Duplicate - Lehigh Valley Outlawz

PhillyPlayer

Theres capitalism for ya....

stingy bastards....I charge em as much as I can. Milk em for all their worth. ahhhhhh. But I agree that doing business on the personal side is much better than allowing competition to view a proposal and possibly outbidding yours. Unless you set up a secure network of Artists that work all together for the benifit of a cause and everyone gets a piece of the pie....but then the pie gets thin. And alliences are formed....and hackers...and...oh the earthly ways....

EDIT: I hope the clients are looking at this....HA HA

iDonovan,

I agree on the fee amount of these contests too.

I redesigned an identity for a hockey team and the first home game saw sales of replica jerseys of around 400 pieces during the first intermission alone. At $80 dollars a pop you get the idea of the kind of money that is generated via merchandise sales alone over the year.

A professional organization should be willing to pay the designer a fair price for the work. I think the reason you so so many horrible sports designs is that the organizations are trying to get by on the cheap. Thus the mediocre designs.

I'm not a designer or a business person so I don't know if this is practical, but wouldn't it be fair to get a % of sales resulting from your logo? A one-time fee and they can sell as much merchandise as they like and your result doesn't change. But if you get a cut of revenue, much like royalties everytime a song is played, I think your work would be better compensated.

iDonovan,

I agree on the fee amount of these contests too.

I redesigned an identity for a hockey team and the first home game saw sales of replica jerseys of around 400 pieces during the first intermission alone. At $80 dollars a pop you get the idea of the kind of money that is generated via merchandise sales alone over the year.

A professional organization should be willing to pay the designer a fair price for the work. I think the reason you so so many horrible sports designs is that the organizations are trying to get by on the cheap. Thus the mediocre designs.

I'm not a designer or a business person so I don't know if this is practical, but wouldn't it be fair to get a % of sales resulting from your logo? A one-time fee and they can sell as much merchandise as they look and your result doesn't change. But if you get a cut of revenue, much like royalties everytime a song is played, I think your work would be better compensated.

In theory, yes, that would be best. However, in standard deals, you sell them a logo package, which then becomes their property, meaning you have no further rights or claims to that identity.

I have worked it both ways, depends on you as a designer and if your firms are actually manufacturing the item or not. Freelance is a different story. Freelance identity artists most always sell the rights for merchandising. For a freelance designer, its quite a pain keeping up with all the licencing crap associated with percentages, accounting, and legal issues. Sell the Logos, and move on to the next project.

As a "graphic" consumer, I am willing to pay for a graphic designer's services.

I like the communication part. As Ben Barnes was developing the Blue Jays logos, my input as well as everyones, was important to the development of the project.

He is charging me a fair price, but I will be happy to pay a fair price for his "TALENT".

I like the idea of our "CC Boards" design competition, as many of our graphic warriors have come up with some very cool stuff, but that really stays here in our own little family.

Though I am not in the "graphic profession" , I say Bravo to Nitro's comments.

The communication part, between client and artist is very important. The client needs to know what his target is and how the logo will best represent the company.

Keep up the good work everyone - I love your work!!! :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Just wondering if anyone was still working on any designs .. I have gotten a few emails but no drafts as of yet ... I hope that the talk of just paying someone to design the indenty hasnt scared away the designers who love what they do and are sure that their work is so good that I would have to be an idiot to not use it.

FRG

Hello all ... well the "contest" is officially over ... I have received some great designs ... I am allowing an extra day for those who had some ideas and havent sent them in yet ... i currently have 4 entries and they all look great I will foward them to our webmaster and they will be posted on our website by Wednesday www.lehighvalleyoutlawz.com for everyone to vote on them ... good luck to all the entered.

FRG

be sure to post the logos.....I am dying to see what $300.00 US bucks gets ya these days....hell, it would have be cheaper to buy some clip art and use that.....hopefully it is better than teams like the Fayettville Fire or the Lakeland Thunderbolts,where design is not really a issue.........one more thing,nitro,keep fighting the good fight

Archived