Legitimate 3rd color jerseys

chakfu

With the talk about 76er jerseys, I got thinking about what teams really warrant a 3rd jersey. Mostly teams that have traditionally used 2 different colors, and can't seem to decide which is best; some teams have 2 different colors which fit well within their tradition.

I'm only including NBA and NFL because the white/gray system makes 3rd color plausible for all teams....some teams could never decide what color their road jersey should be, and 3rd jerseys let them use both

NBA

76ers - Red and Blue (not black!)

Trail Blazers - Black and Red

Mavericks - Blue and Green - it's nice to see Green reintroduced

Heat - Red and Black

Clippers - Red and Blue

are the ones that come to mind

Bulls black seems ok too, as does Minnesota black and blue.

Orlando could use a black alt, but I think it would be ugly with the current scheme, Sacto black, maybe Milwaukee green (am I the only one who liked the ones with the buck on the front?)

a Bobcats black and blue with orange trim might be ok.

are the ones that come to mind.

teams with yellow jerseys are a raise a different question since I think Yellow should be a home color like the Lakers, not a road alternate like other teams...but Indiana seems reasonable in a yellow third, as would Golden State if they had their old scheme-not sure about the orange though. Cleveland could use gold jerseys.

most other ones seem forced...I don't care for Pistons in red, I wouldn't reintroduce that; if Utah had never changed from purple and gold, would a green alternate go over well? Ugh. Isn't it nice how Utah's color/uni change basically made their new identity no identity at all?

The worst ever was the red Seattle uni's. Phoenix in black was weak too...

NFL coming up in pt 2

as for the NFL, the first that comes to mind is Carolina - carolina blue and black are both nice...

mostly these are teams that switched to a new color and established some history, but still ought to use the old occasionally

Broncos - reasonable to bring back the orange in addition to the blue.

Patriots - a red alt would make sense.

Atlanta - black and red - the only true nfl example of a team that can't decide which to use. Interesting that this scenario often happens with red and black - see Miami Heat and Portland Trail Blazers

Ravens black seems appropriate in addition to the purple, although I would prefer the team's nonexistence.

Texans red and blue seem to be establishing themselves.

Cincinnati orange seems reasonable with their being tigers...

and the light blue Titans seems a decent homage to the Oilers, although they don't look great.

interestingly, a lot more nfl teams' alternates seem forced than do the NBA - is it because more nfl teams have seemed to have more consisten uniform traditions?

Beinga Dolphins fan I can honestly say our orange jerseys look like crap! It looks like they're trying to mimic the old Buccaneers jerseys. I think they should have used the Navy Blue that's in their color scheme, but really Miami shouldn't have a 3rd jersey.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Beinga Dolphins fan I can honestly say our orange jerseys look like crap! It looks like they're trying to mimic the old Buccaneers jerseys. I think they should have used the Navy Blue that's in their color scheme, but really Miami shouldn't have a 3rd jersey.

Miami is making a small change to their Orange/Coral alts for 2005...the sleeve striping will be modified a bit. The striping pattern will go Navy Blue-White-Coral-Aqua-Coral-White-Navy Blue as opposed to the previous Navy Blue-White-Aqua-Coral-Aqua-White-Navy Blue.

The Aqua stripe in the middle will stand out more.

Archived