Is this McGwire contoversy right?

managerian

I hate when people say well it wasn't illegal in mlb at the time. Yes, but it was illegal in the US, which makes it illegal in mlb. There is no mlb rule that says you can't bring a gun to the plate and shoot the pitcher but I bet if you did you would get banned. And as far as they haven't been convicted so they can;t be punished, how about the Black Sox they were aquitted and still banned, also at that time there was no rule that you couldn't throw the games or gamble. Or how about more recently when Will Cordero was suspended when he was arrested of beating his wife, he hadn't been convicted yet but still MLB suspended him. Precedent shows MLB can take whatever action it seems fit.

As far as McGwire, I have suspected him before the book. Like I said before I say a picture of him from this past year and he was as then as a rail, like Giambi was after he stopped taking roids. The book only adds to what I thought.

Gun to the plate analogy is ridiculous.

Marijuana, coke, and heroin are all illegal. Should everyone who pops be banned and turned over to the police?

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Bonds admitted to taking steriods under oath guys. Bonds also said he didn't know they were steroids (believe him if you want), but he admitted to taking drugs that have now been found to be illegal.

He took them.

Bonds had more evidence against him anyways. His numbers jumped, his body mass jumped at the same rate, his cheeks got puffy. Plus there is all the BALCO stuff.

Mac always had big numbers, and he's always been huge. His rate of growth to his enormous size was gradual and not unordinary. His enitre familyis huge. His dad was huge. One brother was a football player, the other a body-builder (though he took steroids to get there, so that hurts McGwire's case as much as it helps him), and his son Matt at age 10 was a giant. His injuries were typical of all athletes, not the type of injuries doctors think are prominent speciically in steroid user.

And how about this? McGwire hit 49 homers his rookie season of 1987 and had a slugging percentage of .618. Canseco said he injected him in 1988 and that McGwire was an example of how steroids make one a better player. Then how does he explain these stats: 1988: 32/.478, 1989: 33/.467, 1990: 39/.489, and 1991: 22/.383.

If he took 'em, they didn't help him.

As for andro, he admitted taking that. It was legal and is not the same as the steroids that have players in trouble right now. Not even close.

Oh, and of course McGwire is gonna slim down. He stopped playing. He retired. Stopping working out would have the same effect as stopping taking steroids. You can use the fact that Giambi slimmed down against him because he's still playing ball, still working out. McGwire retired. I don't doubt he works out, but I have little doubt that it's not even close to the vigorous workout he put himself through while he was playing.

While you raised good arguments, not only can they also be used for Barry Bonds, but I don't like the 'Well, there's more evidence pointing to this guy' defense to defend someone.

Andro is still classified as a steroid. I believe it meets atleast 2 of the 3 things the government uses to classify whether or not somehting is a steroid. So yes, McGwire admitted to knowingly taking steroids.

You and everyone else are acting like Barry Bonds blew up over night, while he didn't. Yeah, he was a lot scrawnier as a rookie with the Pirates, but weight lifting in baseball didn't really become prominent until the late 80's/early 90's. Until then, it was thought to do more harm, than good. He's also considered to be one of, if not THE, hardest working players in baseball. If you work hard over the span of 19 years, of course you're going to get bigger, it's common sense.

Bonds wasn't a huge guy in 1993 when he led the league in HR's -- and won MVP awards well before ever getting really big. And injuries? McGwire had gotten injuries, while you said they're not associated with steroid injuries -- Barry Bonds doesn't get major injuries. He's only had 3 seasons in which he played less than 130 games, one of them being his rookie season. He has also consistently played over 145 games per season in his career.

You say there's more evidence against Bonds? What evidence against Bonds is nearly as bad as McGwire admitting that he knowingly took Andro -- a steroid?

IUe6Hvh.png

Androstenedione: A pivotal adrenal steroid that is a precursor to testosterone and other androgens. Known popularly as andro. Has been used as a supplement to increase muscle strength. Taking andro raises testosterone levels above normal. Side effects include acne, male baldness, and a decrease in "good" cholesterol, which may predispose to cardiovascular disease.

semperfi.gif

That's right, that's what Andro is. But I was still correct when I said it was not the same thing as the steroids that are in question right now. Not even close. Not the same effects. Andro helps you recover from a workout faster. McGwire was constantly working out. The Andro allowed him to do that more. It didn't do the work for him.

And, it was not illegal. Not in baseball, not in the country.

Bonds admitted to using the BALCO steroids even if unknowingly. Thus, there is more evidence to suggest he took the stronger steroids that are in question.

If Andro was considered to be like these other steriods, then Canseco's book wouldn't have meant anything. It's a big deal because he accuses McGwire of taking these other steriods.

Barry got a lot bigger in between 1999 and 2001. A lot. And his power numbers jumped at the same time.

As for injuries, I was simply trying to disprove the people who say Mac got hurt so it's more evidence for him to be on 'roids. Your right, Barry hasn't had the injuries. I'm not so convinced that steriods cause injuries, but I have read that they come once the player is off of steriods, so we'll wait and see with Barry.

I wasn't trying to defend Mac with Barry, but people have already thrown Barry into this discussion. I can't figure why people defend Barry when he admitted to taking illegal steriods.

This all reminds me of a former Presidents press conference:

McGwire: "I did not have steroidal relations with that player,...Jose Canseco."

semperfi.gif

No where does Bonds ever admit to anything. He denies everything. Why doesn't he get the same benfit of doubt that McGwire gets?

Because he's black and Mac is white?(I'm talking about the press not board member)

Because he's an a$$ and Mac isn't?

Because he has 7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves to Mac's Rookieof the Year and 1 Gold Glove? All of which, except his recent 4 MVP's, came for his body "explosion" .

Because it's easier to think a guy cheated, than believe he worked hard? Everything you hear about Bonds is how he works out all the time, just like Mac did.

Because Mac is a family guy and Barry's not? Mac Greated his son at home and Barry complain about child support.

What Bonds told BALCO grand jury

- Lance Williams, Mark Fainaru-Wada, Chronicle Staff Writers

Friday, December 3, 2004

Barry Bonds told a federal grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream supplied by the Burlingame laboratory now enmeshed in a sports doping scandal, but he said he never thought they were steroids, The Chronicle has learned.

Federal prosecutors charge that the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative, known as BALCO, distributed undetectable steroids to elite athletes in the form of a clear substance that was taken orally and a cream that was rubbed onto the body.

Bonds testified that he had received and used clear and cream substances from his personal strength trainer, Greg Anderson, during the 2003 baseball season but was told they were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis, according to a transcript of his testimony reviewed by The Chronicle.

Federal prosecutors confronted Bonds during his testimony on Dec. 4, 2003, with documents indicating he had used steroids and human growth hormone during a three-year assault on baseball's home run record, but the Giants star denied the allegations.

During the three-hour proceeding, two prosecutors presented Bonds with documents that allegedly detailed his use of a long list of drugs: human growth hormone, Depo-Testosterone, undetectable steroids known as "the cream" and "the clear," insulin and Clomid, a drug for female infertility sometimes used to enhance the effect of testosterone.

The documents, many with Bonds' name on them, are dated from 2001 through 2003. They include a laboratory test result that could reflect steroid use and what appeared to be schedules of drug use with billing information, prosecutors told the grand jury.

In a September 2003 raid on Anderson's Burlingame home, federal investigators seized documents they said showed Bonds was using banned drugs, according to court records. Anderson was indicted in February on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to distribute steroids in the BALCO case.

Bonds' attorney, Michael Rains, said he was upset, though not entirely surprised, his client's secret testimony had been revealed. He said he had no proof but suspected the government was the source of the leak, insisting it had been out to get Bonds from the beginning.

"My view has always been this case has been the U.S. vs. Bonds, and I think the government has moved in certain ways in a concerted effort to indict my client," Rains said. "And I think their failure to indict him has resulted in their attempts to smear him publicly."

Attorney Anna Ling, who along with J. Tony Serra represents Anderson, said a court order precluded her from commenting on grand jury testimony.

"But it's been our position from day one that Mr. Anderson did not knowingly do anything illegal," Ling said. "If he had, he wouldn't have ever been involved. He did not knowingly provide any illegal substances to anyone."

According to the transcript, two prosecutors queried Bonds closely about the documents, at times going over them line by line while peppering him with questions.

But Bonds said he had no knowledge of the doping calendars and other records that indicated he had used banned drugs. He said he had never paid Anderson for steroids and had never knowingly used them.

And he said he was confident that his trainer hadn't slipped him banned drugs without his knowledge, saying Anderson "wouldn't jeopardize our friendship" by doing that.

"Greg and I are friends," Bonds told the grand jury. "I never paid Greg for anything. ... You're going to bring up documents and more documents. I have never seen anything written by Greg Anderson on a piece of paper."

Bonds testified he had never discussed steroids with his trainer -- not even after federal agents kicked in Anderson's door to serve their search warrant. That was out of respect for Anderson's privacy, Bonds said.

To the prosecutors, the substances Bonds said he was using sounded like "the cream" and "the clear," two steroids designed to be undetectable in laboratory testing that Victor Conte, founder of BALCO, is accused of marketing to elite athletes, sometimes with Anderson as middleman.

Bonds said that as far as he knew, Anderson had given him only legal products to treat the arthritis and fatigue that afflicted him, especially when playing a day game after a night game. The trainer brought the products into the Giants' clubhouse at Pac Bell Park "once a homestand," Bonds said, and that's where he used them.

"I never asked Greg" about what the products contained, Bonds testified. "When he said it was flaxseed oil, I just said, 'Whatever.'

"It was in the ballpark ... in front of everybody. I mean, all the reporters, my teammates. I mean, they all saw it. I didn't hide it."

The transcript shows that before he testified, Bonds was told he would not be prosecuted for any crimes he admitted as long as he told the truth to the grand jury. But if he lied under oath, the prosecutors warned, he could face prosecution for perjury. It is illegal to obtain steroids and human growth hormone without a doctor's prescription.

Faced with the same warning and similar evidence, five other baseball players who were summoned to San Francisco to testify last year confessed to the grand jury that they had used performance-enhancing drugs provided by Anderson.

One week after Bonds testified, New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi and his brother Jeremy, both former Oakland A's, described in detail how they had injected themselves with performance-enhancing drugs. The Giambis testified they were drawn to Anderson because of Bonds' success.

Other players who admitted their use of performance-enhancing drugs were former Giants Armando Rios, Benito Santiago and Bobby Estalella. The players said they had come to know Anderson because he was Bonds' trainer.

A sixth witness, Yankees outfielder Gary Sheffield, testified that while he trained with Bonds in the Bay Area before the 2002 baseball season, Bonds had arranged for him to receive "the cream," "the clear" and "red beans," which the prosecutors identified as steroid pills manufactured in Mexico.

Sheffield said he had never been told that the substances were steroids. Bonds also was using "the cream" and "the clear," Sheffield said.

"Nothing was between me and Greg," Sheffield testified. "Barry pretty much controlled everything. ... It was basically Barry (saying), 'Trust me. Do what I do.'

"... I know I've seen Greg give Barry the same thing I was taking. I didn't see him taking those red beans, but I seen him taking this (clear) and this cream here."

Attorneys for Sheffield and Santiago expressed dismay that the secrecy of the grand jury had been violated.

Santiago's attorney, David Cornwell, also said, "If any performance- enhancing drugs were ingested, they were ingested unknowingly."

Rios' attorney, Chris Cannon, dismissed the report as "ancient history."

Estalella could not be reached for comment.

Since the BALCO scandal erupted, Bonds has insisted he never used banned drugs. But in statements they later denied making, both Conte and BALCO Vice President James Valente, also indicted, told investigators that Anderson was supplying steroids to Bonds, court records show.

In addition, The Chronicle has reported that in a secretly recorded conversation, Anderson said Bonds had used an "undetectable" performance- enhancing drug during the 2003 season.

Bonds hit 73 home runs in 2001, breaking one of baseball's most storied records. He hit his 703rd home run this past season and is expected to pass Babe Ruth's mark of 714 next year, then zero in on Hank Aaron's all-time record of 755 in 2006. Last month, at age 40, Bonds won his fourth consecutive National League Most Valuable Player award and the seventh of his career, more than any other player.

Anderson has been Bonds' trainer throughout his assault on the home run record. In a ceremony at Pac Bell Park in 2001 after he broke Mark McGwire's record for home runs in a season, Bonds publicly thanked Anderson for his help.

In his grand jury testimony, Bonds described Anderson as a boyhood friend with whom he reconnected in 1998, when Anderson was working as a personal trainer on the Peninsula.

"Greg is a weightlifting trainer," Bonds said. "And we're friends, grew up together. (I) go over there and see what he does. I liked his philosophy, and we started working out together."

Soon, Bonds said, he decided to bring on Anderson to replace Raymond Farris, who at the time was supervising his workouts.

"I was getting rugged with my other trainer, you know, doing the same thing over and over," Bonds said. "... My other trainer was like, you do three sets of legs, three sets of this, three -- you know.

"And Greg is more -- 16 sets of chest, more biceps, to really maximize and expand your muscle. And I liked that philosophy."

The ballplayer and the trainer began working out at a gym near BALCO, Bonds said. He said Anderson had also begun providing him with "vitamin and protein shakes."

In 2000 or 2001, Bonds said, Anderson persuaded him to undergo blood and urine testing at BALCO as part of a program touted by Conte to market his legal nutritional supplement, ZMA. Bonds said he already was interested in nutrition issues, testifying that he employed both a cook and a "nutritionist at Stanford."

Anderson "wanted to do a blood test to try to regulate your levels, if you're lacking in zinc or magnesium," Bonds said. "... The blood test at BALCO was just the thing to figure out what you're deficient in. ... I just thought it was a neat idea."

Bonds said he had his personal doctor come to his house and draw the blood for the testing.

Eventually, he said, Anderson began providing him with an array of supplements: "multivitamin to vitamin E to omega 3s to, you know, ZMA - the ZMA that BALCO had - to liver pills to oxygen ...

"But I had no doubt what he was giving me, because we were friends."

Bonds said he had met Conte, BALCO's president, two or three times but never paid for the nutritional supplements.

Instead, he said, he "did an ad" for BALCO in a muscle magazine, a reference to a photo shoot and feature in Muscle & Fitness that quoted Bonds effusively endorsing Conte's ZMA nutritional supplement product.

Bonds said he had begun using the cream and the clear substance at a time when he was aching with arthritis and was distraught over the terminal illness of his father, former Giants All-Star Bobby Bonds, who died Aug. 23, 2003.

"I have bad arthritis. I've played 18 years, bad knees, surgeries and so on," Bonds testified, adding that he wanted a product that would "take the arthritis pain away that I feel in the mornings when it's super cold ...

"I was battling with the problems with my father and the -- just the lack of sleep, lack of everything."

But Bonds said he got little help from Anderson's products.

"And I was like, to me, it didn't even work," he told the grand jury. "You know me, I'm 39 years old. I'm dealing with pain. All I want is the pain relief, you know? And you know, to recover, you know, night games to day games. That's it.

"And I didn't think the stuff worked. I was like, 'Dude, whatever,' but he's my friend."

Eventually, Bonds said he had stopped using the products, telling the grand jury, "If it's a steroid, it's not working." Bonds insisted he had never paid Anderson for drugs or supplements, but he acknowledged paying him $15,000 in 2003 for weight training.

"I paid him in cash," Bonds said. "I make $17 million."

In answers that sometimes rambled, Bonds sought to vouch for his trainer as a good and honest person who would never traffic in illegal drugs.

"Greg is a good guy, you know, this kid is a great kid. He has a child," Bonds said. At another point, he told the grand jury:

"Greg has nothing, man. ... Guy lives in his car half the time. He lives with his girlfriend, rents a room so he can be with his kid, you know?

"... This is the same guy that goes over to our friend's mom's house and massages her leg because she has cancer, and she swells up every night for months. Spends time next to my dad, rubbing his feet every night."

Bonds told the grand jurors that he had given Anderson a $20,000 bonus and bought him a ring after the 73-home run season. He also bought the trainer a ring to commemorate the Giants' 2002 World Series appearance. When a juror asked why the wealthy ballplayer hadn't bought "a mansion" for his trainer to live in, Bonds answered:

"One, I'm black, and I'm keeping my money. And there's not too many rich black people in this world. There's more wealthy Asian people and Caucasian and white. And I ain't giving my money up."

Prosecutor Jeff Nedrow pressed Bonds about the clear liquid Anderson provided.

"Did he ever tell you it was a molecularly or chemically altered steroid? Did Greg ever tell you anything like that?"

"No, because my other trainer, who is 50 years old, Harvey, was taking the same stuff," Bonds replied. "And he said it's flaxseed oil."

Tim Montgomery, a world-class sprinter, had earlier told the grand jury that Conte used flaxseed oil containers when sending "the clear" to athletes at overseas track meets.

For much of Bonds' testimony, Nedrow and Assistant U.S. Attorney Ross Nadel methodically questioned him about documents and evidence seized in the probe. Bonds said he had few insights.

The prosecutors queried Bonds about calendars -- taken in a raid on Anderson's home -- that contained his name and notes about performance- enhancing drugs. He replied, "I've never had a calendar with him, never had anything."

Bonds said he couldn't explain a calendar page with the name "Barry" on it, nor a note indicating an invoice of $450 for blood tests.

Likewise, Bonds said he couldn't translate a document that had the notation "! G !" along with "one box off season" and "two box season, $1,500."

The prosecutors thought it referred to Bonds' payments for boxes of human growth hormone, but Bonds said, "I don't know what G is."

Asked about a reference to a $450 payment for a bottle of the injectable steroid Depo-Testosterone, Bonds replied, "I have never seen this bottle or any bottle pertaining that says Depo-Testosterone." He also denied ever injecting himself with any drug.

Other documents suggested Bonds was using Clomid, the fertility drug that enhances the effect of testosterone; modafinil, an anti-narcolepsy drug used as a stimulant; and the steroid trenbolone.

"I've never heard of it," Bonds replied to questions about each drug.

Asked about the endurance-boosting agent known as EPO, Bonds said, "I couldn't even pronounce it."

Queried about insulin, which also can have a steroid-like effect, Bonds said, "Insulin? I'm not a diabetic."

Bonds also was quizzed about a document that said, "Barry 12-2-02, T, 1 cc G - pee."

A prosecutor asked, "Does that correspond to you getting, you know, growth hormones or testosterone or giving a urine test or anything of those things that you can recall from Mr. Anderson."

"T could mean anything," Bonds replied. "G could mean anything. And pee could probably mean anything."

Bonds said he had no knowledge of paperwork indicating that starting in 2001, BALCO had been screening his blood not just for nutritional deficiencies but for steroids.

"Do you know why BALCO would have been testing for your testosterone level?" he was asked.

"I have no idea," Bonds replied.

"Do you know why your testosterone level would have been -- according to the report -- higher than the level, the normal range indicated for males 29 to 49 years old?"

"I don't understand this piece of paper," Bonds replied.

Elevated testosterone levels can indicate steroid use, according to medical experts.

Rains, Bonds' attorney, said every other athlete called to testify in the case had been provided the opportunity to study the documents beforehand to assist the government in making its case; but Rains said the prosecutors had backed out on a similar deal with Bonds.

"That shows you what the government's attempt was and what their effort was," Rains said. "But it didn't work. One, because Barry testified truthfully, and they know it. And two, because the documents they showed him are so fraught with irregularities of unproven quality and character that they can't be used to secure an indictment (for perjury)."

Bonds said he hadn't told the Giants staff what he was doing with Anderson because he didn't trust them.

"No way ... we don't trust the ball team," Bonds said. "We don't trust baseball. ... Believe me, it's a business. I don't trust their doctors or nothing."

That lack of trust also led Bonds to ask Anderson to have him tested for steroids in 2003. Major League Baseball had just begun testing players for steroids, and Bonds said he was suspicious about it.

"We got tested two times this season unannounced," Bonds said. "I don't trust baseball. They say it's anonymous, but then they put your name on it. So I don't trust baseball. So I asked Greg ... 'I want to know what baseball's doing behind our backs.'

"I never saw the papers, never saw the results. Greg just said, 'You're negative.' "

At times, Bonds bantered with prosecutors and grand jurors.

Early on, a prosecutor asked whether Bonds had been confused by an explanation of how the hearing would be conducted.

"Yes -- you are confusing," Bonds said. Turning to the grand jurors, the outfielder said, "Is he confusing to you guys? I'm glad it's not me."

At other times, Bonds provided answers that weren't necessarily responsive to questions but that still contained personal insights about baseball's single-season home run king.

Asked whether he had ever discussed the BALCO probe with Anderson, Bonds said, "The only thing I asked Greg, 'What's it like getting your door blown down. Dude, I never seen anything like that except on TV.' That's about as far as we went on it."

Then, in an attempt to explain why he wasn't more inquisitive, Bonds said he had learned privacy concerns growing up as the son of a Giants All-Star.

"I was a celebrity child ... with a famous father," he said. "I just don't get into other people's business because of my father's situation, see."

Asked to name his greatest achievement, Bonds seemed to surprise a prosecutor expecting him to name the home run record.

The greatest achievement, Bonds said, was "when I was drafted in 1985" to play professional baseball. "There's no better achievement than fulfilling your goal."

semperfi.gif

No where does Bonds ever admit to anything.  He denies everything.  Why doesn't he get the same benfit of doubt that McGwire gets? 

Because he's black and Mac is white?(I'm talking about the press not board member)

Because he's an a$$ and Mac isn't?

Because he has 7 MVP's and 8 Gold Gloves to Mac's Rookieof the Year and 1 Gold Glove? All of which, except his recent 4 MVP's, came for his body "explosion" . 

Because it's easier to think a guy cheated, than believe he worked hard?  Everything you hear about Bonds is how he works out all the time, just like Mac did.

Because Mac is a family guy and Barry's not?  Mac Greated his son at home and Barry complain about child support.

Unfortunately, I think it just boils down to the attitudes of either player that makes people judge whether either took steroids or not.

I saw, I came, I left.

Unfortunately, I think it just boils down to the attitudes of either player that makes people judge whether either took steroids or not.

Actually, the difference is that Bonds admitted to taking ILLEGAL steriods (the cream, the clear) under trail by grand jury. He may suggest (laughably) that he didnt know what they were, but he still admits to taking them. At no point has McGwire admitted to taking anything that was illegal at the time he took it. The difference is that we know for a fact that Bonds has used ILLEGAL supplements. That simply cannot be said about Mark McGwire.

Bonds haters are Bonds haters. Mac defenders are Mac defenders. You're not gonna sway either side.

We KNOW one used a performance enhancer. We THINKwe know the other one did.

We THINK one admitted it to a grand jury. We KNOW another denies any use. Mac got lucky and was gone from the Bay area by the time BALCO took off or you can probably be sure he'd be involved.

I like them both, and could careless. Just like being the devils advocate at times.

Somewhere along the line McGwire became an american folk hero. We want to believe everything he says is the truth. Bonds is viewed as a thug and punk, most want to assume he is lying and cheating.

I can't help but believe there is a sort of underlying racism prevalent in american society for this to be the point. It's so easy to believe a man broke a record with ease, that lasted for almost 40 years, and did it fairly. Yet, a man who broke it a few years later had to be cheating.

The reality is neither one broke the record under the same physical conditions that Maris & Ruth set it with. To Ruth, a salad would have been a performance enhancer.

semperfi.gif

I forgot, was there any drug controversy surrounding Bonds in 2001?

Anyways, let's forget this scandal and talk about a real scandal :D

Courtesy of the Sydney Morning Herald:

In one of the most bizarre drug testing cases in Australia, two elderly Victorian bocce players face two-year bans from the sport after testing positive to banned drugs they took for their heart conditions.

But the bocce players, one an Italian immigrant in his 60s who speaks limited English and a slightly younger woman, were both taking medically prescribed beta-blockers as part of their heart medications when they gave their urine samples during the Australian championships in Adelaide, just before the Athens Olympics.

It is understood the man is particularly distressed at the test results and there are serious fears for his health.

The court of arbitration for sport is hearing the cases and determining whether the players will be banned from the sport.

But Victorian bocce enthusiasts, largely of Italian descent and over 50, have rallied around the players, and some colleagues are outraged.

One player who did not want to be named complained the drug testers were "over the top" and "destroying the two peoples' lives".

"As if these two people playing a sport they enjoy are seeking to cheat. They are taking the drugs to simply live," he said.

An Australian Sports Drug Agency spokesman, Sean Winnett, said he could not confirm any current investigations until the agency's quarterly results were released next week. He said the agency had conducted seven tests in the sport of bocce in the past financial year.

"The sport receives government funding and has an anti-doping policy, so that is why bocce players are tested," he said. "No one is doubting that bocce is a lower-risk sport than some others going around, but you can see that by the fact they receive low levels of testing."

The bocce incident has exposed an educational weakness in the system.

Usually, athletes who are taking prescribed medications can seek therapeutic-use exemptions from the drug agency beforehand. In both of these cases, the exemptions had not been sought.

Under its charter, the agency has the legislative power to test 104 sports, including fringe activities such as ultralight aircraft, ballooning, flying disc, fishing, rock climbing, tug-of-war and vigoro.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived