Home Team's Side in a Ballpark?

rmackman

The Pirates are on the 3rd base side. This is because beyond the rightfield wall is the beautiful Pittsburgh skyline, and the Pirates wanted the team to be able to have the better view.

There's the problem right there! They spend too much time gazing at the (incredible) view, and can't focus on the actual game!

Also, the "Sun Theroy" was just something that popped in my head when I thought about this, it isn't a real theroy or anything like that. I guess it doesn't make sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The sun theory does make sense. I remember the Twins were on the first-base side at old Metropolitan Stadium, and if you ever sat in the third-base stands there, you would know the sun was nasty in the eyes.

Of course, now, at the Metrodome, they don't have to worry about that. And they're on the third-base side at the Dome.

In Cleveland the Indian's dugout is on the 3rd Base side.

Actually, when the were making the Jake, they were all set to put the home dugout on the 1B-side. However, when they were constructing it, they realized they had more room on the 3B-side to have all of the team's facilities (i.e. clubhouse, weight-room, training room, batting cages).

The sudden change can still be evidenced in the reversed bullpens, although a couple of teams have followed with the opposite placement.

If I remember correctly, Qualcomm's bullpens were like that, with the Padres' pen along the third-base line and the visitor's pen along the first-base line. I think that was so the manager and other coaches could simply look across the field to see if the pitcher was ready.

If I remember correctly, Qualcomm's bullpens were like that, with the Padres' pen along the third-base line and the visitor's pen along the first-base line. I think that was so the manager and other coaches could simply look across the field to see if the pitcher was ready.

Yeah, after it was built, Grover (manager Mike Hargrove) was a big advocate of it and the opponents were upset because the Tribe bullpen is kind of "hidden" as a result.

Archived