Usfl official pantone colors

TruColor

I've recently come across some additional USFL Pantones, and I thought I'd post a .PDF of what I have so far to see if there's anyone out there who might be able to help me fill in the gaps.  Since the league is long-gone, I don't see the harm in posting the Pantones on a public forum...(famous last words)...

A couple notes:

1. For those of you who haven't seen these reports of mine before, anytime you see a Pantone value with a checkmark next to it means that I've made a guess as to the actual color.  Pantones (or other color set values) WITHOUT checkmarks mean that I've confirmed the color.  It's legit.

2. The Chicago Blitz used a different color set for two of their colors (the Red and the Blue).  They used the Handschy System, and I haven't been able to verify actual RGB or CMYK values for these colors.  What you see, and what RGBs and CMYKs are just estimated.

3. Apparently, the Jacksonville Bulls used a custom mix of Pantone colors for their Orange.  I've just used 172 C to approximate it.

4. The New Jersey Generals had an alternate logo - I've shown the Pantones here, although I just barely remember this logo.  I THINK it was some sort of cartoon figure, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy the file, and if you (or you know of anyone) can help with some of my estimates, I would be eternally grateful (!).

USFL Team Colors

I've submitted an online question to Pantone (the company, not myself!) in order to come up with an actual color for the Jacksonville Bulls' Burnt Orange.  According to the print sheet posted on ThisIsTheUSFL, the color breaks down like this:

13 parts Warm Red

1 part Rubine Red

2 parts Basic Yellow

I'll keep you updated...

One change as the result of this ongoing research...

The Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers color descriptions have always been somewhat of a mystery to me.  Back in the '80s, I had a n.umber of phone conversations with various front office staff members attempting to get accurate descriptions of their colors.  Most of the publications at the time listed the Breakers' colors as "Breaker Blue, Silver and White".  Well, the Breakers had TWO different shades of Blue and Silver.  So, I was told a number of times that "Breaker Blue" was actually the DARKER shade of Blue that was used in the uniforms as a trim color.  The PRIMARY Blue color apparently didn't have an official name.  Which makes NO sense.  I finally got a description of "Ocean Blue" out of someone - back then, I didn't collect Pantone colors; I was just interested in the official color listings.  Since the advent of the internet, I have supplied a number of USFL-related sites with the official colors, and most of them use the listing "Ocean Blue, Breaker Blue, Silver and White".  That's why you see them listed this way; it's my doing (!).

With the discovery of the ThisIsTheUSFL.com site, and the color specification file for the Breakers posted there, I now have all of the official Breakers Pantones.  And, it turns out that the darker Blue was actually lighter than I originally thought.  I also went back to my Sporting News USFL Guide & Registers, and in 1985, the Breakers listed their colors as "Breaker Blue, Royal Blue, Silver and White".  This now makes sense to me.  The Breaker Blue WAS the lighter Blue, while Royal Blue was the trim color.  So, I've changed my listings, and all of the internet sites referring to "Ocean Blue, Breaker Blue, Silver and White" are now WRONG.

Also thanks to me.

???

• 4 weeks later...
I finally got a description of "Ocean Blue" out of someone - back then, I didn't collect Pantone colors; I was just interested in the official color listings. Since the advent of the internet, I have supplied a number of USFL-related sites with the official colors, and most of them use the listing "Ocean Blue, Breaker Blue, Silver and White". That's why you see them listed this way; it's my doing (!).

So, I've changed my listings, and all of the internet sites referring to "Ocean Blue, Breaker Blue, Silver and White" are now WRONG.

Also thanks to me.

???

Although I can't help any regarding the color confusion, I want to say thanks for this little chuckle!

It's where I sit.

I wanted to provide an update...

I'm starting to get some new information on this stuff.  Someone out there has a BUNCH of official USFL Paint Spec sheets.  He's supposed to scan what he has (when he has time), but he sent me some new color values via email last night.

I'm finding that more and more teams used custom color mixes for their official colors.  Not only did Jacksonville use a custom color mix for their Burnt Orange, but other teams did as well.  For example, the Houston Gamblers' Red is custom, as well as the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars' Crimson.  However, check THIS crap out - these take the cake:

Birmingham Stallions Red:

Special Mix - Red - FS1714

36% 2B Red

25% AOA Yellow - YQ1208

1.8% Mix in Black

100% Varnish

Birmingham Stallions Gold:

Special Mix - Gold/Tan

9.4% of Yellow - YQ1497

1.35% of Red Lake C - RCQ1589

13% of Aluminum Paste

18.5 % of Pale Gold

10% of Moly Orange - 580F637

58% Metallic Varnish

This makes me want to cry; what IS this garbage?  Why, why why?

I'm actually going to contact a graphics/printing company that my wife and I work with, and see how hard (and expensive) it would be to mix these custom colors and determine accurate CMYK/RGB values for them.  It would be nice to determine a standard color for these customs for reproducing their colors in the future.

Oh...and I've updated the .PDF file linked at the beginning of the thread.  I've just put in bogus color swatches to represent these custom colors.

I wanted to provide an update...

I'm starting to get some new information on this stuff. Someone out there has a BUNCH of official USFL Paint Spec sheets. He's supposed to scan what he has (when he has time), but he sent me some new color values via email last night.

I'm finding that more and more teams used custom color mixes for their official colors. Not only did Jacksonville use a custom color mix for their Burnt Orange, but other teams did as well. For example, the Houston Gamblers' Red is custom, as well as the Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars' Crimson. However, check THIS crap out - these take the cake:

Birmingham Stallions Red:

Special Mix - Red - FS1714

36% 2B Red

25% AOA Yellow - YQ1208

1.8% Mix in Black

100% Varnish

Birmingham Stallions Gold:

Special Mix - Gold/Tan

9.4% of Yellow - YQ1497

1.35% of Red Lake C - RCQ1589

13% of Aluminum Paste

18.5 % of Pale Gold

10% of Moly Orange - 580F637

58% Metallic Varnish

This makes me want to cry; what IS this garbage? Why, why why?

I'm actually going to contact a graphics/printing company that my wife and I work with, and see how hard (and expensive) it would be to mix these custom colors and determine accurate CMYK/RGB values for them. It would be nice to determine a standard color for these customs for reproducing their colors in the future.

Oh...and I've updated the .PDF file linked at the beginning of the thread. I've just put in bogus color swatches to represent these custom colors.

So the documents I have originating from the league's front office itself, are incorrect?   ???  ???  ???   This is weird...

nav-logo.png

Which ones seem wrong to you?  The only discrepency I've really seen so far is the Stars' Crimson.  You had the Pantones as Red 206 C and Yellow 123 C.  These paint specs have the Crimson as a MIX of 206 and 123, with Metallic Gold 873 C.

You have provided me with some great stuff in the past - do ya gots more?

:P

I'm working with a local graphics company on these colors, and have come up with what I think is a definitive color definition for the Jacksonville Bulls' Burnt Orange.

Here's a screen capture from my Color Values database that shows everything I've got for the color:

JaxBullsBurntOrange.jpg

This screen-shot also shows how I store color information.  If any of you care enough in order to ask some questions, let me know.

???

Another update...my contact at the graphics/printing company is going to help determine the approximate Pantones for these goofy Birmingham Stallions colors.

He's doing this for free as well...too cool...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

With permission from Tom Hefner - the supplier - and the "This is the USFL" site, I have created a "USFL Paint Specs" page on SSUR.org.

USFL Paint Specs Page

I have listed all of the team colors in the "old" format - no .PDFs - and listed the Pantones as well. The page also has links to the paint spec .JPEGs. The "This is the USFL" site has these posted as well, but I'm trying to organize this stuff in a way that will be easy to use for research.

The guy helping me out with these colors sent me this update today:

"OK, we've got some progress. Some of the colors listed go back to the raw materials stage of mixing ink colors. The colors you listed are most probably a Flush (a very thick liquid that is one step above the pigment powder in the processing chain).

What we're trying to do is get hold of either an equivalency chart, or get a list of colors as they are used in PMS colors so that we can find equivalent PMS values to use. There are PMS colors that are built from just using 1 pigment so that might work out well.

My ink guy is talking to his Chemist who is in turn talking to his pigment supplier and both are looking to see what they can find that is an actual 'reference document' of sorts to ease this process."

I have no idea what this all means, but I appreciate his help...

:P

Archived