Doug Ault Dead

CC97

Dout Ault, who hit two home runs for the Blue Jays in their first ever game on April 7 1977, died yesterday at 51. Naturally because of that feat he was a legend in Blue Jays history.

I had a chance to meet Doug in April 2001, but someone I was travelling with made us miss the train so he could have a cigarette.

Not too many men can say they hit the first two home runs in a franchise's history.

Aultb_175x250.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Wow! First Cerutti, not Doug Ault. Not a good year for ex-Jays this year.

Don't forget former Jays manager Bobby Mattick (who was an employee of the club from 1976 until his death).

Sounds like a good design contest... come up with a triple-memorial patch for the Jays in 2005

---

Chris Creamer

Don't forget former Jays manager Bobby Mattick (who was an employee of the club from 1976 until his death).

Sounds like a good design contest... come up with a triple-memorial patch for the Jays in 2005

Ah yes, Mattick. Forgot about that. thanks. I'd like to see a memorial patch as well.

I saw, I came, I left.

Wow sports heros seem to be dying all of a sudden. i never heard of them mostly because I wasnt alive in 1977, and considering I follow the Reds more than Blue Jays, but this is obviously a historic loss for the Jays.

Signature intentionally left blank

It's the Curse of the Ex-Jays, I tells ya!

Next thing, you're gonna tell me that Dan Blocker, Michael Landon and Lorne Greene from "Bonanza" are dead...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Next thing, you're gonna tell me that Dan Blocker, Michael Landon and Lorne Greene from "Bonanza" are dead...

I don't know how to break it to you

---

Chris Creamer

I don't know how to break it to you

Awww, Jiminy Crickets! There goes my script for the reunion special...plus the spinoffs..."Bonanza Meets the Harlem Globetrotters," "Everybody Loves Little Joe," and "Cartwright, MD."

Fiddlesticks and foofurah. Now I have to concentrate on my sitcom about the evil robot driving instructor...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Yup it's suicide, shot himself in the head.

Ault's death ruled a suicide

Doug Ault died Dec. 22 at 54 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at his Tarpon Springs home. (CP /Frank Gunn, file)

CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) - The death of former Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Doug Ault was ruled a suicide, the medical examiner said Tuesday.

Ault died Dec. 22 at 54 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head at his Tarpon Springs home. The team confirmed his death Monday.

Tarpon Springs police had suspected Ault's death was a suicide, Sgt. Jeff Young said. The police declined to elaborate, citing the pending investigation.

Ault became part of Blue Jays lore when he hit two home runs in the first game of the expansion team's history. With a snow storm in Toronto and a cold wind blowing off Lake Ontario, he homered twice off Ken Brett in the Blue Jays' 9-4 victory over the Chicago White Sox at Exhibition Stadium on April 7, 1977.

Ault hit only 17 homers during his four years in the majors. His career average was .236 in 256 games.

He was selected by Toronto in the 1976 expansion draft from the Texas Rangers and spent three seasons with the Blue Jays before retiring in 1980. He also worked as a manager in the Jays' organization, handling teams at Class-A Dunedin, Kingston and St. Catharines before managing the triple-A Syracuse Chiefs.

---

Chris Creamer

Archived