NFL Teams VS. CFL Teams

Bleujayone

* The Calgary Stampeders, featuring Doug Flutie, defeated the Toronto Argonauts, featuring Raghib Ismail, 20-1 in front of 15,362 fans.

I'm not too familiar with CFL rules....how the hell do you only score 1 point in a football game?

I was wondering the same thing, actually.

IUe6Hvh.png

From the CFL rule book-

Article 4: Single Point or Rouge

If the ball is kicked into the goal area by an opponent, a rouge is scored (1) when the ball becomes dead in possession of a team in its own goal area or (2) when the ball touches or crosses the deadline, or a side-line-in-goal, and touches the ground, a player, or some object beyond these lines.

AR Team A kicks to Team B. B1 attempting to catch the ball on Team B 3 yard line, fumbles it and is tackled with the ball in possession in the Team B goal area. Ruling - rouge (ball deemed to have been kicked into goal area by Team A).

AR Team A kicks to Team B. B1 catches the ball in the field of play while moving towards own goal line and, in the judgment of the official, the momentum carries B1 into own goal area. Ruling - possession deemed to have been gained in the goal area.

After a rouge the team scored against shall next put the ball into play by a scrimmage as first down at any point between the hash marks on its 35-yard line.

If the single point was scored as the result of an unsuccessful field goal attempt the team scored against may elect to scrimmage the ball at any point between the hash marks on its own 35 yard line or at the previous line of scrimmage.

Note: For the purposes of this Article a drop kick or place kick shall, without exception, be deemed to be a field goal attempt.

Note: If during a kickoff the kicked ball proceeds through the goal area and across the deadline or sideline in goal without being touched there shall be no score and the ball shall be awarded to the receiving team at any point between the hash marks on its own 25-yard line.

On another board I had an ongoing discussion of whether this applied to kickoffs--well I finally found that in the rulebook as well-

SECTION 4: MISCELLANEOUS

No score can be made from a kickoff unless the ball, after it is kicked off, is touched by a player of either team within bounds.

I don't like it on missed field goals--but I like the idea on punts.

If the punt goes in the endzone in the NFL you can just down the ball and get it on your 20, but in the CFL if you do you give up a point!

And before you ask--in the CFL they still like to try and punt it out of bounds inside the 5.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived