still that loveble fun team or are they 'just another team' now? I guess we will just have to wait and find out. Enjoy the Championship Boston, and get those '2000' signs ready.

Very nice, very nice.

The Curt Schilling story is one that will be told for many, many years. What he did was about as courageous as you can get in the sports world, to do what he did in the ALCS and the World Series.

There was a tremendous amount of great stories on that team including Johnny Damon who struggled the entire series, and then hit the Grand Slam that gave the Red Sox a 6-0 lead in the ALCS and actually gave the fans the feeling that it could actually happen. Mark Bellhorn who struggled early on in the ALCS and hit that huge HR that stood as the difference in game 6, had numerous big hits in the World Series, and then had a hugely important HR in game 1 that won that game because I had kinda thought that the Cardinals needed game 1 to win that Series.

I think I read somewhere that they're changing the ending to the Jimmy Fallon movie.

IUe6Hvh.png

Exquisite text!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

The stuff about Schilling bleeding TWICE: he had guts and A PAIR OF TRUE RED SOX (each one for a vital win: ALCS Game 6 and WS Game 2).

That is how I'll begin to tell my personal testimony about a wonderful Red Sox October to my future descendance:

"My son, once I saw Curt Schilling earning literally his own Red Sox..."

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I knew when the Yankees brought in Rivera in game 4 that the Sox were going to beat him. I don't know why, just one of those gut feelings that something big was about to happen. I guess I just went along with the one game at a time theory that they were preaching, but I always thought at the start of a game that they could win. After they won game 5, I knew the series was over. It was still nervous, but I just knew that the Yankees had been defeated. The look in their eyes was the same look that the Sox had in '86 and last year after Aaron Boone's HR. And after game 1, I never even considered that St. Louis had a chance.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived