Zoneranger's Whozis #165

zoneranger

John Wooden was a fabulous player before becoming the most successful coach in college basketball history. He enjoyed an All-State career at Martinsville High School, and at Purdue University was called the "Indiana Rubber Man" for his suicidal dives on the court. An excellent play maker and aggressive defender, Wooden was athree-time Helms Athletic Foundation All-America and named College Player of the Year in 1932, the year he and fellow Hall of Famer Charles "Stretch" Murphy led Purdue to the national championship. Wooden, who cites Ward Lambert, his Purdue coach, as being his greatest coaching influence, enjoyed a brief but successful semi-pro career before turning his complete attention to coaching.

Good eye ABASite! B)

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

John Wooden was a fabulous player before becoming the most successful coach in college basketball history. He enjoyed an All-State career at Martinsville High School, and at Purdue University was called the "Indiana Rubber Man" for his suicidal dives on the court. An excellent play maker and aggressive defender, Wooden was athree-time Helms Athletic Foundation All-America and named College Player of the Year in 1932, the year he and fellow Hall of Famer Charles "Stretch" Murphy led Purdue to the national championship. Wooden, who cites Ward Lambert, his Purdue coach, as being his greatest coaching influence, enjoyed a brief but successful semi-pro career before turning his complete attention to coaching.

Good eye ABASite! B)

Thanks. I wrote to him and got a signed photo last year, and one of the photos on it was of him with Purdue. The guy in the photo looked a lot like him, so I figured I'd throw that out. ^_^

Archived