Name Plates

rmackman

I know the Atlanta Braves still use nameplates on the back of their jerseys, but it seems most MLB teams have done away with having a nameplate between the letters and the jersey. NFL jerseys still have them, NBA teams almost never did, and it seems like the NHL did away with them as well. Anyone have any ideas as to why this happened? I think they look better with the nameplates if you ask me.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It's a cleaner look, if you ask me. Especially if you have pinstripes.

The Phillies, in the early 80s, sewed their names directly onto the jerseys. But later on (between 1988 and 1992), they used a nameplate for the home jersey and it just didn't look good.

I believe there was a thread about this a week or two back...someone posted a pic of Jon Lieber and a lengthy scuffle ensued.

In fact, here's the thread (all 5 pages of it):

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=20892

Not that there's anything wrong with this thread, but you might find the discussion interesting and quite relevant...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Archived